4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Tried to start a burnout in 2nd gear, and it failed

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 06:53 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Default Tried to start a burnout in 2nd gear, and it failed

Ive done alot of 1st to 2nd gear burnouts where i shift to 2nd at about 5 mph but at redline in 1st with the wheels allready spinning...

well i decided to try starting out in 2nd so i revved to like 3500 dropped the clutch.. well it slipped and burned pretty bad for a second.. i let off obviously when the wheels just didnt start spinning but the engine revved up to mabe 4500+ rpm with the clutch slipping in 2nd. Smelled horrible... kind of thought it caught fire for a second..

The rest of the drive home felt pretty normal.. think i fuked anything up? I didnt try any more launches after burning it.

clutch is only like 1500 miles old.

one more issue with my clutch is that it vibrates, it seems like the cable or quadrant is vibrating on something... ive tried adjusting it but to no success(this was happening before this fail burnout and still after)

Last edited by Andy13186; 10-26-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andy13186
Ive done alot of 1st to 2nd gear burnouts where i shift to 2nd at about 5 mph but at redline in 1st with the wheels allready spinning...

well i decided to try starting out in 2nd so i revved to like 3500 dropped the clutch.. well it slipped and burned pretty bad for a second.. i let off obviously when the wheels just didnt start spinning but the engine revved up to mabe 4500+ rpm with the clutch slipping in 2nd. Smelled horrible... kind of thought it caught fire for a second..

The rest of the drive home felt pretty normal.. think i fuked anything up? I didnt try any more launches after burning it.

clutch is only like 1500 miles old.

one more issue with my clutch is that it vibrates, it seems like the cable or quadrant is vibrating on something... ive tried adjusting it but to no success(this was happening before this fail burnout and still after)
The only problem i see is you smoked your clutch, not your tires
Its not to good for the disc and could glaze it.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:42 PM
sv650lex
2nd Gear Member

don't worry about it. Next time dump the clutch at closer to 6K. Make sure you dont let up gently but just dump it.

P.S. If your tires hook kiss your axles goodbye
Old 10-27-2011, 11:16 AM
CobraFrenzy
3rd Gear Member

Been there done that lol do you hav radials? That makes it a lil harder sometimes
Old 10-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Shredder505
2nd Gear Member

Only thing I can say is ouch!

As for the cable vibrations, I had a similar problem and I solved it by making the clutch as tight as possible, because it had something to do the extra cable slack. Just turn the car on and turn tighten the your clutch to see if the noise stops.

Good Luck
Old 10-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Explosive

Rev it high and side step that bitch. Thats how I do all my burnouts in my Foxbody.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:19 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

What are your mods? Stock gears?
Old 10-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Jay-rod427
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Explosive
Rev it high and side step that bitch. Thats how I do all my burnouts in my Foxbody.
That is so hard on the whole drivetrain... Let the clutch out slightly just enough to take the slack out of the trans, u-joints, and rear diff and then side step the **** out of it.

OP question about this new clutch that slipped. Did you properly follow the break in procedure for it, or pull out of the garage and start beating the **** out of it?
Old 10-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shredder505
Only thing I can say is ouch!

As for the cable vibrations, I had a similar problem and I solved it by making the clutch as tight as possible, because it had something to do the extra cable slack. Just turn the car on and turn tighten the your clutch to see if the noise stops.

Good Luck
Hmm, is that in the engine bay near the firewall? Ill have to look into that, i do think the cable has a bit of slack in it.

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
What are your mods? Stock gears?
yes stock gears, stock car except for flowmasters and a cobra clutch pack in the differential for some solid 2 wheel lockups.

Originally Posted by Jay-rod427
That is so hard on the whole drivetrain... Let the clutch out slightly just enough to take the slack out of the trans, u-joints, and rear diff and then side step the **** out of it.

OP question about this new clutch that slipped. Did you properly follow the break in procedure for it, or pull out of the garage and start beating the **** out of it?
Well i drove it kind of easy for the 1st 200 miles or so, after that i did some epic burnouts with no clutch slip..

are you saying a nice 3500-4500 rpm 2nd gear clutch burn isnt proper break in procedure? lol

It seems to be working fine today.

I was rolling about 2 mph when i attempted this, may have contributed to the tires not breaking traction i suppose. (normal nt555 tires)

Last edited by Andy13186; 10-27-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Shredder505
2nd Gear Member

Ya it is on the driver side, right behind the brake fluid container, it looks like a really big bolt with a tube coming trough the middle, just turn it counter clockwise the tighten and clockwise to loosen the clutch cable. just make sure the car is running so you can tell if you have made a difference, but don't take it to an extreame and turn it too far as it will cause the clutch to be partially pushed in and we all know what will happen there. Just turn the **** and if the noise stops take a short ride around the block to check to make sure you haven't gone too far

Good luck

Quick Reply: Tried to start a burnout in 2nd gear, and it failed