Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Gear Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 06:33 AM
casperorr
2nd Gear Member

Default Gear Help Please

I recently had a Ford Racing 4:10 gear set installed on my 2007 Mustang GT. It was originally 3:31's. It is an automatic and had approximately 3,500 mile on it. I had AMP in Mesa Arizona do the work. First set I waited all day 6-7 hours for it, (I live out of town). It immediately made noise when decelerating coming to a stop. Could not take it back to shop, end of day they were now closed. Brought it back the next week, and they test drove it and said they would replace the gears. They had to order them, so 3 weeks later I brought it back for set number 2. Same thing, 6-7 hours to install, end of day I picked it up. Did not get two blocks and "CRAP" it was worse than before. Now it has a clanking noise under cruising and coming to a stop. End of day couldn't bring it back until next Monday. So, set number 3, this time I left the car the whole week so they could trouble shoot. "CRAP", still making noise. So they thought the 4:10's from Ford Racing were bad, so they installed a set of 3:73's. I really do not want 3:73's but they somehow talked me into it. CRAP, well 3:73's are no better, so they want me to install a auburn unit along with 3:73's. Can't, still under warranty. Dealer says gears are OK if Ford Racing Parts, but not to change out the limited Slip. So now they are thinking of installing a used set of 3:73's to see if they will work. I done, I want to have the original 3:31's put back in and get a refund. But my worry now is that they asked me "What if it still makes noise with the original gears (3:31's). Well, what does that mean. It never made any noise at all before. It was brand new. I am at a loss. Has anyone had anything like this happen to them, or have the same problem with Ford Racing Gears?
Thank you in advance for any help you can give me,

Casper
Old 04-14-2007, 07:04 AM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Gear Help Please

ORIGINAL: casperorr

I recently had a Ford Racing 4:10 gear set installed on my 2007 Mustang GT. It was originally 3:31's. It is an automatic and had approximately 3,500 mile on it. I had AMP in Mesa Arizona do the work. First set I waited all day 6-7 hours for it, (I live out of town). It immediately made noise when decelerating coming to a stop. Could not take it back to shop, end of day they were now closed. Brought it back the next week, and they test drove it and said they would replace the gears. They had to order them, so 3 weeks later I brought it back for set number 2. Same thing, 6-7 hours to install, end of day I picked it up. Did not get two blocks and "CRAP" it was worse than before. Now it has a clanking noise under cruising and coming to a stop. End of day couldn't bring it back until next Monday. So, set number 3, this time I left the car the whole week so they could trouble shoot. "CRAP", still making noise. So they thought the 4:10's from Ford Racing were bad, so they installed a set of 3:73's. I really do not want 3:73's but they somehow talked me into it. CRAP, well 3:73's are no better, so they want me to install a auburn unit along with 3:73's. Can't, still under warranty. Dealer says gears are OK if Ford Racing Parts, but not to change out the limited Slip. So now they are thinking of installing a used set of 3:73's to see if they will work. I done, I want to have the original 3:31's put back in and get a refund. But my worry now is that they asked me "What if it still makes noise with the original gears (3:31's). Well, what does that mean. It never made any noise at all before. It was brand new. I am at a loss. Has anyone had anything like this happen to them, or have the same problem with Ford Racing Gears?
Thank you in advance for any help you can give me,

Casper
I don't think these guys know what they are doing. With a good install, I've never heard of FRPP's being a problem. When I had Motives installed this week the techs could not shim out the whine so we went with FRPP's and all is good.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:23 AM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

+1 Sounds like they haven't got a clue. I'd ask for a refund and go somewhere else.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:16 AM
Scotty07
3rd Gear Member

First, it should not take 6-7 hours for someone who knows what they are doing.

I had an SVT Tech at my Fjord dealer do my FRPP 3.73's. It took him a couple hours and they are PERFECT. He does these all the time and does not have a problem setting them up.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Denny Carlton
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to hear that! Ask for a refund and goto a pro shop that dose gears and stuff like that all the time. good luck,
Old 04-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Are the gears genuine FRPP gears? The P/N for the real FRPP 4.10s is M-4209-G410A. Motive copies have a M at the end instead of A. Motive gears don't necessarily whine but they are harder to set up than FRPP gears.But like said above a gear install shouldn't take 7 hours. 3 at the most, but these S197s are very temperamental to gear setup. More so than previous mustangs. I'd find a different shop.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:19 AM
Mpaint99
2nd Gear Member

Just got mine installed by a certified FFRP Ford dealer and no noise. 5 hours to install. $400 .00 for labor. The service manager made a comment on how important it is to have a tech install them who knows what ther doing. Some Mustang axels are not centered correctly throwing the pinion off center which causes the problem your having.According to the service Tech who installed mine.Good luck.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:45 PM
2oo5stang
3rd Gear Member

They probably didn't get the backlash right, usually if it's off, it can make it whine. though i've seen frpp and motive installed right and still made a whine. hope they fix it for you.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:14 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Had FRPP 4.10's and 3.73's installed, both times I waited while they put them in. Both times the install took just under two hours. NO ISSUES . If it takes them 6 hours they must be doing other jobs in between and not paying attention to what they're doing to your car.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:34 PM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

WOW!!!!! Sounds like another satisfied AMP customer!!!!

I mean seriously....It is like RPM Outlet....Yeah every once in a while you hear about some one that is completely happy with them....but then you turn around hear 3 or 4 people who have just a horrible experience!!!!!

I mean then you have places like Brenspeed, Evolution, Stage3, B ama Chips, and others that yeah make mistakes, or may have something go not as planned, but they ALWAYS make it better and without hassle to you!!!!!!

Dude, sorry to say it sounds like you got amp'd!!!! Get a refund and have someone else fix it....

Quick Reply: Gear Help Please