Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Turbo or Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 02:41 PM
baha
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Turbo or Supercharger?

ORIGINAL: modpower

This is how i feel about the two. With the turbo, you get a better torque curve, andwith better power,but with less reliability(i don't own a turbo car now, but i've owned 2 in the past few years and personaly i don't think they have gotten much more reliable if any). Everyone also knows any fi car comes from the factorywith safe boost levels, thats why they both are pretty reliable. Asfar as runningfi onfactory internalsit isreally a toss up cause either way once the boost is high enough the motor is a time bomb.Myself i prefer to hear the engine soi wouldn't choose either of them. Honestly as far as power adders go, you can call me dumb, or just old school but i'll test my luck with the NX plate kit. I think a car sounds its very best on the gas.
Man you got some impressive numbers 367rwhp & 370rwtq N/A? What mods have you done to your car? I always thought making big power n/a is alot cooler and more challenging than just F/I.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:42 PM
redxls
2nd Gear Member

granatelli 76m turbo kit on my 2007gt hit the dyno today. with a conservative tune and only 6.5lbs. of boost on a dynojet (standard) 393hp and 414tq. SAE 383hp and 402tq. not bad for 6.5lbs.Count me in for the turbo.
we made bigger numbers but I wanted an ultra safe, idiot proof tune. I will eventually re-tune at 8PSI.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:45 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

Wow, You went with the 76mm? was your future for the car?
We went the same route with the ultra safe tune. Sounds like you guys could of gotten 50-70 more hp out it. Nice and congrats and have fun!
Old 05-23-2007, 08:03 AM
redxls
2nd Gear Member

we had numbersalot closer to the magic 450rwhp numberwith the same boost but we had more timing and less fuel etc. I figure I would be happy know with 400. the car only has 1000 miles on it and I have the stock 17in. tires on it.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:42 PM
Skarkull
1st Gear Member

Ok, here is something to chew on, maybe someone can confirm this, but I was told that the Roush Supercharger kit did not void the factory warranty. Can anyone confirmor deny this?

Old 05-29-2007, 11:42 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

You’re partially correct. If the Roush is installed by a Roush Ford dealer and the Roush tune without any deviations is used then Roush, not Ford, will cover the warranty.

Earl
Old 06-02-2007, 04:21 PM
Vic gtcs

I've been researching this same thing for a while. What I've found is that centri's and turbo's only make power at higher rpm's. So that would only be good if your drag racing your car. Now root style superchargers start making power at lower rpm's. Which in my opinion is the way to go. I have a friend running 500+ with a whipple. I know another guy who tried a helion turbo and blew the rod out the bottom of the block. Now he has to build a bottom end to handle the turbo. So if you wanna do it right the first time spend the money and get an intercooled root style supercharger!
Old 06-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Dodger101

Modified Mustang Mazazine actually has two good articals this month on Turbo's for Mustangs, including an install go-by. Just and FYI.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:59 AM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Vic gtcs

I've been researching this same thing for a while. What I've found is that centri's and turbo's only make power at higher rpm's. So that would only be good if your drag racing your car. Now root style superchargers start making power at lower rpm's. Which in my opinion is the way to go. I have a friend running 500+ with a whipple. I know another guy who tried a helion turbo and blew the rod out the bottom of the block. Now he has to build a bottom end to handle the turbo. So if you wanna do it right the first time spend the money and get an intercooled root style supercharger!
Just to be clear, a Whipple is NOT a roots supercharger. It is a twin-screw design.