MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L V8 Technical Discussions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-v8-technical-discussions-69/)
-   -   Cold Air Induction Installations and Comments... (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-v8-technical-discussions/158567-cold-air-induction-installations-and-comments.html)

Professor Wizard 07-28-2006 02:30 PM

Cold Air Induction Installations and Comments...

I thought I would start a dedicated thread to CAI's since so many of us are installing them...

Here is my experience:
https://mustangforums.com/m_1637773/tm.htm

06triplevalve 07-29-2006 01:51 AM

RE: Cold Air Induction Installations and Comments...

Just joined, and started looking, and boy am I impressed. Thank you for your excellently detailed report on the CAI! That is my next step (I think) and I was dying to see some sort of walk-through from someone, yours was excellent. I have 3000 miles so far, and I am trying as hard as possible to wait until 5000 miles (self impossed) to purchase and install a supercharger and CAI. I have been wondering what shoukld come first, which will work well together, how I should think about purchasing a tuner and how I would try to use the tuner to work both items. In my little pea-brain it all seems so overwhelming (yes, I'm one of those carburetor guys). Your walk-through certainly helped. Thanks. Roy Ludt AKA 06triplevalve

Quick S 08-19-2006 10:27 PM

Granatelli CAI on an '06 stang GT

For me, the Granatelli CAI kit was perfect for my goals with the car. With this kit you don't need an expensive tuner ( usually required ) to get HP gains out of a CAI. Taking off the stock air box is a breeze, about 5 Min. Now some of the dislikes with Granatelli CAI kit, is there insrtuctions that are sent with the kit are not the greatest. There is NO mention of the new intake hose line that you must replace ( which comes with the kit ) and the new wiring harness that must be pluged into the new MAF senser and the cars wiring harness ( new wiring harness comes with kit ). The filter does hit the brake lines but with some easy munipulation of the lines and the tube, the filter then sits fine inside the Air box without completely rubbing or hitting the brake lines. But all and all, the kit works like it promises and you can feel the difference in the car.

New Granatelli MAF "Slot in" senser and wiring harness
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k/IMG_0054.jpg

Pic before Install
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k/IMG_0015.jpg

Pics after Install
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k/IMG_0058.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...IMG_0056_2.jpg

dbvettez06 08-31-2006 03:16 PM

I just installed a Bama tune [X Calibrater 2] and a JLT CAI......The CAI was very simple, took maybe 20 minutes....Remove nut holding down stock air box, take 2 screws out slide out MAF, remove intake from throttle body, and reinstall.....Pretty well impossible to screw up...Then, plugged in X Calibrater, followed instructions, and that was it....I really took my time and all was done in less than a hour...The improvement [especially in the auto] is well worth the $$ spent...There are nicer looking CAI than the JLT, but it works great...I will dyno this fall, but i believe i experienced an honest 25-30+ hp gain, and also, and more important, a gain in torque...And a great improvement in the firmness of the auto shifts....

Chef 09-06-2006 12:44 AM

THanks for the posts. Pictures really helpful. Think i messed posting this elsewhere but any thought s are helpful . . .Hey guys thanks for the feedback on the CAI question. Called Evoperform to order the SCT XCalibrator 2 with C&L MAF Trueflow cold air intake combo. They suggested the plastic one instead. I like the price of plastic $525 vs $625. They said lightweight too. What are the pros and cons here? Don't want to regret my first customization.

Grey vert mag wheels

Chef 09-06-2006 01:22 AM

ProfessoWizard, nice wheels

what kind are those?

Chef 09-08-2006 12:45 AM

RE: ProfessoWizard, nice wheels

ProfessoWizard, what tools do i need for C&L CAI?

virtual_verve11 09-15-2006 07:53 PM

RE: ProfessoWizard, nice wheels

is there any reason why some one would purchase the ford racing intake and tuner over other brands? are there any benifits? do some tuners produce more power then others? or is there a max power number that an intake could make? just wondering for I am thinking of buying a cold air kit I have not decided on one though.

papa t 09-29-2006 04:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Chef

THanks for the posts. Pictures really helpful. Think i messed posting this elsewhere but any thought s are helpful . . .Hey guys thanks for the feedback on the CAI question. Called Evoperform to order the SCT XCalibrator 2 with C&L MAF Trueflow cold air intake combo. They suggested the plastic one instead. I like the price of plastic $525 vs $625. They said lightweight too. What are the pros and cons here? Don't want to regret my first customization.

