4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Tuning help

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 11:32 AM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
"A man's GOT to know his limitations."

Harry Callahan, Magnum Force 1973
+1 Cliffy, that says it all.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:02 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by uberstang1
I can understand what cliffy is getting at, but wannabe what are u trying to say, without any kind of equipment u think u can slap a blower on a car change some settings in a tuner and go spank it around? I have yet to see a supercharger mustang that hasnt been tuned with either a can or box tune that came with the blower or tuned by a dyno tuner.
The only equipment you need is a wideband. A dyno just makes tuning easier and faster. Other than fuel the OP can make adjusts with his handheld but if he has a tune already he probably doesn't need to make much, if any, adjustments.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:08 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I understand u can make easy and safe adjustmets for a bolt on car, but i doubt there is anyone out there with a fi mustang that purchased a blower for example, installed it , installed a wideband, and took it out and tuned it themselves, and im not talking about trying to tweak a precanned tune that came with a kit, im talking full blown tune from stock a superchaged car, it just doesnt happen.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:15 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I understand u can make easy and safe adjustmets for a bolt on car, but i doubt there is anyone out there with a fi mustang that purchased a blower for example, installed it , installed a wideband, and took it out and tuned it themselves, and im not talking about trying to tweak a precanned tune that came with a kit, im talking full blown tune from stock a superchaged car, it just doesnt happen.
It does, and it is not anywhere near as complex a task as many seem to feel it is, particularly with a MAF based system.

Obviously the MAF Transfer Function and injector settings (Low and High Slopes, Breakpoint, Minimum Pulse Width) need to be changed to match the capacities of any upgraded components. Additionally the ignition timing would be retarded at higher loads in the Spark Borderline Table, and the air/fuel mix enrichened, also at higher loads, in the Stabilized Open Loop Fuel Table.

If the maximum airflow will exceed 1740 kg/h (3830 lb/h, about 550 fwHP) you need to scale the MAF Transfer Function, the Standard Air Charge value, the injector flow rates and breakpoint, and Intake Manifold Volume.

That's about it to get it running, final tweaking is done with a wideband O² system, data-logging, and two or three of your five senses.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:15 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Notsureifsrs.jpg

Have you ever been on tuning forums? People do this all the time. You think your tuner just randomly plugs in values when tuning? No. There are "value files" (that's what SCT calls them) out there that you use to get your tune "in the ballpark." Then you "fine tune" your car to dial in the AFRs.

I don't understand how you can argue about something you clearly have little to no knowledge about.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:09 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
Notsureifsrs.jpg

Have you ever been on tuning forums? People do this all the time. You think your tuner just randomly plugs in values when tuning? No. There are "value files" (that's what SCT calls them) out there that you use to get your tune "in the ballpark." Then you "fine tune" your car to dial in the AFRs.

I don't understand how you can argue about something you clearly have little to no knowledge about.
Im not talking about professional tuners, or tunning gurus, im talking about the average DIY mustang owner, which won't be able to tune a s/c car from scratch, you can regurgitate all the information that you have read on forums or sites, but you haven never tuned a supercharged car from scratch.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:25 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Im not talking about professional tuners, or tunning gurus, im talking about the average DIY mustang owner, which won't be able to tune a s/c car from scratch, you can regurgitate all the information that you have read on forums or sites, but you haven never tuned a supercharged car from scratch.
How exactly would you know that?

In fact I have, for 15+ years now, and so could you if you were to overcome your inhibitions and self-doubt, and take time to learn...
Old 05-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Romer
2nd Gear Member

I think I'm gonna have to side with uberstang here. I have now had my car tuned twice by reputable tuners over email and me dataloging and it has definetly not been easy and not just modifications to a base tune by far. My car had TFS heads, intake, blower and various cams and getting that crap to run anywhere near stock was not easy. Experience is everything.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:51 PM
DjBootleg813
1st Gear Member

Omg lol I gotta be honest its so annoying to see that my post have a bunch of responces but none of them answer my original question..
Old 05-01-2012, 06:34 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by DjBootleg813
Omg lol I gotta be honest its so annoying to see that my post have a bunch of responces but none of them answer my original question..
My response, the first to your query, answered your question...

Quick Reply: Tuning help