Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Headers need tune?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 10:58 PM
V8 Aggie
2nd Gear Member

Default Headers need tune?

I will soon be getting JBA longtube headers along with the off-road H-pipe. Other than the need for eliminating the check engine light due to not having the MIL eliminators, will I need another tune for my car?

Thanks

I already have a performance tune with an xcal 2 from brenspeed.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:47 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Headers need tune?

It's the same old story:

Do you NEED a tune? No. But, will you maximize your performance with one? Yes.

Call up Brent @ Brenspeed and let him know you got headers. He can send you an updated tune over Email at no charge.

Oh, and Gig 'em! I'm class of 01...
Old 08-09-2006, 06:45 AM
FastShadow
1st Gear Member

Actually, with long tube headers, you WILL NEED a tune if you do not want to cause long term damage. In essence, the air fuel ratios will change (not much, but they will) with the long tubes and cause your car to run lean in your case. In other words, you will have too much air and not enough fuel in the combustion process. In addition to that, the tune will not only correct this, but you will be able to produce optimal gains with a tune.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:01 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FastShadow

Actually, with long tube headers, you WILL NEED a tune if you do not want to cause long term damage. In essence, the air fuel ratios will change (not much, but they will) with the long tubes and cause your car to run lean in your case. In other words, you will have too much air and not enough fuel in the combustion process. In addition to that, the tune will not only correct this, but you will be able to produce optimal gains with a tune.

I do not think this is true. I mean, what you wrote makes sense, but the prevailing opinions from the expert tuners seem to contradict it:

Before I installed headers on my car I spent a while chatting with Doug @ Bamachips and Brent @ Brenspeed. Both of them said that a tune generally wasn't needed with longtubes and the car would run fine without it, but a custom tune could be made to maximize gains. Brent specifically said that sometimes he did't see any A/F ratio changes after installing a set of headers on a customer's car. (I suppose this depends on precisely what mods are on the motor). Keep in mind that the ECU does have some control through the MAF and O2 sensor.

...not my personal experience, just what I heard from the pros.....
Old 08-09-2006, 04:06 PM
V8 Aggie
2nd Gear Member

thanks for all the info guys!!

I appreciate it!
Old 08-09-2006, 08:18 PM
FastShadow
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

I do not think this is true. I mean, what you wrote makes sense, but the prevailing opinions from the expert tuners seem to contradict it:

Before I installed headers on my car I spent a while chatting with Doug @ Bamachips and Brent @ Brenspeed. Both of them said that a tune generally wasn't needed with longtubes and the car would run fine without it, but a custom tune could be made to maximize gains. Brent specifically said that sometimes he did't see any A/F ratio changes after installing a set of headers on a customer's car. (I suppose this depends on precisely what mods are on the motor). Keep in mind that the ECU does have some control through the MAF and O2 sensor.

I see your point and it is a valid one for an avg person i guess. But if you are meticulous about it and want it done properly, then ofcourse you will NEED a tune. Not just for hp, but for the vehicle to be running porperly with the correct combustion process in terms of A/F etc. Now when i say that the A/F changes, its from experience with short and long tubes on the 05-06s.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:23 PM
bunit9685
1st Gear Member

I tend to agree here. People are of the opinion that the computer in our cars (and most others for that matter) is completely static and has no adaptation because that's what computers used to be like. It will adjust a little, but you wont get the max benefit and you wont hurt your engine imho.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:02 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I completely agree that an updated tune is the right thing to do....that is exactly what I did on my car.

However, I have it from the professionals that it is not needed in the true sense of the word--at least on the S197. Remember that guys like Doug and Brent spend a good part of each day in front of the dyno and exhast gas analyzer. They know a heck of a lot more about this than I do (and I'm guessing you do--unless you happen to run a Mustang shop yourself).
Old 08-10-2006, 02:17 AM
viking396
5th Gear Member

Excellent points, and since this is after the combustion process not before it makes sense that the AF wouldn't change much. I spoke with my guy at Logan Motorsports and he said if I added Kooks LT's with off road pipe then I would need to retune. I need to speak to Doug again, I trust him.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:21 PM
blackened
2nd Gear Member

do the o2 sensors reading a richer exhaust (following an LT install) cause the ECU to pull fuel?

Quick Reply: Headers need tune?