Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Ford Racing Power Pack FR1

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 06:47 PM
flash233

Default Ford Racing Power Pack FR1

Just wanted to share an experience I had after installing the FR1 pack from Ford Racing in my 2005 GT. I installed the cold air intake myself, very simple, but had the mufflers installed at my local dealer. Have had no problems until I took my car in because the "check fuel cap" light wouldn't go off. The dealer said that my warranty was voided because of an aftermarket modification and they could not work on my car. After talking with the tech he said he would try to help me, but the problem was he could not get into the car's computer because of the mod, the kit comes with a pro cal flash tuner. We madea call to Ford Racing and they were able to tell the tech how to get in. In the end I was lucky because the tech wanted to help me, he said some other tech could have flaged my car in the system and no more warranty. The moral to the story is if you want to keep your warranty intact have your dealer put this pack in for you, even thought Ford Racing themselves advertise this as a do it yourself kit...don't do it yourself. I mentioned to the guy ar Ford Racing why isn't there a warning in the documentation telling customers that. He said it was on the website, well I never saw that anywhere, must be in the small print. But I just thought someone out there might find this helpful. It definately pays to have a good relationship with your local dealer, that saved me on this one.

p.s. apparently the problem with the fuel cap light is common on the newer mustangs, they had to replace some part under the gas tank.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:13 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Ford Racing Power Pack FR1

It does state that the warranty can be voided if not installed by a dealer. Yes its easy to put on yourself though and in all reality FORD can not just void your entire warranty unless the mods actaully are causing the problems
Old 08-24-2007, 11:46 PM
990rtracer

Thanks you just talked me into letting the dealer put on our CAI and tune.I bought the FR1 kit as well. I have done the opposite of you , I have put on the mufflers but have been hesitant to throw on the CAI and tune. Have only had the car just over 2 weeks. I think I will go have a talk with the service writer on this one and have them do the 1st oil change and the CAI/Tune. I can do all my own work on my 9.90 Super Gas car but screwing with the warrenty on my wife and I's new baby scares the crap outta me. LOL

Keith

[IMG]local://upfiles/53297/5A02772B039B410282E2681E481DE308.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-25-2007, 04:32 PM
flash233

I think 990rtracercan confirm there is nothing in the papers you get with the kit telling you not to do it yourself, I would have for sure had the dealer do the whole thing if I knew I was voiding my warranty. All you get is an instruction sheet. I am sure you are right about Ford not being able to void my entire warranty, for sure my CAI had nothing to do with the "check fuel cap" light being on, but I bet they would give you one hell of a hard time about getting any work done. Question: what is the best way to clean the filter on these CIA kits?

Thanks
Old 08-25-2007, 05:19 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I would just buy a new filter for ~50 when the time comes.....depending how dusty of a climate you are in, the filter just need to be "banged" to knock the loose dirt off every so often and changed at 30k maybe
Old 08-25-2007, 09:40 PM
990rtracer

ORIGINAL: flash233

I think 990rtracercan confirm there is nothing in the papers you get with the kit telling you not to do it yourself, I would have for sure had the dealer do the whole thing if I knew I was voiding my warranty. All you get is an instruction sheet. I am sure you are right about Ford not being able to void my entire warranty, for sure my CAI had nothing to do with the "check fuel cap" light being on, but I bet they would give you one hell of a hard time about getting any work done. Question: what is the best way to clean the filter on these CIA kits?

Thanks
Yep, nothing about a warranty or YOUR existing warranty, I was about ready to toss the CAI on after getting our tuner (got it in 2 days after requesting it) but started thinking about what if it throws a check engine light or something. So I finally found it on the Ford Racing site and found it there in the fine print self install = zero warranty, dealer install your existing warranty is reduced to a maximum of 12 months depending on if you have that left. So now if I install it I will loose 2 years of warranty off my new HOT ROD.