Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 03:01 AM
cboisits
2nd Gear Member

Default Is it worth it?

What's up guys? I installed a K & N CAIright afterI bought my 2006 Mustang GT. At that time I had no plans of getting a tuner because of the warranty issue. However, I heard it was a good modification so a year later I bought an SCT X-Cal (Brenspeed). Which brings me to my question. Now that I have a tuner, should I but a JLT, Granatelli, or a C & L? From what I've read, they are really good. But is it worth it to ditch the K & N and by one of the "big boys?"

Thanks for your consideration.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:27 AM
thefrantic1
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Is it worth it?

steeda claims to give to most power gain using their cai and high flow elbow along with the sct tune. their cai is so large you cant use it without a tune. they claim a total of 46hp gain with the 3. just dont let them talk you into one of their tunes. keep the brenspeed tune. good luck.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:49 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I believe the power gain by going from K&N CAI with Brenspeed tunes to one of the more popular CAI's (C&L, JLT, Steeda) with Brenspeed tunes would be minor at best and not worth the cost of a new CAI and new tunes. But that's just my 2 cents.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:14 AM
white07
4th Gear Member

Id say dont worry about it. a difference of 5hp wont do much anyways and you def. wont pick up 46 rwhp from a cai.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:23 AM
thefrantic1
1st Gear Member

steeda doesnt claim 46 rwhp. all the hp gains listed in these performance catalogs are engine hp gains. but compare 15hp that you get from a k&n and 46 from steeda or similarat about the same cost excluding the tune. thats 3 times the gains even when broke down into rwhp. i would say its worth it.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:35 PM
jlaurens06gt
2nd Gear Member

IMO not is it not worth it. If you have a CAI already I can't see buying another one. Use the one you have....and spend the$ you had allocated toanother CAI and get the Steeda UDPs.

You should have three tunes from Brenspeed. Get to know each one. They are different.

Now if you just have a K&N drop in air filter and not a CAI, then get a CAI.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:04 PM
scoots
2nd Gear Member

I had the K&N and a custom 93 dyno tune that got me 23 rwhp and 43 rwtq. I changed to the Steeda CAI w/ the high flow elbow and gained an additional 7 rwhp and 5 rwtq. Imo its not really worth it, but the shop that was doing the tuning for me bought the K&N back for about the price I bought it for since it was only on there my car a few weeks.

Scott
Old 05-15-2008, 08:27 PM
thefrantic1
1st Gear Member

getting to caught up into which cai would be best for you. yes i too would use my money to purchase some of the many other bolt on mods that are available like, steeda udp's , 62mm throttle body, charge motion plates,etc. there are plenty of mods out there. save the cai replacement for last.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:16 AM
cboisits
2nd Gear Member

Thanks a lot for your help guys. I think I'll putthe $ towards the pulleys and 3.90's. Unfortunately Ford chose to leave a nice gap from 3.73 to 4.10. Thanks FORD. Well, I can't diss them since I love my mustang to no end. But since my warranty ends after 3 years, and I have one year to go, what's the cons about going with MotoBlue's?
Old 05-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Proud Marine Parent

I just installed the Steeda CAI with the Brenspeed 92 Octane Tune on my Son's "06WARPONY" and the throttle response is alot better than stock, It also gets outta thehole alot better.I don't know what theHP claims are but if you go by the seat of the pants you can really tell the difference with this set up.Learnthe 3 tunes that come with the tune because there is deffinitly a difference in performance. Thought I Would Give You my Thoughts On The Steeda W/Brenspeed Tune. I would stick with the Brenspeed Tune from what I have experienced, They Have Awesome Service!!
Good Luck!!
Jeff T & LCpl Jay

Quick Reply: Is it worth it?