Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Tune problem or Injectors???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 06:34 PM
Martinshse

Default Tune problem or Injectors???

Im not sure what to do here... I dont know if I need a new tune altogether or if maybe I need the next step up from the 19# injectors. But I have the SCT Livewire tuner with Steeda's CAI and a Steeda tune for 87 and 93 oct tunes. I run the 87 because Im saving a little $$$.(06 Auto GT)In the low RPM range (1200-2000) it wants to sputter when Im at a constant pedal pressure, and if I accelerate to 3,000 RPMs fast then hold it, it bucks a tiny bit then takes off quick, even if I accel to 3,000 then keep it there. Im not sure if one minute its barely moving acceleratingto 3,000, and then I keep it there and it suddenly jolts forward is a good thing. What could be wrong? a/f not right? Why wouldnt it be if Steeda did the tunes that reflect my exact upgrades? My speedo is off by 3 mph too but Ford says it was stock when I bought it with 1,400 miles, even tires... Please help.

Black Auto 06 GT w/ Red Leather and Interior Upgrade Pack.
Steeda UDP's/Steeda CAI w/ Elbow/SCT Livewire/Roush Louvers/JBA Axle-backs(Not on yet)
Old 05-16-2008, 07:02 PM
mattsimonton
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Tune problem or Injectors???

I think it may be your tune, next tank of gas put 93 in and run the 93 tune and see if the problem stops.
When I had the steeda cai and tuner we had some problems but it was with the tuner itself.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:36 AM
thefrantic1
1st Gear Member

ahhh sounds fimiliar. i have been seeing alot of this. is your tune the canned tune or a custom tune from steeda. my car ran worse with the custom tune. sit down and think about when it acts up. usually when sitting at a lenghty stop light on warmer days. with the stock air box your only getting ouside air in through the fender. with the cai when your stopped your getting hot engine compartment air rolling over your cai sheild and into your intake. that hot air being less dense is causing your car to temporary run lean. on cool days it runs awesome.

not sure if it the design of steedas cai sheild, maybe not sheilding of the engine compartment enough or what. if you call steeda they act like your a idiot and that your car is the only one to do that. like mattsimonto says change to the 93 oct tune. that will help a little. mine still does it. i am gonna try and alter my sheild and maybe put a small fan wired to my others blowing directly to me cai filter.

whats has anyone else having this trouble done to resolve?
Old 05-17-2008, 02:19 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thefrantic1

ahhh sounds fimiliar. i have been seeing alot of this. is your tune the canned tune or a custom tune from steeda. my car ran worse with the custom tune. sit down and think about when it acts up. usually when sitting at a lenghty stop light on warmer days. with the stock air box your only getting ouside air in through the fender. with the cai when your stopped your getting hot engine compartment air rolling over your cai sheild and into your intake. that hot air being dense is causing your car to temporary run lean. on cool days it runs awesome.
S197 data logging tests have shown that when the engine is idling with the car at a standstill, the IAT(inlet air temperature) increases to a hotter temperature(and at a faster rate) with the stock air intake than withdifferent brands of CAI's(w/shields).

Also,the ECM utilizes the MAF(mass air flow)and IATsignals toadjust the fuel inputin order to maintain a 14.7 A/F ratio during periods of warmidle,which prevents the engine from running either lean or rich.

Fiinally, because hot air is less densethan cold air,the ECM inputs less fuel per unit time with hot intake air and more fuel per unit time with cold intake air, which results in lower and higher engine power output, respectively. That's the reason why engine performance improves on cold days as you had stated.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:32 PM
thefrantic1
1st Gear Member

all that makes perfect sense ski. i sat at the drive through at mcd's during lunch for more than 5 minutes and of course when i left the car has 50% less power until i get in the open air then stop again for maybe a short stop light. then take off with no problems. myself and martinshse amoungst others having this problem are trying to figure out if this is common with all cai's or just certain designs. come summer time and 95+ degrees i am leaving my car home. it wouldnt outrun a moped after a long stop light.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:16 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thefrantic1

myself and martinshse amoungst others having this problem are trying to figure out if this is common with all cai's or just certain designs.
Fully understood. I wish you and everyone else having this problem the best of luckresolving it.
FTR, the sole intent of my previous post was simply tocorrect some misleading info in your initial post.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:29 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Martinshse

Im not sure what to do here... I dont know if I need a new tune altogether or if maybe I need the next step up from the 19# injectors. But I have the SCT Livewire tuner with Steeda's CAI and a Steeda tune for 87 and 93 oct tunes. I run the 87 because Im saving a little $$$.(06 Auto GT)In the low RPM range (1200-2000) it wants to sputter when Im at a constant pedal pressure, and if I accelerate to 3,000 RPMs fast then hold it, it bucks a tiny bit then takes off quick, even if I accel to 3,000 then keep it there. Im not sure if one minute its barely moving acceleratingto 3,000, and then I keep it there and it suddenly jolts forward is a good thing. What could be wrong? a/f not right? Why wouldnt it be if Steeda did the tunes that reflect my exact upgrades? My speedo is off by 3 mph too but Ford says it was stock when I bought it with 1,400 miles, even tires... Please help.

Black Auto 06 GT w/ Red Leather and Interior Upgrade Pack.
Steeda UDP's/Steeda CAI w/ Elbow/SCT Livewire/Roush Louvers/JBA Axle-backs(Not on yet)
+1 to mattsimonton's suggestion.

However, if the problem also happens with the 93 tune, thenreflash the 87 tune.
If no luck, then make sure there are no vacuum leaks in the CAI's connections, and at the MAF sensor.
recalibrate the gas pedal and throttle plate:
- Shut the door after entering the car.
- Turn the ignition to the ON position(do not start the engine).
- Turn off all electrical accessories.
- After the chime stops, smoothly press the gas pedal to the floor while counting 1001, 1002, 1003.
- Release the gas pedal quickly whenit reaches the floor.
- Wait 6 seconds, and turn the key to the OFF position.
- Wait 6 seconds, and repeat the process 2 more times.
If that does not help, then clean the MAF sensor and throttle body.
If no luck, then reinstall the stock tune and stock air intake. If the problem still happens, then the TPS(throttle position sensor) may be defective.
If the problem goes away with the stock setup, then either the tune(s) or the tuner may be bad.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:53 PM
thefrantic1
1st Gear Member

the problem diffentially goes away with stock air box and tune. i am on my 2nd tuner. i checked and double checked fittings and hoses and did clean thethrottle body but not the maf. it was cool today. only in the low 70's and windy. the car did just fine. also i put some high heat molding around the cai box to help reduce the amount of hot engine compartment air coming in. had a acura nsx playing with me today. i had to spank him. thankfull for a cool day or i would have been spanked myself. thanks for all the info given. hopefully myself and the rest will get this problem resolved.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:40 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

You're welcome.
You may have already checked this, but make surethe MAF sensor'srubber gasket is installed. I've read thatitcan sometimes remainin thethe stock intake's MAF portwhen removingthe MAF sensorduringa CAI installation.
Totally agree that the engine in these cars really wakes up when theambient tempsare cool. However, even though it's a known fact thatit loses power in hot weather,it should nothave theproblems that Martinshse'sengine has.