Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Coating for Headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 01:27 PM
jmart69x
1st Gear Member

Default Coating for Headers

I thought that coating is good to prevent rust/corrosion and keep temperatures down. However, I recently was told that it is NOT necessary for SS304 grade which is impervious to rust/corrosion and has a low thermal conductivity. Coating is recommended for non SS or SS409 grade headers. Also, I was informed that the coatings only typically last 2-3 years, afterwhich they start to chip off? If this is the case, then why do some SS304 grade headers (i.e. Kooks, MAC, etc...) offer the option of coating?
Old 12-09-2006, 01:58 PM
adj86
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Coating for Headers

From what i have read and heard, having any type of header coated is a good idea. Firstly the stainless steel headers will discolor after some use, and the ceramic coating supposedly keeps the headers looking good. Secondly most headers will eventually rust even if it is only surface rust. I read a thread on another site about Some JBAs. They were stainless steel and they rusted. I don't know what type of S/Steel but they rusted. The ceramic coating also keeps down heat inside the engine compartment and helps with exhuast scavenging. It probably does chip after a couple years. IMHO it would be good to get a ceramic coating on any type of header no matter what type of steel it is made of. Thats just my $.02 about it though.

[IMG]local://upfiles/42298/1D2DAA4A123C410294088069BBD0EE19.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-10-2006, 07:38 AM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jmart69x

If this is the case, then why do some SS304 grade headers (i.e. Kooks, MAC, etc...) offer the option of coating?
Probably for the same reason the stealerships charge ~$200 for scotchguarding the interior...easy profits.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:01 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scramblr

ORIGINAL: jmart69x

If this is the case, then why do some SS304 grade headers (i.e. Kooks, MAC, etc...) offer the option of coating?
Probably for the same reason the stealerships charge ~$200 for scotchguarding the interior...easy profits.

EXACTLY.

By the way adj86, the JBAs you mentioned rust becasue they are 409 stainless. 304 and 409 are totally different.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:36 PM
adj86
2nd Gear Member

By the way adj86, the JBAs you mentioned rust becasue they are 409 stainless. 304 and 409 are totally different.
[/quote]

Thanks for the correction CrazyAl. What are the main differences between the two?
Old 12-10-2006, 01:49 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Stainless steel is a steel alloy that has Chrominum added to it to improve rust resistance and to reduce corrosion. However, there are many different kinds. In the USA we identify the different alloys by a number.

409 is the cheapest type of stainless. It consists of Iron, carbon, and chromium. Some people call it "a mixture of plain steel and stainless" becasue it can and does rust, just not as bad as ordinary steel.

304 stainless consists of iron, carbon, chromium, and also has Nickel added. It has far superior rust and chemical resistance to 409, but the addition of Nickel makes it more expensive. It also has lower thermal conductivity than 409. That's good for headers becasue it helps trap the heat inside the header (like the thermal coating does).

You can read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel

Old 12-10-2006, 03:05 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Coatings have a place, but are not needed on a 304 ss Long tube header.. Also the Ceramic Coatings that look like chrome, actually change color also.
Coatings chip and flake off. So that is another issue.

The Coating can hold so much heat inside the primary near the exhaust port that the combustion chamber can heat up and lead to lower timings being needed.
(Also the exhaust valves are hotter when this happens)

Now when I do go turboed. I will have all my pipes coated even when they are 304 ss, because with a turbo you not only want to keep it hot but the temps get crazy. People even wrap the ceramic coated pipes still.

I'm actually thinking of wrapping the first primary in each header about 10 inchs with exhaust wrap just to lower the radiant heat a little more, since the first pipe is almost the length of the engine before it drops down.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:34 AM
adj86
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for that article CrazyAl, i now know the difference between the two types of stainless steel. As far as coating goes, I suppose that i would probably error on the side of caution and still get them coated. Mac makes stainless steel LTs, but why are they $469.00?
Old 12-11-2006, 02:26 AM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Macs are made in China... The quality is nowhere near that of ARH, Kooks, SW, ETC...
Old 12-12-2006, 05:15 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

If you want a good header coating, check out this link...these guys claim they are the original and they warranty their work against rust through and if you have any problems period in three years, they will fix it. http://www.nitroplate.com/index.cfm

Quick Reply: Coating for Headers