Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Questions on proper manual driving?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 03:20 AM
EmpYohon

Default Questions on proper manual driving?

Hello people GOT A FEW QUESTIONS REGARDINGSTANDARD DRIVING
I recently purchased a 2007 mustang gt 5-speed(Alloy clearcoat metallic). Its a gorgeous machine and is my third mustang to date. My previous stangs were a 89 gt auto and a 94 gt auto. Standard is entirely new to me and has proven to be a little more difficult to get used to then i initially thought.
I have only had the car 4 days putting a meger 500km on the odometer yet i think during my learning process I might have done some irreparable damage to the drivetrain. During the crucail break inperiodfollowingthe first few hours of driving i burnt the clutch three times. In eachinstanceattempting a hill start in traffic with many people behind me. I got nervous and reved the engine to 3k holding for like 5 seconds while letting the clutch out way to slow. The result was a atrocious burning smell and a weird ticking noise that soon afterthankfully vanished. Also in my lack of expi dropped from 5th to 2nd by mistake at aprox 60 mph on the highway. The *** end kickedout(it was wet out)and i nearly lost her to a spin whilethe enginejumped to 5.5kredlined then settled. Im really worried i mayhavedone some nasty damage to the drivetrain components.
Other wiseI have been pretty descent stallingvery infrequently and only jerking hermildly(lol)getting her through first and second shifting at 2500-3000rpm. Does anyone thinkI may have damaged the car?. Its a tough powertrain right?,I mean its rated for after market tunning and significantly more stress,so whatI have done cant have been that bad right?.It does seem to be making a odd whirring sound thoughwhich seems to be originating in the rear end from time to time thats more perceptable right after the clutch engages.

Has anyone done any of the following to there newcars or cars in general?and will it trully cause any upsets or problemsin the near future?
and do you have any tips for proper andefficient driving of the mustang gt 5-speed?

I wouldappreciate any info on this matter thxs people.
Cam K.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:27 AM
jonpo
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Questions on proper manual driving?

Welcome to the forums, man. I think your car will be fine. I mean there's a bunch of people out there who cannot drive a stick well. Don't worry about it. Just keep practicing, and you'll get it. Idrove a stick for a long time before I got my Stang, and I cannot even tell you how many times I stalled out in my first few weeks. It's just a tricky clutch, and the throttle lag doesn't help much at all either.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:50 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

You shouls be fine as much of that has happened to all of us at one time or another. The stock drivetrains are not quiet so the noise you hear may be normal also. Pau attention and see if anything changes and you can always take it in to have the noise checked out it you do not think its normal.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:22 AM
devore86
2nd Gear Member

how did you shif from 5th to 2nd, were you trying to downshif to 4th or something. once or twice shouldnt hurt it too bad. but i wouldnt do it again. as for tyhe stalling, thats normal for beginners. you will eventually get it. good luck.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:27 AM
CroDalmatinac
4th Gear Member

Instead of downshifting, why don't you just put it in neutral? Makes the whole process much easier...
Old 03-17-2007, 03:07 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I have done it once, it doesnt take much to try and downshift to 4th to get some power and go to 2nd instead.....cant say I have done it in about 2 years
Old 03-17-2007, 03:53 PM
PBR_Streetgang
1st Gear Member

These cars are pretty rugged, so unless the noise persists, it should be OK.

Practice and patience, especially on the hills. I've driven a few manuals in my day, but this one seemed just a little odd when I first drove it. It wasn't until some people started writing about the Mustang's release point (about 3/4 of the way up) on the clutch that I understood why it seemed different.On another thread, someone wrote aboutputting the car in first or reverse and letting the clutchout without applying gas.Great tip that should show you how/where the clutch engages. Amazing how easily it gets into gear that way--I don't even touch the gas while backing up.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:38 PM
the_unihusker
1st Gear Member

on a steep hill, try using the hand break anddisengage easy it as you let the clutch out. may help til you get more experience.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:11 PM
WhoMe
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CroDalmatinac

Instead of downshifting, why don't you just put it in neutral? Makes the whole process much easier...
This is the way I drive stick...is there anything wrong with this? Some people insist that I should down shift. Unless your racing a road course I dont see the point...I just dont want to damage anything if "neutral" shifting is bad for the clutch of somthin.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:19 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I hardly downshift....mostly put in N. Downshifting does halp the brakes out.

Quick Reply: Questions on proper manual driving?