4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

clutch chirping!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 02:15 PM
chris02gt

Default clutch chirping!?!?!

when i got my new ford clutch installed everything was fine until my clutch pedal became loose and it started bouncing so i pushed it back into place. Ever since then the chirping noise became progressively louder. I know its not the throw out bearing since the noise disappear with a little push on the pedal. Please if i can have a moment of your time to watch the video and help decide whats wrong i would be extremely grateful because this is starting to become irritating
Old 08-31-2017, 02:21 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I'm at work so I don't have audio but, based on your description about the sound going away when you slightly push on the clutch pedal and the chirping, it is the throw out bearing. Had the issue with my 00 V6 many years ago. Dealer went through three bearings before I just ignored the problem and it went away on its own. Same symptoms and resolution based on your descriptions.

Throw out bearings don't always squeak/chirp when under a load. Sometimes it's the opposite.

Try adjusting your pedal to make sure you have all the slack out of the cable. Take your left foot, put it under the clutch pedal and pull up all the way. Do this two or three times. This will take out any slack from your pedal. If you don't feel any change, either your cable is stretched out beyond what's adjustable or your quadrant is maxed out

The bearing can ride on the clutch plate fingers even when the pedal is fully released. Your bearing has enough play in or is dry inside to squeak from the spinning. When you push the pedal in, it puts enough pressure on it to squish the bearing and get rid of the play and stop the squeaking.

There should be an inspection plate on the bell housing, remove it and check it out.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:34 PM
chris02gt

i might get an adjustable clutch cable first and see if it fixes this. If not ill just buy a new bearing
Old 09-09-2017, 08:57 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Im a few days behind on this post, but if your hearing a chirping noise that goes away with a slight amount of pressure on the clutch pedal. It is generally due to 1 of 2 things. Either your bearing is about to give up the ghost, or you need to take a little bit more slack out of the cable. Slack meaning any excess length, you want to preload that tob just a little bit. Most likely the bearing is making a very slight contact right now, and that squealing/squeaking you hear is just friction between the fingers and the bearing. Slight contact of the clutch fingers is one of the main reasons the bearing face wears out, ford designed these set ups with clutch preload in mind IE constant contact between bearing and clutch fingers.

The most common reasons why you would not have enough preload on the tob are, the cable is stretched beyond service length, or there was an aftermarket adjustable cable installed and the correct adjustment at the fork was not made.

Last edited by dawson1112; 09-09-2017 at 09:01 AM.