Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

SuperCharger with Automatic Transmission??

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 05:48 AM
casperorr
2nd Gear Member

Default SuperCharger with Automatic Transmission??

Hello,
I am currently runninga Mustang GT with an automatic transmission and 4:10 gears, also with a C&L CAI and a 91 octane streettorque tune. I am pleased with the upgraded performance for the money. But I want to go with the SuperCharger. Brenspeed has a good dealon them ranging from 4,300.00 to 5,000.00, and they are complete kits, everything you need. But, is it a good idea to run a SuperCharger with an automatic transmission?? Any idea or experience with answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Casper
Old 06-09-2007, 05:56 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: SuperCharger with Automatic Transmission??

Contrary to popular belief: (and even some of the ol doubters are starting to come around[8D] )Automatics respond QUITE well to supercharging!!! Make sure what ever way you go that the tuner KNOWS it’s for an automatic transmission! Most all tuners now have tunes to make you automatic shift and perform very well even at their highest output level.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:32 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05SDI

Contrary to popular belief: (and even some of the ol doubters are starting to come around[8D] )Automatics respond QUITE well to supercharging!!! Make sure what ever way you go that the tuner KNOWS it’s for an automatic transmission! Most all tuners now have tunes to make you automatic shift and perform very well even at their highest output level.
+1 on everything this guy said. Automatics love F/I, andthey can usually take the abuse aswell.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:40 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

+1, and I would not hesitate to go with the Brenspeed kit, especially of you're planning on doing the install yourself.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:41 AM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

The only thing I would add to the above statements would be to get a good torque converter to go with the supercharger, either the TCI or the PI. The torque converter will make all the difference in the world for the superchrger combination.

Earl
Old 06-24-2007, 01:01 AM
stangoil
2nd Gear Member

well this is not goodtime to ask me i just got the transmission on the floor andI twistered the input shaft.
this hot rodding is fun had tci 3500 stall and cams,9 psi ect around 400 rwhp @5800 rpm 3300 above sea level was 1/4 mile with slicks 2nd to 3rd gear shift when it dumped the boost and got really loose in the tranny
Old 06-24-2007, 02:22 AM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

My third gear band burnt up with about 1500 miles on it after the s/c install. It seems some guys are having good luck with there a/t holding up and some are not. I have read some have alot of hard miles, some very few like me. Mine was dynoed tuned by Brenspeed. I know heat seems to be a factor, I did add the high capicity pan that Brenspeed sells. I'm going to start saving for a heavy duty trans. I seen on another forum that tci may have one out by the end of July that will be ableto handle 800 h.p. In my opinion you are rolling the dice adding a s/c with this a/t.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:44 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

My stock trans blew third gear about 3500 miles after adding a Kenne Bell.
I have now upgraded to the Level 10 Stage III automatic and their billett torque converter. I have much firmer shifts, trans does not feel sloppy now. launches a 1.6 60' time too.
The supercharger loves the automatic transmission but the tranny is not really meant to hold excess of 500 HP. A minimal upgrade of the TC would be recommended.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:09 PM
PinupGirl77
ROTM Moderator

I have an automatic that is S/C and it made a huge difference. I recently upgraded the pulley and Roush tune. I am very happy with the performance. I am getting 3.73 gears soon.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

I'm doing the Brenspeed Paxton package the week of July 9th. I'm having them do the install and dyno tune as I know they know what they are doing. One of Brent's test cars is an auto and he had the Paxton set-up on that one. I'm keeping the numbers below 450 to play it a little more safe (of course there are no guarantees). Also doing the deep pan from Brenspeed as well.

Quick Reply: SuperCharger with Automatic Transmission??