Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

engine chockes

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 02:42 PM
flash233

Default engine chockes

I have a 2005 GT auto and I have noticed that sometimes when I punch the gas it kind of chokes for a second, anyone know what could cause this. I have a FR1 power pack installed, but I am sure it did this once or twice before it was added.

Thanks Gordie
Old 08-21-2007, 09:22 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: engine chockes

Sounds like the drive by wire system! It is a bitch and needs to be tuned for crisper and sharper throttle response. You are not alone and I think from what you are describing that it has nothing to do with the suspension setup. If you have a canned tune than I would advise getting a dyno tune from a reputable installer/mechanic and see if it improves the throttle response. Welcome to the forum!
Old 08-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Default RE: engine chockes

Do you notice the choke at a certain gear and rpm?
Are you SURE you aren't losing traction for a second?
On mine... I notice that if I am above 3000 rpm... say 3500-4000 and I punch it... it seems like it chokes for a sec.. only in that gear..
but I am all stock.. and I will see a traction light sometimes when I do this... NOT everytime but alot.
Whats funny is that usually when I turn the TCS OFF it does not do this... (funny since TCS should make it better in theory I'd think)

I am still trying to figure out myself for sure if it is traction, or what the hell it is...
Any clues guys?
Old 08-21-2007, 04:51 PM
flash233

Default RE: engine chokes

Thanks to both of you for your replies, I will describe some of my experiences to give you a better idea of my problem.
Once I was pulling out into traffic from a side street and when I punched it it was almost like it was going to stall.
Another time I was at a 4 way stop and when it was my turn to go I again punched it and the same.almost a stall, then it would go.
I didn't have the TC off either time, just punched it hard.
Also the only tune I have is the one that comes with the FR1 kit from Ford Racing.
I have an auto and usually turn the overdrive off when I want to go fast, is that a good idea?

Flash233
2005 Mustang GT
Old 08-22-2007, 06:14 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Turning OD off should not hurt the car at all. Turn the TC off every time you get in the car. I think if you had a custom tune it can be turned off indefinitely by the handheld tuner....I think. Its either the TC not off like the other poster described or your tune which I doubt now that you said the TC is on when this happens.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:23 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

fuel pump tsb anyone
Old 08-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Anyone have a link to the fuel pump TSB?
I noticed mine is ONLY doing it when TCS is on I believe.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Also.. if it only does it with the TCS on... is this normal and supposed to happen? Remember mine does this with TCS on and I am pure stock.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:11 AM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Hmm, sounds like it's leaning out. You say it's choking but that means that it would be getting too much fuel and not enough air.
The TCS is designed to cut power when the rear end breaks lose.
If it's still leaning out even when the TCS is turned off, you are experiencing a lean condition.
The program that controls the air fuel mixture during acceleration (fuel curve) is not set up correctly or the computer is being fed incorrect data due perhaps to a faulty Mass Air Flow sensor or you could have an undetected vacuum leak.
You say your car is all stock yet it has an FR1 perf. package which is only good for 20HP or so.
It has a different MAF sensor, higher flow air cleaner and mufflers.
Check all your connections. The new MAF sensor connector, the crank case ventaliation line, vacuum lines etc. Make sure everything is installed correctly.
If that doesn't cure your problem, I suggest you take it to your dealer and explain what's going on and have them run a diagnostic on it. Or you can take it to your near by Mustang hot rod shop and have them put her on a dyno to track exactly what's going on under load.
Sure sounds like she's leaning out to me.
It is also possible that the TCS is not disengaging when turned off.
I don't know if TCS cut out is standard on your pony as I don't know what year it is. I know it's standard on '07's and up. However, the TCS is only going to engage if she breaks lose. At least that's the only time it's supposed to work.
Could be a glitch in the FR1 program too and perhaps there is an updated program for it from Ford.
Hope this helps!
Wolfey2k
Old 08-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Your miss reading posts... his has the pack on it... mine is all stock and only seems to do it with the TCS on....
and does it when I punch it in second gear from about 3.5 RPMs and up with a full punch to the floor.
You are reading two different people's postings.
That's why i was asking if it was normal for it to do this when TCS is on.

Mine is an 06GT.

Quick Reply: engine chockes