Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Want to wake up my GTA's a bit

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 07:56 PM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Want to wake up my GTA's a bit

ORIGINAL: harraid5711

i had the same bug bite me after 3 months with the GTAs. My solution?? Boomtubes!!!! never looked back.

careful with the off road h. i looked into that as well, and heard from several people on here that the GTAs don't respond the same as others and sound like S***.
Really, wow... I have never heard that. In fact, all I've heard is the contrary. I am actually leaning towards an o/r prochamber to go with my GTA's (as I've heard it sounds much like an h-pipe but cleaner and deeper) and desperately searching for clips of that combination.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:29 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

the prochamber should sound deeper and more pleasing. the o/r hpipe would be louder. but louder isnt always better. i think you made a good choice.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:06 PM
dr350rider
1st Gear Member

I have GTAs and am wanting a little more, too. If anyone is still following this post I have a question. After I put on my GTAs I took the car down to a muffler shop to have them welded in and they sold me on welding up a custom x-pipe for me. It's a lot like the FRPP x-pipe. I only had my GTAs on for a week when I went to the x-pipe but I think they were louder with the factory h-pipe. Is that possible? Would it be worthwhile to go back to a factory like catted h-pipe or would it all be about the same as what I have now?
Old 12-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

I don't see why they welded anything in... but I guess the volume would depend on what "custom" means on the x-pipe.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:45 AM
MyGrabberOrangeGT
2nd Gear Member

How many miles do you have on them?
I have 26000 on my GTA'sand they have come into their own rather well I think.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dr350rider

I only had my GTAs on for a week when I went to the x-pipe but I think they were louder with the factory h-pipe. Is that possible?
An X-pipe typically reduces the amount of low-frequency V8 rumble, if that's what you remember.

Norm
Old 12-19-2007, 05:28 PM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MyGrabberOrangeGT
How many miles do you have on them? I have 26000 on my GTA'sand they have come into their own rather well I think.
Its been about 5k miles since I put on my GTA's, so I think they are broken in enough. Leaning towards a prochamber setup to wake them up even more. Prochamber/GTA clips anyone?
Old 12-19-2007, 10:23 PM
cefiro80
2nd Gear Member

My vote is for the long headers.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:46 AM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

Just re-installed my GTA's & factory over-axle pipes yesterday. I was running the Pypes Mid-muffler,OBX L/T's & O/R H. It was way too loud for me with the headers & mid-mufflers.Putting the GTA's back on made a big difference,it's now only about half as loud.Quieter now than with the mid-mufflers & factory H w/cats. The headers & O/R H wakes up the GTA's,primarily above 3000rpm. The idle & cruise are still quiet, just a small step up from the GTA's & stock H. Above 3000, it's quite a bit louder that with the stock H. NO drone at all. The Prochamber gives it a slightly deeper tone, but not louder than running a O/R H.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:17 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

I used to run Kooks L/T’s with catted X and the GTA’s. I loved the sound and I think an off road X would still sound very good without being too loud. I have a set of BoomTubes that I will try with the new turbo’s and decide which I like better the Boomtubes or the GTA’s with the new setup.

Earl

Quick Reply: Want to wake up my GTA's a bit