Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Tinging sound from engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 08:08 PM
BlackSpirit
2nd Gear Member

Default Tinging sound from engine

I hope you all can help me figure out what this noise is that is driving me nuts. Happens every now and then when excelerating hard, I get a tingy sound almost similar to a stuck lifter, I want to get a general idea of what could possibly be causing this noise. All help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:13 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Tinging sound from engine

The timing isn't mapped right at WOT so your getting the Pinging from detonation. If you get a handheld tuner ($400) with a box tune for a stock 05+ mustang it should help resolve it or you could spring an extra $100 ($500) and get a CAI + Tuner

Not only will your car 'go' likes it meant to, it will also be more responsive.

edit: Could also be crappy gas that's overrated for its true octane. In other words it says 87 and it's actually blended like 85. Try either 87 from a different brand or 89 just to see if it goes away.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:23 PM
BlackSpirit
2nd Gear Member

Any recomendation on the tunner or the combo CAI + tunner?
Old 09-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

Where is the sound coming from? Does it sound like its directly from the engine. Also what are your mods
Old 09-08-2006, 11:07 PM
wakebord99
2nd Gear Member

Umm.. just my 2 cents here.. but if your engine is possibly detonating or pinging more HP or an increase in timing is NOT what you need.

You need to bring that into the dealer yesturday and get it fixed up right.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:10 PM
wakebord99
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stang Skeleton

Where is the sound coming from? Does it sound like its directly from the engine or more around the tranny. Also what are your mods
Sound is likely detonation, which basically means that one or more of your cylinders is combusting prior to the spark. This generally occours because..

1- you have a hot spot on your piston
2- your timing is too high
3- bad gas
4- too high compression ratio

If you have a bone stock car, run your car till E, then fill it up with the best gass you have available. See if that fixes it, if not bring it to Ford.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:07 AM
BlackSpirit
2nd Gear Member

Already made the call today, and the tinging/pinging is definetly coming from the engine. I use nothing but BP mid grade, the motor is stock except for mac axleback; if that even makes a difference.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:41 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

My guess -> the dealership's service dept. will tell you that the pinging is normal.
If they do and your car is an 05 or an early 06, then ask them if they can install an upgraded tune into your ECM(if it's a late 06 or an 07, then it may already have the upgraded tune installed).
If it already has the U/G tune, then try different brands of gas as suggested by wakebord99.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:30 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ski
My guess -> the dealership's service dept. will tell you that the pinging is normal.
If a dealer tells you audible pinging is "normal" and I am on your jury - I will hold out for justifiable homicide as a veridict...

Pinging is not normal and not acceptable - particuarly if you can hear it with your ears...

Knock sensors detect mild ping from bad gas or mild overheating and pull timing - but "mild" ping is hard to hear over engine noise...

If you hear a knock/ping with your ears - that is BAD and either tune is bad or the gas is bad or there is something malfunctioning in your intake/O2 system.

Now it would not surprise me in the least if the dealer says "bad gas - sorry - go somewhere else for gas" or "can't reproduce it and computer does not say there is anything wrong", but that is not the same as "normal"....

Under waranty - I'd take it in for look and press them to make sure that various things are working correctly (i.e. they pass the diagnostics):
1. MAF sensor
2. leaks in intake path - have you pulled the hose off? If so, it could be mis-seated and if air gets in after the MAF sensor - you run lean (lean causes pinging)
3. O2 sensors - they can monitor them and make sure they agree with the sniffer.

I'd also change gas stations for at least 2 tanks...
Old 09-10-2006, 10:55 PM
wakebord99
2nd Gear Member

+1 ... But atleast TRY a different gas station. I usually pick the newest ones that have installed new underground tanks. If for nothing else when the dealer trys to tell you that it was bad gas you can say.. i've used this and this types of gas 3 fillups in a row. and it doesn't change.

Quick Reply: Tinging sound from engine