Grey vert mag wheels
I just installed the plastic C&L TrueFlow Racer CAI. I chose that one because of the 95 mm MAF housing (i figured bigger was better) and the plastic intake. I live in AZ and I figured the plastic would retain less heat than the metal. I just got finished installing it so it hasn't seen much heat yet. Time will tell...

red_fire_GT 09-29-2006 02:37 PM

My first mod was the BBK CAI and I am very impressed with it. It installed in about 20 minutes and looks great. I didn't have a tune at the time but received no errors so no CEL. Works perfectly with my ram air hood.

Best mod so far is the 4:10's and dyno tune.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49451/086FF109CA684AE4989B529DB120AC36.jpg[/IMG]

06hoss 09-29-2006 05:55 PM

Hi guys, I have the C&L street cold air intake kit with a Predator high octane tune and I LOVE it! I bought this brand of cold air intake since 5.0 magazine ran a comparison test on 11 different kits in the 1/06 edition and the C&L won. You may see ads that say the JLT made the most horsepower in this test (so they claim they won), but it was only by about 2 HP, but 5.0 also took into account the quality of the unit. I have read plenty of posts on forum where JLT guys are complaining that theirs fell apart or rubs the ABS line. I also heard that this was a production problem that JLT had fixed. Anyway, the C&L street intake is rock solid and was extremely easy to install. Like the professor said about his kit, the first thing you notice is the sound...louder and you can hear the exhaust pulsations better when you get on it. Also, it definitely has more power. It sounds so good that I can't help but get in the throttle more than necessary. I think that the additional horse power rating is 26HP (flywheel). I ran it with the low octane tune for awhile (which I think adds about 20HP) and then switched to the high octane tune...throttle response improved a bit and the power just keeps coming all the way up the tach. A cold air intake kit should without a doubt be your first mod. It is super easy and don't fear the tuner...it's real easy too. The tuner will make sure you don't run your air fuel ratio too lean and when you switch to the high octane tune, it advances the timing a little for more power (and the kits without tuners can't do this). I also used the tuner to remove the speed limiter and when I get around to changing the rear end gear, the tuner will let me make the change in the computer so the speedo will be correct.
[8D]

derambe 10-01-2006 02:05 AM

I'm looking for a CAI, looking for best price and hp. Anyone?

bluene05GT 10-12-2006 04:59 PM

Does anyone have a stock CAI for sale. If you've done a CAI mod you probably have one laying around.
I"m having trouble with a C&L intake system that was installed on my car before I bought it and i need to take it back to stock to troubleshoot the chip programming.

06hoss 10-12-2006 08:44 PM

Sorry bro, I still have my stock one laying around, but I'm keeping it until my warranty runs out just in case I need warranty work on the engine. My local Ford dealership is a little pissy about mods so it's just cheap insurance. I'm sure somebody will cough one up though.

markrey1 10-16-2006 11:28 AM

has anyone used SandB filters CAI kits

Rupp 10-16-2006 03:16 PM

Any of you guys chrome the V6 C&L?

Silver06GT 10-22-2006 12:39 AM

Thanks for the information and sorry for the rookie questions: but if I add a CAI to my car do I have to flash the chip? Without a flash will I get the full benefits of the CAI? Finally, what about warranty repairs? When I bought my car I asked the dealer to install the short throw shifter listed in the Ford Racing catelog and they told me it would void my warranty! I know every dealer is different, but has anyone had run into trouble with an aftermarket intake system with respect to warranty repairs?

06hoss 10-22-2006 02:45 PM

It depends on the CAI that you buy. For instance the K&N kit and the Granitelli kit don't require flashing your computer, but a lot of CAI kits do. I would recommend buying one with a flash tuner since you are leaving horsepower on the table when you don't get a tuner. I have the Diablo Predator tuner while a lot of guys have the SCT tuner. Which one you end up with now really depends on the parts they are packaged with...mine was packaged with the C&L CAI I bought...both tuners are very good. With a tuner you can flash the computer for a high octane tune for more horsepower. It advances the timing and enriches the air/fuel ratio for more power and to prevent a lean condition. Also once you have the flash tuner you can read any trouble codes the computer creates and also erase them. You can also flash the computer for when you change your rear end gear ratio...the old days it required a new speedo gear on the tranny. You can also eliminate your top speed limiter and change or eliminate your rev limiters. You can also change the temp that your radiator fans come on and also eliminate the traction control completely or some cases the swith will default to off when you start the engine. IF you have an auto tranny, it will also improve the shifts.
I went back and forth between the C&L CAI and the JLT before I settled on the C&L. C&L won a CAI shootout among 11 manufacturers in the January 06 edition of 5.0 magazine. The JLT came in second. IMO, the tuner is definitely worth the extra money, but a CAI without the tuner will give you some more horses, just not as much as if you use a tuner.
Good luck and have fun!

