Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Lets Talk Aluminum Driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 11:51 PM
SD05GT
3rd Gear Member

Default Lets Talk Aluminum Driveshaft

Hey I'm looking for some input on someone who has an aluminum driveshaft. What brand is a good one to go with? How much of a difference did it make. I'm thinking about doing one when I put in my 3:73 gears!
Old 01-08-2008, 02:25 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Lets Talk Aluminum Driveshaft

Spydershaft. Most other brands require the use of an adapter, which seems like a half-*** job to me. Replacing the pinion flange makes for a better product IMHO. Spydershaft says the product is good for 2 tenths on a stock GT, but I cannot confirm, as my car recieved several mods at the same time the shaft was installed.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:49 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Powerhouse 4" aluminum is what I have in my car. I have never had any issue up to 165 MPH. There are several people on this forum running the Powerhouse.
I actually prefer using a billet adapterrather thanchanging the pinion yoke as the pinion change can lead to whining if the crush sleeve is not pre-loaded correctly.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:08 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zkiller

Powerhouse 4" aluminum is what I have in my car. I have never had any issue up to 165 MPH. There are several people on this forum running the Powerhouse.
I actually prefer using a billet adapterrather thanchanging the pinion yoke as the pinion change can lead to whining if the crush sleeve is not pre-loaded correctly.
You make a good point. I have the spydershaft and it wasn't installed perfectly. On top of that I later found out my gears were installed poorly. All this resulted in burning out the bearings, crush sleeve over tightened, etc which came about due to the D/S install. Had Ford do the repair to get all the mods warrantied.

With that said, this is no fault of the D/S and the fact that Ron uses a new pinion flange and bypasses an adapter plate is a better design no question. The potential for a problem becomes greater though when reusing the crush sleeve, pinion bolt, and not having a it installed perfectly. Having the adapter plate bypasses that potential but it doesn't mean you are getting a better driveshaft, it just means you are avoiding the risk of having a bone head install your stuff.

If I had to do it all over again, I would STILL go with the Spydershaft, I would have just gone to Ford first, payed through the nose but had it warrantied so if it whines, whatever it is covered. The rearend is covered now but I had to essentially pay twice for the gears and D/S install to get it right.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:25 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SD05GT
I'm thinking about doing one when I put in my 3:73 gears!
I would do each mod separately. So if you do have an issue with whine or vibration, you won't have to figure out which mod is causing it.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:35 AM
SD05GT
3rd Gear Member

Yeah but having them done seperately is kind of paying twice for something. I appreciate the input but I am going to get them done at the same time. I have a great mechanic (HCM OUT HERE IN SAN DIEGO) who is strictly a mustang guy. He really builds some amazing cars. I'll definitely push for a guaranteed whine free install thou. So spydershaft is the way to go with? SORRY GUY spydershaft 2 to 1 so far . Anyone else with some input?

Old 01-09-2008, 10:11 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

The onlything that you aredoing twice is the actual lifting and lowering of the car on the lift. The driveshaft is not touched when the gears are changed and the pumpkin is not opened when the driveshaft is changed. But whatever floats your boat.

I will, however, have my shifter replaced when I install my new Spydershaft.Removing the driveshaftmakes the shifter install go much easier!
Old 01-09-2008, 04:29 PM
jbs07stang
1st Gear Member

It would be easier to make sure the pinion bearing preload is correct if you install it when you install the gears. If I were going to install gears and driveshaft, I would do them both at the same time. Just my opinion.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:52 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

The driveshaft is not touched when the gears are changed.
Really? It must be a bitch to get that pinion gear out of the 8.8 rear-end with the yoke and driveshaft still bolted on the end of it
Old 01-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zkiller

The driveshaft is not touched when the gears are changed.
Really? It must be a bitch to get that pinion gear out of the 8.8 rear-end with the yoke and driveshaft still bolted on the end of it
[sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=funnypostabove.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Quick Reply: Lets Talk Aluminum Driveshaft