4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Lowered 02 GT: subframe connectors work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 05:57 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

I have kenny brown SFC's!

The best way to get good ride quality while being low is coilovers...

What is the spring rating on those H&R sport springs? Are they linear or progressive?

You should have just went with the supersport and bilsteins if it was in the budget. I know a few people who have H&R SS and tokico HP's and they say it's a little harsh but not terrible..
Old 11-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

IlikeAllCurves... shocks/struts and spring combonations are not my strong point, but I think this is more a matter of what one gets when lowering a Mustang

I am sure some other shocks/struts may improve your ride, but probably not a whole lot. This is because when you drop the car 1.5", you have less clearance between your bump-stops and your suspension travel limits. This limit in travel, requires the springs be stiffer to deaden a drop sooner than your OEM spring rate, to avoid bottoming out. This makes the ride harsher and performance struts/shocks also work to quicky slow the rate of compression/jounce down a bit. The two combined, lead to a harsher ride, so you won't find a big difference between different manufacturers, in most cases.

If you went to a full Bullitt spring/shock/strut combo, you WOULD ride better I'm sure, but still stiffer than OEM, but at some expense. Your best bet is to ride in another New Edge Stang with different combonations of springs/shocks/struts. Problem with THAT is.... tires and some other things come into play as well. You are just gonna have to read all the reviews you can and speak to those more knowledeable than I (plenty of those around!) Hit up the suspension section, if you have not already, and post this concern. Norm Peterson has MASSIVE amounts of knowledge on this stuff and will be far more help than I.

Jazzer
Old 11-18-2011, 06:02 PM
IlikeAllCurves

Thanks Jazzer and HPWrestler- I appreciate the input. I'll definitely put up a post in the suspension section, now that I know where to go for it.

As for using H&R Super Sport springs instead of just Sport- the SS lowered it a bit more and I didn't want to risk even more harshness. As far as looks go the Sport to me is exactly right.

I think what I'm going to do, in order, is first put on SFC's because it seems that is a basic structural issue that needs to be taken care of. I'll see if that helps at all, though I imagine it will only help a little with comfort (but every little bit..).

Then I'll put on some new tires- I need them anyway. I know that's contributing to the ride issues. I currently have Michelin All Season Pilot Sports that are dry rotted. They are fantastic tires- way better than the Falkons the car had when I got it, and the ride improved a lot. The downside is they are expensive and dry rot relatively fast. But the ride/handling were so good I might try to spring for a new set. I'll do some research to see if there are better alternatives, at any rate, before I spend the $$.

So once those basics are done I'll see if the ride is dealable. Like I said, I knew it would be somewhat firmer- it's a trade off- I just need it to be within an acceptable comfort level. Maybe those things will get close. If they don't and it's still a teeth grit situation I'll look to replace the springs/shocks and just eat it as a learning experience. Hoping to get lucky with the SFC and tires, though (and some strategic sound proofing in the trunk!).

Many thanks again for everyone's advice.