4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

On3Perormance turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 12:52 PM
Jgusmach1

Default On3Perormance turbo kit

Hi I am new to the forum so if yall could welcome me with some input/ideas that would be great. I bought a used On3Performance turbo kit for my 04 Mach 1. The kit came off an 03 GT, kit included: Hot side piping, turbo, a universal cold side (didnt work), wastegate, couplers, v bands, coilovers, qa1 k member, and A arms (didnt work). All for $1850.00. Then bought all the needed parts: fuel system, 90mm MAF, Tial BOV, New wastegate (old one had stripped out allen bolts), wide band, boost gauge, turbo timer, vacuum hoses, ect... Ended up spending about $5500.00 after tuning and installation. $500.00 tune by P.S.I. Motor Sports in Webster, Tx. Install was only $1200.00 and to my understanding they had to do a lot of fab work because of the previous owner of the kit, then $600.00 more on new A arms, bumpsteer kit, air filter, and cold side piping they robbed off a kit they had at the shop, that did the install. Not bad i guess from the info i've seen off other forums. Now for the problems... First, every V band on the pre turbo side had exhaust leaks. Second, was the On3Performance 60# injectors i bought were hung up/stuck open ??????? says P.S.I. Motor Sports. Fuel was literally dumping out of the exhaust. I went from 3/4 of a tank to 1/4 in about 30 mins. Be careful with on3's injectors. I had to buy a $399.00 set from P.S.I. plus install which was only 1/2 hr thanks to them trying to help me out. Bottom line the kit isnt as cheap as ppl make it seem and my over all question is did anybody else have the leaks on the pre turbo side?????? Maybe the injector problems??????? Thanks for looking
Old 03-20-2012, 01:25 PM
CobraFrenzy
3rd Gear Member

That's sucks nothin like spending all the money to hav it done and hav proms... But I guess that comes with the game.. Personally I havnt heard alot of good things about on3 turbo kits but idk
Old 03-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Jgusmach1

Yeah part of the game is right but I am not to worried yet psi is confident in fixing the leaks and the new injectors will fix that problem so far the problems havent been to big. Thanks for the reply
Old 03-20-2012, 01:34 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

You bought a turbo kit for a 2v and tried installing it on your 4v and don't understand why you're having leaks?

You ever stop and think that maybe the 2v turbo kit won't work with a 4v? If you called and asked On3 they'll tell you they won't interchange. It's not On3's fault for your headaches.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:10 PM
Jgusmach1

Lol come on bro. Yes I called them and they said "it would work, that maybe the exhaust port off the exhaust manifold would be different" but that was altered before the car was even in the shop, which doesnt really make since why i am having leaks at the v band connections. I guess the real question is did anyone use any type of sealant/gasket? The On3 injectors dont have anything to do with the kit though. I dont really recall saying anything was on3's fault though, thanks for your wasted time
Old 03-20-2012, 03:57 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

First off i would say icwould agree that fitment may have been a slight issue because it was a 2v kit. Other than that, i know after reading many threads on various forums about this kit that most guys either use gasket maker with the on 3 v bands or buy better ones. Also, if you read on there site, i believe they fitted the kit with either a upr or a mm k member and say fitment with others could be an issue. As for the rest, i've read enough to believe the quality of their piping is ok. Given the price of the kit and the price of most good turbo parts out there, i personally would not trust their turbos, wastegates, bov's, injectors, etc. You didnt use a lightning maf, did you? Also, given the price it would cost you off of on3 to buy a kit, no offense but i think you got ripped off. With the money you ended up spending you prolly could have bought the new forward facing kit.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:59 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

Although at first the price seems pretty good, it was a used kit, and a used kit made for a 2v. I think I would have just bought a new one
Old 03-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Jgusmach1

The $5500.00 includes all the extras that arent even mentioned with the kit... Caster Camber plates $200, Guages $300, Turbo Timer $120, New struts $325, Boost controler $100, Bumpsteer kit $115, plus new wastegate and BOV. There could be a couple things i am forgtting to mention. But I have done the math several times I saved about $1,500.00. I am happy for sure not worried about the kit, everything was very clean and went up with MINOR fab work the shop said. Both shops that put thier hands on the car said none of the turbo kits just bolt up (not helion, On3, or any of the others out there), theres always minor fab work to be done ALWAYS... Everything brand new would of costed about $6900.00

BTW when On3 designed the kit they used a QA1 K-Member and said the AJE k member would work too. Not to use the Granatelli setups.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Jgusmach1

Also forgot to mention PSI called and said everything is fixed. They dropped the new injectors in and simply aligned the pipes and retightned the V bands and all leaks are fixed. Luckily no gasket maker was needed. Ive heard if the pipes are aligned right and the meet at the V band flush that no gasket should be needed, glad that worked out.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:25 AM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

thats good, now post a video up here

Quick Reply: On3Perormance turbo kit