Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Custom made X-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 05:15 AM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

Default Custom made X-pipe

I was wondering, would there be any diffrence between the aftermarket X pipes and the custom made ones ? I am not going to mae them in just anyshop.. I know a shop that will make me an x-pipe that looks great and is great im going to do it with D's of 2.5' so I was wondering lets say I needed a re-tune... is it possible to order aftermarket tunes for a custom made X-pipe ?

Another question is.. I asked this before but there are other guys who told me that the 3 peice UD pullies (the one with the IDLER) is better on our mustangs than the 2 peice pullies.... Is this true ? is there any effect ? If not then why did the companies make them ?
Old 03-12-2007, 05:21 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Custom made X-pipe

The x pipe will not need a tune unless it is deleting the cats (O/R x-pipe). I doubt you will see much difference either......especially if it is the same size as most aftermarkets ones are.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:46 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: saud alzaabi

I was wondering, would there be any diffrence between the aftermarket X pipes and the custom made ones ? I am not going to mae them in just anyshop.. I know a shop that will make me an x-pipe that looks great and is great im going to do it with D's of 2.5'
Performance-wise there should not be a difference if "your shop" knows what they are doing. However, I would be willing to bet that your local shop would make your X-pipe out of plain steel or Galvanized tubing. That will rust through unlike the stainless that is already on your car or what is available from most aftermarket places. VERY few exhaust shops work with stainless.

so I was wondering lets say I needed a re-tune... is it possible to order aftermarket tunes for a custom made X-pipe ?
You don't need a tune for an Xpipe unless you remove the cats....but if you did there would be no difference between home fab and store-bought.

Another question is.. I asked this before but there are other guys who told me that the 3 peice UD pullies (the one with the IDLER) is better on our mustangs than the 2 peice pullies.... Is this true ? is there any effect ? If not then why did the companies make them ?
No, this is not true. The idler is NOT needed. It's just extra "jewlry" that Motoblue puts in their kit to make it seem better than the other brands. But, that idler is actually HEAVIER than the OEM idler that it replaces! Technically it is a performanceDOWNGRADE to do the 3-pc kit instead of a 2-pc kit--though it would be a smalldifference.

Keep in mind that ALL of the UDPs are made in the same factory. The only difference is whose logo gets marked on them when theygo for sale. Buy whichever brand is easiest to get or the cheapest...they will all perform the same.

You could evenget the Motoblue 3-pc kit andsimply don't install the idler.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:43 AM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

I am sure the shop I am going to use a stainless steel tubing, They really know what they are doing.

So that was for my friends mustang with cat backs.. so no tune is needed.and he has the magnaflow cat back..

what about a mustang with stock catbacks.. would an X-pipe help in anything ? Just ANYTHING.. lol.. I want to change the sound a bit.. But also want performance..
Old 03-13-2007, 07:54 AM
probinator
3rd Gear Member

if you want performance get the cai and tune. But to get the most performance, take out the cats but you will need to use MIL eliminators or use a tuner to turn off the o2 sensors.

otherwise have them fab up you a x pipe and keep the cats.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:55 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Changing from H to X will get you a tiny bit more flow...maybe 3 HP or something like that? X-pipes also sound a little different.
Of course if you remove the cats altogether or put some high-flow cats in there you will see more power....perhaps as much as 10 HP.

As we have discussed many times, if you want performance out of the exhaust there are really only two options for significant gains:

1) Eliminate the cats or replace with high-flow cats

and/or

2) Longtube headers

...everything else is either just a sound mod or a very minor HP gain.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:24 PM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

Alright thats sweet.. Thanks guys for the info

Removing the catalyst Might affect my warranty or the police car renewal section may notice it if they checked it for car renewal..so for now I may go to Custom 2.5' X-pipes with stock cats untill I get either corsa stingers or borla stingers..

Old 03-13-2007, 06:50 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Saud, one thing you might think about is getting the Ford X-pipe kit. This is a small piece that converts your OEM H-pipe to an X-pipe. It should be much less work to do this than have a custom X-pipe made:

http://www.pmpparts.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=178
Old 03-14-2007, 02:01 PM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Saud, one thing you might think about is getting the Ford X-pipe kit. This is a small piece that converts your OEM H-pipe to an X-pipe. It should be much less work to do this than have a custom X-pipe made:

http://www.pmpparts.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=178
Thanks AL.. ( my mistake found the weight )

Also I calculated everything.. Its going to cost me almost the same.. So what do u suggest ?