4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Aluminum / performance intake 97 GT 4.6 help

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 11:59 AM
Vrooom

Default Aluminum / performance intake 97 GT 4.6 help

I have a customer that has a 1997 Mustang GT and he is afraid of getting the usual cracked intake and wants to be proactive and change his intake before it happens. He wants aluminum. I have told him that the coolant port on all replacement intakes where the cracks usually happen are all aluminum while the rest of the intake is plastic. This will fix his problem. He has it in his head that the whole intake should be aluminum and he is liking the sound of some improved performance. My question is, what are the best aluminum intakes that will require little or no modification? And where are the best places to buy them. I've been looking online and it's a jungle out there. I am actually a Mopar guy and my forums are always helpful, so I thought I would give this a shot. Anyone able to help? He also wants to run what he calls a crossflow exhaust, which I assume is just Flowmaster crossflow mufflers in a cat back system. I have found those and a beautiful stainless Magnaflow system. I appreciate any help!
Old 09-16-2015, 02:07 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

What mods does he have? If he's not pushing some serious horses the stock manifold will be the way to go. I can understand wanting to be proactive but the money he'll pay for a aftermarket intake could probably be best spent somewhere else.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:39 PM
Vrooom

No mods. He likes the car, and he likes the idea of it breathing better. Money is not an issue for him. He doesn't even really care about extra power, though he should get a little. I see all the performance intakes and they say requires 99 PI heads. I have no idea what that means. He has a neighbor with a bunch of Mustangs, including a Saleen, and he is the one filling his head with the aluminum intake stuff. Who am I to argue? Also, I agree that better and smoother air flow at the intake and a better exhaust will make a difference. Air in, air out. You gotta breathe well to work hard.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:08 PM
Granatelli Sales
Former Sponsor

Ford released a performance intake manifold (M-9424-E46) for 1996-1998 Mustang GTs that was discontinued a few years back. The intake manifold was essentially a precursor to the intake manifold found on the 2001 Bullitt Mustangs. The intake was designed to be a bolt on replacement for the factory plastic manifold, and paired well with the best performance 2v heads that Ford offered at the time (M-6049-D46). This intake manifold is becoming very difficult to find used and impossible to find new.

If you cannot find one of these intakes, you can use a 2001 Bullitt Mustang intake manifold or a TFS intake manifold. The intake port shape is different on 1999 and up heads, so if you use a Bullitt or TFS intake you will need to silicone around the water passages to avoid a coolant leak.

All 1999-2004 Mustang GTs came with the Performance Improved (PI) heads and intake manifold. This bumped power from 225 in the 1996-1998 cars to 260 for 1999-2004 Mustangs with PI engines. The PI head had a different intake port shape, runner and a smaller combustion chamber (42cc) compared to the early heads (52cc) chambers. PI swaps are a popular upgrade, gaining power, bumping compression ratio to around 10:1 and it has more intake manifold options as well.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:41 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

The new style Ford plastic intake with the aluminum crossover? well,they crack too.It doesn't fix his potential problem,though it may make it more unlikely.
It took almost nine years for mine to crack on my 04.If I'm good for another six,seven,nine,etc,it's not that big of a deal.After you learn to change it the first time,it goes on super fast the next time.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:39 AM
Vrooom

He has decided to go with new heads, cam and intake. That will solve all my problems, and his.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:50 AM
deckstripe1@verizon.net

Hello there folks,
I was wondering if anyone on this thread had experience with putting the Ford Motorsport Manifold M-9424-E46 on a 1997 Thunderbird.
From what I have read, the 97 Mustang engine and the 97 Thunderbird engine are identical internally.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:24 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by deckstripe1@verizon.net
Hello there folks,
I was wondering if anyone on this thread had experience with putting the Ford Motorsport Manifold M-9424-E46 on a 1997 Thunderbird.
From what I have read, the 97 Mustang engine and the 97 Thunderbird engine are identical internally.
I'm sure it would work. What I'm not sure about is if it will fit beneath the stock TBird hood.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:19 PM
deckstripe1@verizon.net

I've looked at many modded Thunderbirds of that era, and they all seem to be sporting an aftermarket hood. I'm not sure of the reasoning however. That clearance issue is a prime consideration. I am not desiring that, "boy racer" look. I do admire the original lines of the car.
If anyone out there has clearance info, please chime in. Thanks for that reply Z28-KLR.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:54 PM
Rlcj452000

Default Question

I have a 99 mustang gt with a accufab intake and throttle body and jlt cold air intake having problem with it not wanting to idle right

Quick Reply: Aluminum / performance intake 97 GT 4.6 help