4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Cheap VS. Brand CAI

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 05:31 PM
razor9546

Default Cheap VS. Brand CAI

Well, I was actually just about to order the SR Performance CAI from AM (http://www.americanmuscle.com/mugtv8pocoai.html) but read a lot of reviews saying how it has almost 0 benefits toward a stock GT (which is what I basically have) plus it is very cheaply made. Now, I don't see the point of spending 80 dollars for nothing what so ever. Then I stumbled upon the K&N (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/kn...519-3/overview). The price tag is a little higher then I wanted to spend on an intake, but I have read reviews saying you will be actually able to hear the sound of the K&N and that your exhaust will sound a tiny bit deeper plus a little HP gains, considering i'm not going to be using a tune. My question is, is the K&N worth it? I have heard so much to as brand name is the way to go vs how brand name and no name intakes are the same.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:44 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

drop in a k&n filter and save 175$
Old 04-27-2013, 05:53 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

The stock air intake system does a very good job compared to the aftermarket units. Replace the air filter and remove the silencer cone/snorkel and leave it at that unless you also wanted something that looks nice under the hood.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:55 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
The stock air intake system does a very good job compared to the aftermarket units. Replace the air filter and remove the silencer cone/snorkel and leave it at that unless you also wanted something that looks nice under the hood.
This.

Only setup I would spend money on is the C&L setup.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:30 PM
Vertigo_GT
2nd Gear Member

I know you said you weren't going to get a tune, but for about 50 bucks more than you were considering plopping down for the K&N cai you could get the SCT 4 bank Eliminator chip with free Bama tunes for life. That would increase HP and across the board performance plus probably give you the better sound you want. Just a thought.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:19 AM
Luke13
2nd Gear Member

I've got the SR one from American muscle. I had no fitment issues with it and took less than an hour to get it in. It was almost the same as a BBK intake I bought a couple years ago for my other mustang.

The only reason I bought it was to clean up the engine bay and fit my larger throttle body better than the stock intake. If you're worried about HP thru the intake system, just get the K&N filter.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:32 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
This has been proven on gt's time after time to be just as good as a after market cai which would only benefit 2-3 rwhp at most. 0-1 rwhp is more likely gained.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:49 AM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

i just removed the silencer cone and put a k&n on and i couldn't be happier. does the job!
Old 04-28-2013, 11:52 AM
MaxxRPM
1st Gear Member

The K&N FIPK made my stock exhaust louder when I'd get on it.
When its just idling, you can hear the sucking sound coming from the K&N (even with the hood closed).

As far as performance?
One day I took off the FIPK and put the stock unit back on cause I was thinking about trading the car off. The car didn't feel as peppy as it did with the FIPK............
.........When I said this before in another post, it was pretty much dismissed like I was some kind of an idiot so I'll just say "I'd buy one"....
Old 04-28-2013, 07:12 PM
razor9546

I appreciate the responses everyone. I decided to order the K&N FIPK kit from summit racing. I have read some scenarios where fender CAI's can suck in water. We get all kinds of crazy weather here in NJ and it floods quite a bit where I live and my car is lowered. I don't want to take the chance although it is pretty rare for that to happen. K&N has there million mile warranty and I have heard nothing but good things about there intake and brand. Plus it looks pretty under the hood.

Quick Reply: Cheap VS. Brand CAI