4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Wheelspin light

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 11:03 AM
EaZy DuZ iT
4th Gear Member

Default Wheelspin light

Hey guys,

I was driving to work today on the freeway when my wheelspin light came on (Green wheel light and it cuts fuel off) three seperate times. No bumps on the road, no water, Dry and perfectly fine (I always take the same road). When it happened the third time, I decieded to just turn my tracation control off and drive it to work(worked fine). Any issues what this might be? ABS Module faling? ABS fuel? Traction control problem?

I don't mind driving the car without traction control, but I perfer it on especially when it rains.

Any experiences or input will be greatly appreciated.

Car is 2004 mustang gt at 148,000 miles. Two days before this incident, I replaced the front tires (Waitng to get alignment on the weekend when I have time).

Thanks guys!
Old 04-09-2014, 11:48 AM
needmorespeed
1st Gear Member

Front tire's shouldn't be an issue or the light would be on all the time. My guess is a wheel speed sensor could be going bad or a bad connection.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:36 AM
EaZy DuZ iT
4th Gear Member

I took the car to two shops. Neither shop even drove the car. One said your mufflers are clogged (I don't even have mufflers O_o) and the other said its your transmission. I work full time so its hard for me to make it to a shop on time. I feel like this forum is the best bet to diagnosing this issue.

Best way I could describe it is once I get near 70mph, the green wheelspin light comes on the dash, fuel-cuts and I need to wait for the car to slow down to around 50mph to proceed again.

I had explained prior to both mechanics if it could be a wheel speed sensor, they dismissed it.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Last edited by EaZy DuZ iT; 05-16-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:36 PM
EaZy DuZ iT
4th Gear Member

I had help to have my car be taken to the shop while at work.

Here is what the mechanic told us:

Car has a bad left axle
Car has clogged cataylic converters. Said there are four of them need to find out which it is. (Quoted us a price of $500 for total)

^These two are causing the wheel spin problems. Does this sound about right?

He also said my engine is, "leaking oil," and that its not worth the cost to repair (According to him 2,000-3,000). Also said as long as I fill up the oil every two weeks should not be an issue to daily for another two years.

This is supposedly a mechanic thats somewhat a "friend."

Any inputs?
Old 05-16-2014, 06:26 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by EaZy DuZ iT
I had help to have my car be taken to the shop while at work.

Here is what the mechanic told us:

Car has a bad left axle
Car has clogged cataylic converters. Said there are four of them need to find out which it is. (Quoted us a price of $500 for total)

^These two are causing the wheel spin problems. Does this sound about right?

He also said my engine is, "leaking oil," and that its not worth the cost to repair (According to him 2,000-3,000). Also said as long as I fill up the oil every two weeks should not be an issue to daily for another two years.

This is supposedly a mechanic thats somewhat a "friend."

Any inputs?
I don't see anyway that the clogged cats are effecting your traction control issue. I think its just a separate problem that happens to exist. Are you getting any check engine lights? If not ask him to describe why he thinks the cats are bad.

Bad left rear axle could very well cause your traction control issue but not directly. It can/would cause issues with other components which is in return causing your traction control issue. Ask him what is working incorrectly with the axle. They're pretty simple. Solid metal bar with splines on the end. They dont just go bad. The only time i've ever heard of any issues with the axle specifically is when dudes rip them out of their differential because they're dead hooking at the drag strip.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:52 AM
EaZy DuZ iT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
I don't see anyway that the clogged cats are effecting your traction control issue. I think its just a separate problem that happens to exist. Are you getting any check engine lights? If not ask him to describe why he thinks the cats are bad.

Bad left rear axle could very well cause your traction control issue but not directly. It can/would cause issues with other components which is in return causing your traction control issue. Ask him what is working incorrectly with the axle. They're pretty simple. Solid metal bar with splines on the end. They dont just go bad. The only time i've ever heard of any issues with the axle specifically is when dudes rip them out of their differential because they're dead hooking at the drag strip.
Thank you for the response!!!

