Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Heads!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 06:49 PM
06_gt
1st Gear Member

Default Heads!

Hey whats up every one? Well there comes a time when you dont think you have enough performance and I have came to that point. I am looking into puting heads on my 06 mustang gt. I was wondering if anyone has done heads on their car. If you did i would like to know what kind of performance you gained and what type they are. Thanx
Old 01-28-2007, 07:31 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Heads!

reply removed....thought I was on the V6 forum.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:40 PM
06_gt
1st Gear Member

Ok so everything you just said doesnt matter to me cuz first off i dont have a v6 mustang and second from what i can tell you dont have heads on you car. lets stick to the question
Old 01-28-2007, 09:18 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Your money would be better spent on Forced Induction. The cost involved with the replacement of the heads would not justify the cost when compared to a supercharger.

Richard
Old 01-28-2007, 11:14 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

Where are you with your current mods? A cyl. head upgrade can certainly wake things up, but you're going to need to have a working combination, not just throw a set of heads on and hope for the best. Unless you're willing to upgrade just about everything else to go with a head upgrade, you're basically wasting your time and money. Any idiot (no offense to Richard) can bolt on a suprecharger (or pay someone to do it) and have more power, butto make decent, usable power from a nat. aspirated eigine takes some research and planning. Cyl heads are an integral part of that process, but won't automatically make more power.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:50 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Right now there are no aftermarket heads available for this car. However, several shops are doing ported heads. JDM and Livernois are widely reported as being among the best.

The heads are anywhere in the range of $1500-3500 depending on how extensive the porting is, and wether or not you get oversized valves with the heads or not.

A head swap will also take about 15 hours of labor, plus various parts including gaskets and bolts. According to the magazines, you can get 40-50 HP out of a head swap--though this assumes you already have supporting mods like a big intake and longtube headers

Personally I don't think it's worthwhile. The cost of the heads plus the labor and part is very high. You're looking at $3000 as a lowball figure when it's all said and done. A more realistic figure would be about $4000.

IMHO Cams would be a much better buy. They are much cheaper than heads ($1000 for all parts), the installation time is shorter, and you can expect 40 HP. That's 80% of the benefit for about half the price!
Old 01-29-2007, 02:45 PM
Haulupki
1st Gear Member

In my opinion it depends on what kind of power will make you happy. If you go through a head swap and then in two months say to yourself, its still is not enough power. You may want to just skip the heads, go with FI of some kind and spend the money for the heads onbeefing up the bottom end.But if 375ish rwhp is good enough then maybe heads and a camis the way to go. But its a lot of money forlittle gains "relatively" speaking.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:55 PM
06_gt
1st Gear Member

Steelcomp. I know where you are coming from. well when I get the heads i am also going to do cams. Right now i have a cold air intake bassani o/r x and bassanirace axel back. I put the intake and exhaust on this winter and i dont have a tune for them yet cuz i waiting to get the heads and cams done then order the tune. I also understand where richard is coming from cuz that was what i wanted to do in the first place. Kenne Bell 2.6 twin screw but i have heard that the stock clutch will last a block and in order do put down some more boost your going to have to switch the drive shaft. lots of money there..... Thats next winters project
Old 01-29-2007, 03:08 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

If you are thinking about cams and heads then you really ought to think about the SC instead.

First off, cams plus heads does not stack well. For example, a good set of heads might be worth 50 HP. Cams...perhaps 40. Both together? More like 60, if you're lucky.

Most of the big engine builders (who have tried this) don't really see a point in doing it. In fact, JDM claims that their heads flow so well that they only suggest using the stock cams, becasue the aftermarket ones make essentially no difference. If you don't belive me, call up these companies and ask them what kind of HP they are seeing on the dyno with the various mods.

Ok, so that's 60 HP. And what does it cost? $1000 for cams/springs, $2500 is typical for a set of heads. Easily $1500 in labor and required parts like gaskets, bolts, and so on. Do you really want to pay $5,000 for 60 HP?

If you want to spend that kind of money just get a supercharger. If you are worried about destroying downstream parts,simply set it up for lower boost. Run 4-5 psi and you'll be making more power than the heads/cams and you'll have the ability to get much more if you want it. The beauty of the SC is you can choose how much power you want by simply changing pullies.

Old 01-29-2007, 04:13 PM
smoke14me
2nd Gear Member

Well my personal opinoins is to add a blower to your car first. Depending on your taste and preference either a turbo or supercharger. But if you are dead set on heads you might consider the new FRPP ported and polished heads. From all the info I have found they dont sound to bad, except the 2300 dollar price tag for bare heads.

Quick Reply: Heads!