Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Fluctuating Idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 02:31 PM
btowse

Default RE: Fluctuating Idle

Thanks. I'll try the cleaner.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:02 AM
Mustang85

Btowse, did you ever get this issue fixed? I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but apparently that is a common problem on 05-06 GT's. I had this problem myself when I first got my 05 used in 07. It would do it occasionally for a few seconds then stop, and the problem became more and more frequent over the course of several months. Wasn't real frequent, but every other week or so, it would show itself for a minute or so. It eventually got to the point where when the idle would begin to fluctuate, the idle would dip so low it would kill the car. A few weeks later, the problem started again and I immediately got a check engine light and the car went into failsafe mode.

Anyway, problem is the throttle body assembly. When I did a search for this, I found a number of people that had the same problem and it was usually the same culprit. Ford replaced it under warranty and haven't had the problem a single time since. I have read that some members simply "clean" their throttle bodies to fix the problem. Since mine was under warranty and finally threw a code for the dealer to diagnose, I didn't have to worry about all that. Hope this helps.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:25 AM
ohfiveride
2nd Gear Member

finally other people have this problem too.....my idle has been dropping down way too low then back to where it should be after a couple of secs only after i put it in nuetral coming to a stop....it has been on and off....but getting worse to where the car stalls..today it stalled as i was making a left turn and the powering steering died as i mwas watching a car almost t-bone me.......now what is bothering me is ive had my 05 since 7-05 with no problems...and now all of a sudden i hear more and more stories of this happening to others too....but nobody has a definite answer....i am giong to take the advice of the above post and clean my throttle body...hopefully that help....(i recently replaced my fuel filter, and cleaned my c&l....)
Old 07-15-2008, 09:49 AM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

O-5: Make sure that when you clean your air filter, or more importantly when you re-oil your air filter, that you do not get too much oil on it. That is were the problem (dirty throttle body) originates. The tunes just heighten this issue. Clean the throttle body and MAF and you are good to go (repeat in a couple of months if necessary).
Old 07-15-2008, 12:19 PM
ohfiveride
2nd Gear Member

well this problem began last week BEFORE i cleaned the filter but now its getting worse..im gonna take a look at everything tom when i get home from work...i hope its the oil ....im just afraid of a bigger underlying problem.....but more pissed that i cant find the exact cause....
Old 07-15-2008, 08:02 PM
btowse

I'm sure the throttle body is the culprit. I did a couple of tests last week. I put the factory box and tune back and drove it for a week to see if it had the same problem. At first, I didn't notice it but it did drop down to about 500 rpm but corrected itself quickly and stayed at around 800-900 rpm. Then I reinstalled the CAI and tune and got the same problem but instead of correcting itself, it bobs up and down like it's going to stall. Turned on the air conditioning and that's all it could take. It stalled at 2 different stop lights with the added strain of the A/C.
Now I know it's not an air leak. The CAI just seems to be more sensitive to the problem than stock.

Does anyone know of a good throttle body cleaner to recommend? Filter cleaner?

Old 07-15-2008, 08:44 PM
btowse

Oh, and just curious. What does your car idle at?

[IMG]local://upfiles/71344/6E3E86F1B3BA44CEB94F418B6396992E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-15-2008, 09:42 PM
ohfiveride
2nd Gear Member

i set the idle at 1000 to overcorrect the problem .....but it did not help.....funny bc i turned on the a/c 3 weeks ago and got stuck in yet another intersection with a dead car while traffic was about to plow me...thats actually the first time i experienced the problem...i guess the a/c just brought out the problem more....tom i will clean out the throttle body...hopefully it is covered in crap and the culprit....i really dont want to bring my car to a shop for them to tell me they cant replicate the problem....
Old 07-17-2008, 09:35 AM
btowse

I cleaned the throttle body and MAF sensor and reinstalled my CAI and tune this morning. Didn't realize it was so dirty until I saw how brown the run off was when I sprayed it. Now it runs and idles better than ever! Idle is a consistent 900 rpm. Thanks to those of you who suggested it. I should have tried it in the first place.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:00 PM
ohfiveride
2nd Gear Member

yep...problem solved..it was my dirty throttle body .....cleaned out all the gunk and it runs nice and smooth....

Quick Reply: Fluctuating Idle