Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 02:56 PM
Tedubb3

Default Headers

After reading many of the comments, JBA headers might be the best bang for the buck. I dohave a BBKCold air intakewith a 62mmBBK throttle body.Will this combo improve any HP or torque?
Old 04-14-2008, 04:37 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Headers

Long tubes or nothing. Don't mess with a hassle of shortys. With a tune and added lt you could probably get another 15 rwhp.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:55 PM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

Long tubes or nothing - NOT! It really depends on what you want to do (e.g., drag, road race, daily driver, etc...) and how you drive your car. If you are driving *****-to-the-wall nearly all the time, and in the upper RPM range LTs are for you. If you looking to increase low to mid-range torque in a DD, you are better of with shorties (as opposed to nothing). Check out some of the previous "Header Debates" and choose for yourself after reading up some more. This thread has some good info on shorties and some links to a couple of places that explain how headers work https://mustangforums.com/fb.asp?m=4796584.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:14 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Shortys aren't gonna do jack on a mostly stock s197. No gains out of shorties, your delirious my friend. Just like that 87 tune you have. i'm sure you think that's got more power than a 93 right? K&n drop in air filter? Come on. Sit at the adult table son.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:26 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I find it funny how every long tube versus shorty thread becomes heated within 3 posts. State your opinion and try not to get so pissed of if someone disagrees before we get totally off topic again.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:37 PM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: brad281

Shortys aren't gonna do jack on a mostly stock s197. No gains out of shorties, your delirious my friend. Just like that 87 tune you have. i'm sure you think that's got more power than a 93 right? K&n drop in air filter? Come on. Sit at the adult table son.
You speak from experience then? You have actually installed a set of tuned shorties on your mostly stock s197 and felt no gains? I think not. Unless you have actually done (and not felt in your case) what your putting down, you do not have a clue. BTW... where did I say I thought an 87 octane tune made more power than a 93 octane tune? I do not have a dyno queen or some garage trophy/weekend toy. I drive my GT 120 miles every workday and I know how to multiply and divide, so it doesn't really take a lot for me to figure out, that for ME, an 87 octane tune is more cost effective and works better for me 95% of the time. I just happen to be running the Bamchips 93 Torque tune right now, but feel no need to update my signature to impress you and get a ticket at the "adult" table. As far referring to me as son, since I owned my first Mustang ('69) back in 1978, I am reasonably sure that you should save that for someone else.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:13 PM
Tedubb3

I want to thank everyone for the posts and will take all opinions into consideration.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:28 PM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

haha listen to these guys...just ridiculous!!

the fact of the matter is that the shorties will not post impressive gains mainly becuase the stock manifolds are already very strong!
Thats why many people say you wont feel a difference, but you will!

It all depends on what you want...you want the sound? Then yes, LT will give you better sound, if your looking for torque, then you will want SH...

Everytime this topic comes up, its all about people who think they are right...both have pros and cons...do some research and ignore the arguing...it depends on what you want...and my suggestion, unless you are certain with what you want, stick with stock until then because you will never be dissapointed with stock and you can change them when you make a decision.

Me personally I went with BBK LT's...they are cheap...so if i decide to change later, I didnt spend an arm and a leg, and we are talking a difference of a handful of HP between brands and design...

dont lose sleep over a few HP...go with what suits your driving...these topics open the table to everyone who suggests their brands. I dont advertise BBK becuase everyone will flame about how they are cheap...your right, they are!

and they do the same job as every other LT...so i cant complain!
Old 04-15-2008, 10:28 AM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Having had the benefit of driving a car with Shorties every day, and having a close friend who has a set of Kooks LT's on his car that I drive whenever I want, I can say I have a pretty decent opinion on these. Both cars are pretty close in mods, with the largest diffence being in the brands of mods we used. Every time we line up, it's almost like we are acting out the same script. We launch and I pull out about 1/4 car untilsecond gear comes and he creaps forward and puts my nose at his front tire. Shift to third and I pull about half that distance back until we hit about the mid-point of the gear, and then he pulls back away to where he was. Before I put the shorties on and he had his LT's, There was no contest. he got me on the launch and I never had a chance after that.

From my experience, Shorties will give ya alot more on the small end than long tubes will. Any place where torque is what you want, the added scavenging that shorties give ya help in the production of torque. Long tubes, by their design are for flowing large volumes of air and leave the moving of it to the engine. Up top however, the LT's do have an advantage.

As for sound, Shorties have a nice growl to them. Not as aggresive as the LT's, but nice. Both my buddy and I have GTA's and stock mid-pipes. His car can usually be heard a good 2 blocks or so before mine. However, up close, people say his car sounds "Nasty" while mine sounds "Healthy"...

Overall, for a Daily driver (which mine qualifies for as I just turned 20,000 miles in 11 months), I think shorties are a better choice. More low end, not as intrusive sound-wise, and emissions equipment friendly for easy inspection. If your looking more for a "Toy" that comes out on the weekends, and spends as much time on the track as on the road, Long Tubes are your best bet.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:45 AM
SuperSonic05
3rd Gear Member

I am attaching my dyno. First run is a before when I just and an BBK cai and Brenspeed tune. The second one is after I had my JBA L/T witha JBAcatted H pipe installed. There is no lost of tq in the lower end only gains. It feel like a different car, more so then when I got the Intake and tune.

Note this is on a mustang dyno, so my number on a dynojet would be 8-10% higher.

Quick Reply: Headers