Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

shift into reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 09:48 AM
thenewstevemcqueen

Default shift into reverse?

i have a question, i went WOT with my car (with only like 89 miles on it up to the redline) and i thought i shifted into reverse on accident. i know these newer cars have a detent on them that guards the driver from doing that. is it possible to get past the detent guard and throw it into reverse on accident though? (i was power shifting) i was just curious cause i have heard it can be catastrophic to the engine, driveline, and rear diff. i might have simply downshifted on my 3-4 (went into second instead) people have told me that it is impossible to shift into reverse but i could have swore the way my car reacted that i did. i chirped, had a large whining sound (could've been bouncing off the redline) and slowed down immediately. any suggestions as to what happened would make me feel a lot better on what i did to my brand spankin new 09 bullitt!!!!
Old 12-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Well does reverse still work? If it does I doubt you destroyed anything.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:58 AM
thenewstevemcqueen

Originally Posted by Riptide
Well does reverse still work? If it does I doubt you destroyed anything.
it does still work. everything runs great. i was just wondering if it was even possible
Old 12-07-2008, 11:34 AM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

i dont think its possible. if your car isnt tuned it went into its lke safety mode and brought the motor right down as you probably shifted into too low of a gear. Get a pro 50 shifter and NEVER miss a gear again
Old 12-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

And learn how to shift.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:51 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

yes that would help too but the oem shifter is good enough for the trash.. maybe a pry bar? or paperweight?
Old 12-07-2008, 02:20 PM
thenewstevemcqueen

Originally Posted by Simon1
And learn how to shift.
yeah man, its my first manual in a gas engine. i've driven sticks on tractors and heavy equipment before but this is a little different and im tryin to get used to it
Old 12-07-2008, 02:31 PM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

dont think you'd get into reverse- but pretty sure you could grind it bad enough to destroy the tranny...bet you hit second, severely overspeeding the clutch disk(redlining third would be right around 100~105 mph, hitting second at that speed would probably put the clutch disk at 9~10,000 rpm...

take a look here at what can happen with a clutch explosion:
http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/gar...5114-ouch.html

his was a clutch/pressure plate/flywheel, but still...even just a disk alone can tear up some stuff- up to and possibly blowing the whole assembly if parts start flying off balance at redline...luckily yours held together- if hitting second is what happened. only real worries would be redlining before adequate break-in, and the overspeeding of the tranny/pilot bearing that arent broke in yet either...different opinions on break in, but Ive always felt lots of rpm variation(not as important probably with roller cams, but still probably better for slinging oil everywhere), but not over 4000, and lots of short full throttle runs to get full cylinder pressure to help seat rings and such...mine had a couple hundred miles on it before redline, and about 1000 before hitting the dragstrip. I would highly recommend the royal purple synchromax oil in the tranny after breakin/before abusing too much- I burned my second synchro at the track powershifting, and it was really balky going into second even in daily driving, and was like hitting a stop if trying to get into second at over 4k...tried the royal purple, figured cant hurt it now, son of a gun if within a week second was almost back to good as new, and hitting at 5.5k no problem, and third is smooth as glass...highly recommend that oil, thinking it mighta prevented the damage to begin with had I had it in from the git-go. an aside- although barking third at the track feels great, best time I got by shifting at 4500-5k instead of 6...13.78 at 103 best to date, bone stock still
Old 12-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I think you'd know if anything happened at this point. I concur that it sounds like you hit 2nd by accident. If you're not hearing anythin unusual and she's running fine (like you stated) then no problem.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

you went to second IMO, the remote mounted shifter makes WOT shifts a bit dicey IMO/IME. I went 3-2 two or three times when I had the stock shifter. Get a Pro 5.0 or MGW and the CHE k-member brace and torque limiters and you'll never have the issue again

Quick Reply: shift into reverse?