Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

BBKHelp a newby?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 02:16 PM
cboisits
2nd Gear Member

Default BBKHelp a newby?

I went to a shop yesterday and asked how much it would be to install BBK Shorty Headers($400est.) with a JBA o/r H-pipe ($175est.). He told me it would cost $985 to install. I asked for a breakdown of the pricing but after he said that it would be $300 for each header, I said thanks but that's more than I expected. Is that a fair price?
Old 03-29-2007, 02:55 PM
spdbrake
1st Gear Member

Default RE: BBKHelp a newby?

No way.....
Shorties give you about nill-zero-nada-null in gains but you can say "I got Headers". Take the $400 and get a tuner (SCT2), and a CAI intake. I think the Demolet and SCT2 are $524.00 @ Brenspeed last I looked..
If you want an O.R. H-pipe get a Pypes also thru Brenspeed. About $160.00, which can be cut down later for longtubes if you want them.
With out starting a flaming war (IMO) stay away from the X-pipes on the 05+.
(To quote a statement on Brenspeed's site) "If your friends say your car sounds like a Honda on duals...."
I've run at least 7 different setups on my car already and the least liked one was the Bassani X-pipe, to put it bluntly it actually sucked (again in my own opinion).
So stay with a H-pipe.

If you can't do it yourself plan on $300 in labor at a muffler shop.
Which getting harder to do these past few years. Last I heard EPA fines for the owner of the car run $10K and Shop owners $25K. Not that many places (except CA and AZ) enforce it.

If you go with headers insure to use quality locking fasteners like Breslin (do a search for my posts on this)
+metal gaskets not the paper ones that come with the headers.

Lastly, I like old school mucle car sounds, same as I like Rock-n-roll, but dislike C&W,Polka,Rap,Hip-hop,Jazz,Muzak.
Music to my ears is not music to everyone else.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:20 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: spdbrake

No way.....
Shorties give you about nill-zero-nada-null in gains but you can say "I got Headers". Take the $400 and get a tuner (SCT2), and a CAI intake. I think the Demolet and SCT2 are $524.00 @ Brenspeed last I looked..
If you want an O.R. H-pipe get a Pypes also thru Brenspeed. About $160.00, which can be cut down later for longtubes if you want them.
With out starting a flaming war (IMO) stay away from the X-pipes on the 05+.
(To quote a statement on Brenspeed's site) "If your friends say your car sounds like a Honda on duals...."
I've run at least 7 different setups on my car already and the least liked one was the Bassani X-pipe, to put it bluntly it actually sucked (again in my own opinion).
So stay with a H-pipe.

If you can't do it yourself plan on $300 in labor at a muffler shop.
Which getting harder to do these past few years. Last I heard EPA fines for the owner of the car run $10K and Shop owners $25K. Not that many places (except CA and AZ) enforce it.

If you go with headers insure to use quality locking fasteners like Breslin (do a search for my posts on this)
+metal gaskets not the paper ones that come with the headers.

Lastly, I like old school mucle car sounds, same as I like Rock-n-roll, but dislike C&W,Polka,Rap,Hip-hop,Jazz,Muzak.
Music to my ears is not music to everyone else.

Pretty much sums it up!
Old 03-29-2007, 04:26 PM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

That combo will not work well for you!!!!

Here is why...irrespective of anything else...THEY WONTMATE UP!!!! That is the bottom line!!!!

The shorty headers are made to connect to the stock (or stock style) h-pipe....the JBA o/r (or even catted) H-pipe is designed to mate up with the JBA longtubes....end of story...you will end up having to fab half the setup anyway...so if you are going to go through all that work....then get a matcing set...that will work better together and no fabing needed....
Old 03-29-2007, 06:09 PM
spdbrake
1st Gear Member

Sorry if I wasn't clear. "Pypes" is a Brand.
ThePypes OR pipe works with stock manifolds or Shorties with out any fabrication or cutting/welding.
Magnaflow also makes an OR (catted or not), as does Bassani (X-yech), which boltup to the shorties too.
The JBAs are for Longtubes, as is cutting your stock h-pipe 6" infront of the hangers and adding a 2 1/2" coupler and welding (or clamping them on), the Pypes ORcan be cut down the same way.
So when adding Longtubes, (Bassani,Hooker,JBA,Flowtech) you can go with cut stock, cut Pypes, BassaniX, JBA H.
I've used Bassani Catted X to stock manifolds. OR Bassani to manifolds. Hooker long tubes to Bassani X,Stock (cut) H-pipe to Hookers, JBA-H to Hookers.
Currently I run Hooker Cer Longtubes to (cut) StockH-pipe with 12" Dynomax race bullits (just in front of the H)for resonators.
Axlebacks I have run Bassani,Flowmaster,Magnapacks,Glasspacks,Heartthro b,Flowtech,Dynomax, and Classic Chambered mufflers in the mid-pipe area.
Currently I run Dynomax axlebacks and midpipes.
Spintechs are next.....
There really is not much of what I would call fabing to it. Two cuts, two couplings.
If you really want to be slick take the H-pipe to a muffler shop and have the ends (where you cut) expanded. But be sure to add the extra 2" to your measurements first. (measure twice, cut once).

Old 03-29-2007, 07:51 PM
cboisits
2nd Gear Member

I already have a K&N Cold Air Intake and Borla axel-back "stingers"(but now they refer to them as the "S" type. So ya think I should call up Brenspeed and buy the SCT2? I've been contemplating that for a while but go sidetracked when a Brenspeed rep said that headers are a + when you start tuning. I know Brenspeed gives you a choice of 3 tunes. My first would be an 87 octane fuel saver tune; my second would be a 93 octane all out "***** to the wall" ludicrous speed tune. Ok, so I have one left. What do I do? No gas station where I live has 91 octane. So would do I do for choice #3? I think Sunoco offers 94 octane. What do you guys think? (thanks for spending the time giving feedback; much appreciated)
Old 03-29-2007, 08:06 PM
spdbrake
1st Gear Member

I bought my CAI and tuner elsewhere, but should have gotten them from Brenspeed.
I bought my tunes there 87/91/93 for $110.00 (since I started elsewhere).
On mine I only use the 93 tune with Sunoco 100oct race gas, it pings on Pump 93oct.
Pricey stuff @ $6.30 a gal now.
So I run 93oct with the 91 tune.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:10 PM
david Boldmvs

Info on bbk underdrive pulley. install