Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Underdrive pulleys

Old 06-21-2007, 03:53 AM
smithflys23

Default Underdrive pulleys

What are the pro's and con's for underdrive pulleys? Particulary the cons, thanks
Old 06-21-2007, 03:10 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Underdrive pulleys

Use the Search button at the top of the screen and you'll find TONS of info.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:19 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

Back when I had them on my 5.0 I seem to remember people saying they could cause overheating and/or undercharging problems at idle...but people say the darnedest things,you know. I know I read one thread on this forum where someone cross-threaded their crank hub when installing the underdrives and now are in need of at least a re-threading if not an entire crank, so be careful...but I guess 10 horse for 200 bucks is a pretty good deal for these cars...

Richie

p.s. but for less than 200 you can get some gears...of course the downside of those is that gearsetting is an art so you really need to have a good gearsetter or you'll get a lot of noise or worse...but I don't imagine the labor would be too badas long as you stay away from dealerships...
Old 06-21-2007, 03:50 PM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

I got my pulley's used for like 75 in the Parts For Sale forum. Good stuff there, should be a set on sale now if you look. Installed them myself with an impact and it took about 2hrs. Probably would have been quicker but I had just driven the car and so I had to work around a hot engine.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:07 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I'm also interested in the cons of UDP's.

I've heard that with a UDP that the air conditioning takes a little bit longer to cool the cabin. I don't think that the car will have any cooling problems because you replace the water pump pulley with a larger one to keep it running at the same speed.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:35 PM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

cons=minimal. The engine temp barely changes because of the new water pump pulley. The A/C might take an extra 1min at most to start cooling. Once the car starts moving and you get the RPMs up past 1K it should be fine. I've had the UDPs on for over a month and I still leave my A/C fan speed on 1 while driving. The voltage meter hasn't changed either. It's been slightly to the charging side the entire time I've had the car, before and after the install. The only con is if you install it wrong. Once installed properly, you'll be very happy.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:48 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

There are no cons to report re: UDP's.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:53 PM
smithflys23

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-22-2007, 12:36 AM
djmac95
2nd Gear Member

Not trying to hijack, but this could be a potential con... So I currently have a decent sized stereo system running two amps for about 1500 watts and I also plan to wire in a radar detector. I have stayed away from UDP's so far because I had heard that I could run down the battery due to the alternator not being able to fully do its job. Any thoughts on this?
Old 06-22-2007, 01:38 AM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: djmac95

Not trying to hijack, but this could be a potential con... So I currently have a decent sized stereo system running two amps for about 1500 watts and I also plan to wire in a radar detector. I have stayed away from UDP's so far because I had heard that I could run down the battery due to the alternator not being able to fully do its job. Any thoughts on this?
yep that could cause some issues

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Underdrive pulleys