Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

supercharger/boost question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 04:08 PM
ssemich
1st Gear Member

Default supercharger/boost question

I have been inquiring about a supercharger that will work with my CDC chaker and foose hood. My local dealer tells me that the vortec, paxton and procharger run too much boost. He said anything over 5lbs of boost is too much and not good for the motor.

Her recommended the roush supercharger which uses 4 lbs of boost to get its horsepower. Unfortnunatley there is no current way to attach the CDC shaker to the roush. He said roush and saleen use low boost to get their horsepower.

He said could put another type of charger on my car than roush, but would have to talk to them about retarding the boost to 4-5 lbs at most. Not sure if I would get anything out of it at that point?

I can't imagine that all the people who hae vortechs, paxton and prochargers have blown up their motors from running over 4 lbs of boost.

Steve
Old 12-15-2007, 04:30 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: supercharger/boost question

I don't really agree with what they are saying. I have not blown up my motor and I've been running the Paxton since early this summer. Hitting about 10psi at 6000rpm and making really good power. I think alot of folks here are running 8-10psi without any problems. Now, the lower boost obviously is safer on the motor but you also will not be making the same amount of power. You will not be running 450rwhp on 4psi on a Roush.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:33 PM
ssemich
1st Gear Member

thanks...I kind of thought so...

I am thinking of doing underive pulleys, MSD supercoils, CMMV Removal plates, X pipe, 373 gears, throttle body and spacer for the time being until I get my charger and put the stock pulleys back on at that point??

What type of gains do you think I might see with those mods for the time being?

Steve
Old 12-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

Not sure if you have it (tune) but I would do the following:

1. CAI and Tune
2. Pullies
3. Delete Plates
4. x-pipe
5. Gears

Depending on your timing on the supercharger you may want to hold-off on the pullies. I would not mess with TB and spacer as I have yet to see anyone get anything but problems with them. As far as tune I'm a Brenspeed fan but there are several very good ones around. I would say you would see 30-40HP max with the mods listed above. The tune is the best bang for the dollar and will improve power and throttle response. If you are an auto, it will really wake up the car. Good luck!
Old 12-15-2007, 04:52 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

10ibs of boost on stock motor.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:53 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

Dont waste your money with all that stuff. Get Blown right away. ahha
Old 12-15-2007, 05:15 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Saleen just announced a new intake setup that connects to the shaker. You should give them a call.

Earl
Old 12-15-2007, 05:54 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

Thats ridiculous. Ford RAcing makes the 500 hp kit for a completely stock motor. First of all do not go to a dealership for performance.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:46 PM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

I don't agree with what your dealer is saying. (See post in the 4.6 section.) It almost sounds like he's pushing the Roush because that's what he offers. (I'm not saying anything is wrong with the Roush.) I'm just saying do more research before you decide. (This forum, vendors like Brenspeed that have experience with multiple F/I setups, etc.)

Sleeper2
Old 12-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Mustanger The Great

You're right about Brenspeed, but the dealer can't make money if they send you there, they can if you buy the Roush parts through them though. It sad but in my experience dealers only care profits, not their customers and their needs.

Quick Reply: supercharger/boost question