4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

ECUs.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 01:45 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Default ECUs.....

What are the ID codes on the ECU's used with the SOHC and DOHC motors?
Old 11-22-2011, 10:27 PM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

projectresto83...you can probably find all of them if you do a google search. And on the Quarterhorse website there is a link somewhere that has a good amount (if not all) the codes for Fords. Curious, why do you ask for the codes?
Old 11-23-2011, 02:42 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by DeathRattle
projectresto83...you can probably find all of them if you do a google search. And on the Quarterhorse website there is a link somewhere that has a good amount (if not all) the codes for Fords. Curious, why do you ask for the codes?

I'm not asking for OBD2 trouble codes...... I'm asking for the ID for the ECU...such as the A9L, A9P and A9M used on the 5.0.........
Old 11-23-2011, 02:56 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

deleted...

Last edited by cliffyk; 11-23-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:26 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I took what he said, Why I ask for the codes.... as why I am asking for trouble codes..... sorry if I sounded like an ***...not tryin to....it was 340 in the morning after I got woke up by the damn dog....

I am asking for the ID codes so I can learn as much as possible about the 4.6 setup....what will work with what and what won't, which computers go with what years and what motor setups...... I like to expand my knowledge on a subject I am about to dive head first into. I am going to be dropping a 4.6 into my 83 starting next spring. I am doing as much research as possible before I start.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:42 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by projectresto83
I took what he said, Why I ask for the codes.... as why I am asking for trouble codes..... sorry if I sounded like an ***...not tryin to....it was 340 in the morning after I got woke up by the damn dog....

I am asking for the ID codes so I can learn as much as possible about the 4.6 setup....what will work with what and what won't, which computers go with what years and what motor setups...... I like to expand my knowledge on a subject I am about to dive head first into. I am going to be dropping a 4.6 into my 83 starting next spring. I am doing as much research as possible before I start.
Such information is not readily available, as those that have it spent many long hours accumulating it and are disinclined to give it away for free.

Your best bet is to get the engine harness and PCM from your donor vehicle...
Old 11-23-2011, 08:37 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Such information is not readily available, as those that have it spent many long hours accumulating it and are disinclined to give it away for free.

Your best bet is to get the engine harness and PCM from your donor vehicle...
With what I am going to be doing with my project having a complete donor vehicle would be my overall best option because not only am I doing a motor swap I am also swapping the interior and the whole body harness. Everything is going to be SN/new edge except the body itself.

And you are thinking way too much into what I am asking. I don't care about the actual tuning of the computers. Thanks for the info though! I will figure that out for myself once I purchase a tuner.

The first pic with the part numbers is a start....thanks BUT

For example with the 5.0.....

A9L is a 5.0 Mass air standard transmission computer
A9P and A9M are 5.0 Mass air automatic transmission
X3Z is a 93 Cobra computer...

Catch my drift???

Last edited by projectresto83; 11-23-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:59 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Ok, now that I look into it a little more it doesn't seem as easy as I thought picking one computer from another it seems...

Is what I am reading right.......the code changes during the year/model just from them being reflashed? I know the mod motor ECU's are not as "universal" as the 5.0 computer is...and i know specific keys go with specific computers and what not....
Old 11-23-2011, 10:27 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by projectresto83
With what I am going to be doing with my project having a complete donor vehicle would be my overall best option because not only am I doing a motor swap I am also swapping the interior and the whole body harness. Everything is going to be SN/new edge except the body itself.

And you are thinking way too much into what I am asking. I don't care about the actual tuning of the computers. Thanks for the info though! I will figure that out for myself once I purchase a tuner.

The first pic with the part numbers is a start....thanks BUT

For example with the 5.0.....

A9L is a 5.0 Mass air standard transmission computer
A9P and A9M are 5.0 Mass air automatic transmission
X3Z is a 93 Cobra computer...

Catch my drift???
Sorry I could not be of any assistance...
Old 11-23-2011, 10:50 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Not saying you were not being of any assistance man. The more I look into it I'm noticing its not as simple to say this computer is for this car with this transmission...