[IMG]local://upfiles/48298/4616A5693DB948B0BED89FDCF2BD10CE.jpg[/IMG]

dorkmeat 10-27-2006 10:28 PM

Has anyone used the CAI from Ford Performance?

Wouldn't using that CAI maintain the waranty?

Thanks in advance!

www.fordracing.com

06hoss 10-27-2006 11:29 PM

Dorkmeat, none of these mods will legally void your warranty. It's just up to your dealer on whether he wants to be an ass or not to give you problems. The nice thing about these CAIs is that if you have a warranty issue and are worried about what the dealer will say about the mod, you just switch back to stock before you take it in for service if it makes you feel safer.
The only thing I personally don't like about the Ford Racing CAI is that they reuse the stock breather tube (elbow) which is more restrictive than an aftermarket one. Steeda started out with a CAI like that and guess what, now they offer a smooth breather tube (elbow). It you don't want to spend the money on a tuner then you may want to look at a K&N CAI or a Granitellli. The Granitelli has a polished version for a little more $$ that is beautiful. If you want more HP and more features, then you won't be sorry if you go with a C&L or a JLT with a tuner.
C&L rules baby!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/48298/90380D962125401BA79599D6EEAB0066.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/48298/6EA1F418E4F64B539F7E96D748CEA4F4.jpg[/IMG]

jmart69x 11-10-2006 09:02 PM

I am torn between the Shaker CAI (by Classic Design Concepts) or the High Velocity CAI (by Western Motor Sports). Anyone have any thoughts or comments on either one?

blueshawk 11-14-2006 02:24 PM

Will adding a CAI void the warrantey on your new 2007 GT?

Thanks,

Blueshawk

07AlloyGT 11-18-2006 04:11 PM

ORIGINAL: blueshawk

Will adding a CAI void the warrantey on your new 2007 GT?

Thanks,

Blueshawk
i was told by the service manager at the dealership i got my stang at that anything not stock will void the warranty. i've since talked to several people in the know (i work for a comapny that sells extended warranties/insurance for vehicles) and they say that if you go to a recognized ford performance dealer, they won't say crap. however, the tuner downloads the stock tune from your ride so you can throw it back on if need to be to take it in.

i just purchased the TI CAI (demolet made) from brenspeed with the SCT XCALII. just sent off the email with my specs so they can do a custom tune.

Silver06GT 11-20-2006 02:12 PM

When a CAI says "flash required" does that mean I have to have a tuner or can I rely on the Mustang's computer to recal air and fuel? I know that a "retune" will maximize the performance of the CAI, but I don't have a tuner and am not interested in running a tune which requires higher octane fuel. I'm just looking for modest improvement. Thanks for the help.

markj 11-20-2006 03:16 PM

If it says flash required, you'll need a new tune. That's because some CIAs flow a lot more air and will cause the egine to run too lean with the stock tune. Best bet is to get a CAI/Tuner combo. I have the DeMolet and love it, but there are lots of combo deals out there.

Badazzelanore 12-13-2006 02:19 PM

Ok, I just installed my WMS CAI on my 06 and it is amazing! With a minor hicup of about an hour to run to sear's to get some tools it only took me 4 hours to complete. I got it though brenspeed and I got the tuner package I cant believe the difference it feels and sounds! Ill be adding some pictures just as soon as my girl lets me use her camera! Wow!

Drivesthebeast 12-19-2006 11:07 AM

I am guessing that there are tune's availble out there for lower octane, but I wonder if that would partially defeat the purpose of getting a CAI.

I would like to see if I could acheive 300hp roughly to the wheels, and at least that much in TQ as well with simple bolt-ons and dyno tuning...I know this has been asked out the wazoo on here, but is it possible?

06hoss 12-19-2006 11:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Drivesthebeast

I am guessing that there are tune's availble out there for lower octane, but I wonder if that would partially defeat the purpose of getting a CAI.

I would like to see if I could acheive 300hp roughly to the wheels, and at least that much in TQ as well with simple bolt-ons and dyno tuning...I know this has been asked out the wazoo on here, but is it possible?
You're right in that the lower octane tune partially defeats the purpose, just like getting a CAI that doesn't come with tuner won't produce as much power. When I first installed my C&L CAI, I ran it on a low octane tune to make sure I had all of that 87 octane gas out of the system, then I flashed it with the high octane tune. I haven't dynoed the car, but what I felt by my seat of the pants, is that maybe about 20 of the 25 extra horses you get come with just putting that CAI on there and of course the tune. The car really took off and sounded better after the install. When I finally installed the higher octane tune, I didn't really notice that big of a power difference, but the throttle response was much quicker and the engine was quicker to rev.
I would think it would bepretty easy toobtain300RWHP. You could probably get there with a good CAI with agood tune, long tube headers and under drive pullies. An aluminum drive shaft will free up some horsepower too...that's my next mod, then the headers. I haven't decided on UDPs.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48298/E5135174620B43CEB6AAA906620CB0A2.jpg[/IMG]

TASSY5 12-25-2006 12:06 AM

So basiclly the best thing to do on an 07 Gt with a 5 speed is the put a C&L CAI on it with a tuner, 4.10 gears and shorty headers with a cat back exhaust x pipe with Borla stingers and I will roll!!!!! is this true???