Yes, I don't see it either. When he drove the car he said it felt like there was backpressure(somehting along those lines). I don't have mufflers so maybe the feel of that had him confused.

In regards to the bad left rear axle, I had him explain it to me. He said that the seal is leaking. He also said (he hadnt checked this issue yet) he thinks that the leak has spilled over the wheel speed sensor which can be causing the wheelspin issue.

I think my cataylic converters are fine. He also said my car has an engine oil leak (that the bottom of my engine is covered in oil) and he suggested that if I add some oil every 2-4 weeks if it gets low it shouldn't be an issue. I never noticed any leaks when I park my car so i hope it's not an issue. I will talk to him today to see if he can give me an exact location on leak.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:36 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Yea ignore that cat **** until you start getting symptoms. If you feel down on power or start hearing weird noises in your exhaust then check it. Usually bad cats are easy to notice.

And yes that means technically the axle is fine - the diff seal is what has gone bad. Have that seal replaced and have the mechanic clean up all the leaking fluid. This could very well be your issue. You may have to replace the sensor before its all said and done.

As far as the oil leak you gotta find out where its coming out. Hopefully its just an aged oil pan gasket. If it is have it replaced, have all mating services cleaned very well and have it sealed back up. I dont hear of leaking oil pans too much with these motors. Mine doesnt leak a bit and i've done every oil change since 50k miles. Its at 130k+ now.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:33 PM
EaZy DuZ iT
4th Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Hangwire
Yea ignore that cat **** until you start getting symptoms. If you feel down on power or start hearing weird noises in your exhaust then check it. Usually bad cats are easy to notice.

And yes that means technically the axle is fine - the diff seal is what has gone bad. Have that seal replaced and have the mechanic clean up all the leaking fluid. This could very well be your issue. You may have to replace the sensor before its all said and done.

As far as the oil leak you gotta find out where its coming out. Hopefully its just an aged oil pan gasket. If it is have it replaced, have all mating services cleaned very well and have it sealed back up. I dont hear of leaking oil pans too much with these motors. Mine doesnt leak a bit and i've done every oil change since 50k miles. Its at 130k+ now.

Issue is back again after 75 miles of driving. I will be taking the vehicle to a near by mechanic. I am going to be selling this car so I want to make sure the car is in fully working condition. I can't pass down a mustang to somebody else hiding a problem. As far as labor, IF the issue is really the wheel speed sensor, is it difficult?

Revisiting Issue:
When the car gets over 60mph, ABS and tracation control kick-in and cut fuel. Sometimes fuel-cut last until I bring the car down until 45mph. I will be driving on smooth, straight, non-wet roads when this occurs. Happens anytime you go over the range of 60mph.

Last edited by EaZy DuZ iT; 01-12-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:18 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

It's most likely an ABS ring on one or more of the wheels. These rings can crack. When they crack they can shift and start sending weird signals to the PCM and it thinks the wheel(s) lost traction.

Only one ring needs to be reading wrong and that will make the computer thing that wheel is losing traction.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ABS+...stang+ABS+Ring
Old 01-12-2015, 03:24 PM
EaZy DuZ iT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
It's most likely an ABS ring on one or more of the wheels. These rings can crack. When they crack they can shift and start sending weird signals to the PCM and it thinks the wheel(s) lost traction.

Only one ring needs to be reading wrong and that will make the computer thing that wheel is losing traction.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ABS+...stang+ABS+Ring

Thanks for the reply champ!

This is solid information. Would you suggest replacing the ABS ring professionally or is this something I can get my hands on and do it myself. Ive worked on the motor of my vehicle many times, but never took the chance of working with suspension related issues. Lack of tools and experience would be my excuse.

Would this be a type of ABS ring you would suggest/advise me to get?

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ance-Tone-Ring

or just replacing the wheel bearing would be a better decision?

Again, thanks for all your help!

Last edited by EaZy DuZ iT; 01-12-2015 at 04:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Wheelspin light