Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Need help connecting the dots!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 02:46 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by WhichOnesTheGas
Jahudso and Gramp,

Thanks for the replies.

See i had heard that the UDP need to come off if a SC was going to be added. It came from a source that did not give me a good trustworthy vibe. Im glad you reconfirmed it. But i still wanted to put them on because while a SC is a goal, it is a longer term goal. I will get one in the furture but i figure to have the UDP on till i am ready to invest in the big boy. it will also help with the routine im starting of getting my girlfriend/furture wife into the habit of not asking questions about wheres the money going when it is in regards to my car!!!

Ja,
Would you recomend a CAI install as a good entry level mod for someone such as my self to install? How about an attempt at hanging exhaust?

Grampa,

You mentioned that you choose the highest octane in my area for the tune im choosing. Torque or Racing. Will a tuner allow me to choose the highest octane available to me? (that felt like a really stupid question when i typed it, but bear with me! lol). And when you say have a lower octane on hand you mean simply stored somewhere in the computer or handheld device correct?

If i where to go through with a full exhaust installation, would having cats be a logical choice if i dont want to worry about emissions testing? I ask in terms of, will it rob a great deal of performace?

I am having trouble understanding what different gear ratios purposes are. Is there someone who could REALLY break it down for me?

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the help!

With the stock Whipple setup you wont be able to use the UDP's.
But the whipple with the new belt drive system can and should have under drive pulleys !!!......not out until end of Jan or Feb but Steeda will be the maker of that sweet belt drive! Its being made at their new factory as well.

link
good read
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...e-whipple.html
Old 12-30-2008, 04:45 AM
chris09
2nd Gear Member

Dont wait to tune last. The axle back exhaust and under drive pullies do not require a tune. The cold air intake and tune should be done first if you can afford it. So get what you want in what ever order you want. Just remember to tune same time that you instale your intake. Oh and breenspeed has a splice in x-pipe that also does not require a tune. It does require some cutting of your factory pipes. but bolts on fine after you remove the factory h-pipe. it allows you to keep your cats and still pass emissions. about $100 right now on sale.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:33 AM
WhichOnesTheGas

Hey thanks Mygt and Chris!!!

Chris, If i do mid pipe and cats does that require a tune?
Old 12-30-2008, 08:05 AM
kda1967
1st Gear Member

Tune rocks - do it first
Old 12-30-2008, 08:35 AM
chris09
2nd Gear Member

As far as i know, messing with cats are a no-no. The s197 exhaust is very good from the factory. Unless your making over 500hp theres not much you need to change. Leave the cats alone. H or X-pipe for a small boost in power(maby 5-10) but mostly sound. The H-pipe for a little more low end grunt, or the X-pipe for more top end pull. Both make much deeper and louder sound.

If all you plan to do right now is a intake, tune, exhaust, pullies just get the tune for the intake with the 3 octane tunes pre programed from one of the two popular choices. Then (or before) install your pullies and exhaust. Enjoy your car.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:04 PM
WhichOnesTheGas

Chris,

So what ive learned here is that messing with headers does not really add much to performance. And that regardless if i run cats or no cats. A mid pipe with a catback system does not need a tune.

But for most bang for the buck a CAI with a tune is my best bet. Then everything else can follow and just have my tunes adjusted.

Does that sound alittle more well ordered?

(do headers add a great deal to the sound of a vehicle?)
Old 12-30-2008, 05:09 PM
chris09
2nd Gear Member

Headers do add sound. They cost a good amount and cost more to install. look to pick up about 10-15hp. like i said exhaust and or pullies dont require a tune. but if you remove the cats you need to let the tuner know becaue you'll throw a check engine light from your o2 sensors. just need to tune for intake or nitros and superchargers and turbos. most basic bolt ons your computer will self adjust to. hope thris helps