06hoss 12-25-2006 01:35 AM

I wouldn't bother with the shorty headers since the gains will be minimal. Long tubes are the way to go...most of them come with an X pipe if you order them together. Every thing else sounds sweet.

TASSY5 12-25-2006 01:57 AM

ANY OTHER IDEAS FOR ME PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

THANKS

nhvickery 12-28-2006 03:00 PM

What does everyone think about the K&N Typhoon air intake? I'm looking to get it soon.

phys_dim 02-02-2007 04:22 PM

ORIGINAL: markj

If it says flash required, you'll need a new tune. That's because some CIAs flow a lot more air and will cause the egine to run too lean with the stock tune. Best bet is to get a CAI/Tuner combo. I have the DeMolet and love it, but there are lots of combo deals out there.

I'm kinda new to this, (don't spaz at me, I'm a converted bimmer guy...and I just bought an'07 GT/CS, WOW :D...lot more fun than my bimmer!)anyways...I just priced out a CAI, roughly $400. Then of course I did the good ole searching of what else needs to be done...low and behold, running to lean, just as you said.what's this about ... flashing the computer. won't that void the warranty!? Does the Tuner come with every kit?! what brand is everyone buying into for CAI!? is there one that stands above the others?!

sorry if this seems simple to you...but some of this is all new to me...

Black06stang 02-02-2007 04:53 PM

ORIGINAL: phys_dim

I'm kinda new to this, (don't spaz at me, I'm a converted bimmer guy...and I just bought an'07 GT/CS, WOW :D...lot more fun than my bimmer!)anyways...I just priced out a CAI, roughly $400. Then of course I did the good ole searching of what else needs to be done...low and behold, running to lean, just as you said.what's this about ... flashing the computer. won't that void the warranty!? Does the Tuner come with every kit?! what brand is everyone buying into for CAI!? is there one that stands above the others?!

sorry if this seems simple to you...but some of this is all new to me...
You can get a good CAI/tuner combination for a little less than $600.I thinkthe C&L is one of the best CAI, and the SCT Xcal II tuner is also one of the best. I bought my C&L/Xcal II combo from Evolution Performance for $565 shipped. I always remove my CAI/tune before bringing the car into the dealership so the warrenty wont be voided. I can change out the intake in about 30 minutes.

phys_dim 02-02-2007 05:37 PM

thanks for the info...I'll look into that!!

alloypony 02-03-2007 01:49 PM

Here are pics of the brenspeed TI CAI package. I will post pic of the install soon.I think i will look good on my stang.

[IMG]local://upfiles/56790/500C09BB9BC34B2298CEFE8E60BF47A4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/56790/32AD7E9DDFAE45FF8DC6963EDF905867.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/56790/C82D459CA5314F55BB6F5F617FF192E1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/56790/3E7C418381494A95AB9DD0A282351785.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/56790/8FD35F3DF7084664805865CF919D53FD.jpg[/IMG]

alloypony 02-04-2007 10:32 PM

Pics of installed TI CAI

[IMG]local://upfiles/56790/7A8AFC77324942EE973B1086933847B7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/56790/6390A6DE2FE24A34AEB088C098147B84.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/56790/A6BD1452F4804F61A309C1FA24070938.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/56790/7C545FCAE829403EA04614890B50C090.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/56790/4A3DB3957BC44F0A8DEB1450867CF1C2.jpg[/IMG]

alloypony 02-08-2007 02:06 AM

WOW!~ Like everyone says bigchange inthrottle response, Car pullsmore and revsquicker. This is on the 87 octane tune.

luckydawg003 02-20-2007 09:07 PM

So what are the best intakes on the market now...Ive been thinking about C & L's street intake, with the tune. I know their are like 4 good ones out there...steeda, bbk, etc. any input would be helpful.

delstang 02-24-2007 03:45 PM

I have a C & L True Flow because I preffered the aluminum tube. I like it but to really maximize the effectivness of the CAI, you need a custom tune versus a canned tuned that typically comes with the tuner and CAI. I bought the C & L as a package with a Diablo Predator tuner and a canned tune and have since switch to a SCT X-Cal tuner with a custom tune. There was a noticeable difference. I am sure the other manufacturers would have the same results. Just a a preference on what you like.