Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

What DriveShaft to get?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 05:14 AM
Racefiend
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What DriveShaft to get?

CrazyAl, since you're a mechanical engineer, can you answer this question?

Being that the drivehsafts are made out of tube (all of the weight being on the outer edges), and that the steel ones like Denny's are 3", and most of the aluminum ones are 4", how much lighter than the 23 lb 3" Denny's driveshaft would a 4" aluminum driveshaft have to be in order to show in increase in HP, as it relates to rotational weight?

In other words, how light would a 4" DS need to be to have less rotational mass than a 23lb 3" DS, assuming all of the weight is on the outside?
Old 03-18-2007, 05:52 AM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

Dang, that's a good question concidering rotating mass has an impact.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Rock36
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Racefiend

CrazyAl, since you're a mechanical engineer, can you answer this question?

Being that the drivehsafts are made out of tube (all of the weight being on the outer edges), and that the steel ones like Denny's are 3", and most of the aluminum ones are 4", how much lighter than the 23 lb 3" Denny's driveshaft would a 4" aluminum driveshaft have to be in order to show in increase in HP, as it relates to rotational weight?

In other words, how light would a 4" DS need to be to have less rotational mass than a 23lb 3" DS, assuming all of the weight is on the outside?
I know you asked CrazyAl, but I would like to take my hand at it.

First you would have to know the exact thickness of the driveshaft walls, but if you assumed all the weight of thedriveshaft was at the outer edge the rotational moment of inertial is found by this equation: I = m r^2 where m is the mass and r is the radius from the center.

So we ideally would want both moments of inertia to be the same so we would have:

I(steel) = I(aluminum)

or m(steel) * radius^2 = m(aluminum) * radius^2

we know the radus of the two DS so

m(steel) * (3)^2 = m(aluminum)*(4)^2

m(steel)* 9 = m (aluminum) * 16

m(aluminum) = (9 * m(steel))/ 16

we know the mass of the steel drive shaft is 23 lbs

m (aluminum) = ( 9 * 23 )/16 = 12.93 lbs

So about 13lbs is what the 4" aluminum DS would have to weigh to have the same rotational mass as the 3" steel driveshaft weighing 23lbs

If that answer sounds way to light,I would have to know the thickness of the driveshaft walls for both driveshafts to get a more accurate answer. Or maybe I don't know what I am talking about and CrazyAl will correct me.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:12 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Rock, your logic is good, but you made one mistake that I can see. You used the diameters in the equations, not the radius....but it acutally doesn't affect the end calculation.

So, the 4" aluminum driveshaft has a radius of 2", and the 3" Steel driveshaft has a radius of 1.5"

m(steel) * (1.5)^2 = m(aluminum)*(2)^2
23*2.25 = m (aluminum) * 4
51.75 = m (aluminum) * 4
m (alum) = 51.75/4 = 12.4 lbs

Of course, this calculation ignores the "ends" of the driveshafts and assumes they are nothing but a long, hollow, tube ofnegligeably thin wall. It does not account for the U-joints or the flanges that hold them, or the telescopic joints in them, and so on, so it is questionable how accurate this would be...but it DOES show that even though the steel driveshaft from Denny's (for example) is statically heavier than the 4" driveshafts (Spyder / Powerhouse), it at the very least has similar (or possibly better) inertial characteristics.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Rock36
2nd Gear Member

doh....the devil is in the details. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:24 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Wow that was a great explanation. I should ahve been able to think of that on my own being a engineer and all but damn. Thanks I am glad I got the Denny's shaft!
Old 03-18-2007, 04:31 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

Way to go guys!!! Great explanation....
Old 03-18-2007, 04:48 PM
Racefiend
2nd Gear Member

Good info guys! Thanks for the replies
Old 03-18-2007, 10:44 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

Al and Rock, you guys should look at Jeepforums.com !! I have a 84 CJ-7 rockcrawler and calculations on torque, tire size, axle diameter, HP, and traction coefficent are daily happenings. You guys would be in heaven. And you would be blown away by how precise some of the "hardcore" guys are dialing in their rigs (within a couple of pounds before breakage). And I'm sorry to everyone else, yes this is off topic but the engineers in this thread can relate.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:39 PM
SPOOK R/T
2nd Gear Member

Inland Empire Driveline makes one. Its 4' and weighsonly 18 lbs. The stock ones weighs 40 lbs. So 22 lbs lighter thanstock. ModifiedMustangs has a nice story on it. (Page 68).

Quick Reply: What DriveShaft to get?