Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Resonators and Exhaust Note

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 11:24 PM
jmart69x
1st Gear Member

Default Resonators and Exhaust Note

Can anyone tell me what the affect will be on my exterior exhaust note by adding resonators in addition to the axle-back mufflers? I currently have the following exhaust settup: Naturally aspirated, no headers, Stock H-pipe and MAC axle-back mufflers. I am thinking of adding either the magnapack or SLP2 resonators to eliminate the interior cabin drone. However, I was wondering if the resonators would affect the exterior sound of the exhaust. Would it make it quieter or louder? Also, which is the better resonator to go with? Does the resonator size and sound dampening material make a difference? (i.e. fiberglass versus ceramic)
Old 01-10-2007, 01:11 AM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Resonators and Exhaust Note

The bigger (longer) the resinator the quiter it will be. I'm running 2.5 and was running flowmaster 40 series. With the resinators and an Off road X pipe it was actually quiter then stock. I can only image what it will sound like still running the Factory h pipe.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:20 AM
JGT
2nd Gear Member

I installed resonators along with a Mac Prochamber and both Borla and Mac axlebacks. The drone is still very bad with both combinations. The resonators did make it a little quieter outside the car, and as a result, I imagine it took out some of the drone, but it is still bad. So bad in fact with the Macs that I couldn't handle it anymore and switched back to Borla.

Now the even worse news: I think the resonators actually smoothed out the exhaust tone and took out some of the gurgle, not to my liking at all. Comparing the Borlas + resonators with just the Borlas, I think they sound much better without the resonators, and the drone is not much worse, if at all worse. I really think they may have takenout some of the muscle car tone.

It seems some people on here have had success with the resonators, but I am not a fan and won't be going back. If I get sick of the drone, I am just going to throw on the quieter GTA mufflers.

These are the resonators I used, placed just after the Prochamber:
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/ver...rts/Items/1792?

Maybe other brands, sizes, or types would be more beneficial, but that was my experience.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:22 AM
JGT
2nd Gear Member

Oh yeah, and if you do go the resonator route, go with ones that have stainless steel packing, they will last a lot longer. Some of the other stuff burns out real quick.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:48 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The positioning of the resonators makes a big difference as to how well they work reducing drone. If you put them in the wrong place they will have very marginal effectiveness.

The best possible thing is to get a set of resonators that don't muffle very much (either stainless steel packing, or some that are very short) and then position them properly to kill the drone. That way you will reduce the drone with a minimal change to the exhaust note itself.

This thread discusses how to install the resonators for optium effect:

https://mustangforums.com/m_2066298/tm.htm