Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

thumper cams

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 10:57 PM
myskunk
1st Gear Member

Default thumper cams

has anybody installed these , heard it hurts the bottom end but sounds good . if ur not worried about performance .
Old 01-16-2009, 11:31 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I've seen dyno charts with them. They do sound amazing. Very similar to the FRPP Hot Rods. It's hard to tell the two apart from sound.

Performance wise, they do make more peak HP than the FRPP Hot Rods, but under 4K they lose power. I forget the exact amount but it's not a huge amount but you'll most likely feel it. The Hot Rods on the other hand from 2K on up gain power consistently. Under 2K the power stays the same as stock.

So if you're going to be racing a lot, the Comp Cams would be better since they make a little more up top (only like 10 over the hot rods at the most if I remember corectly). But for a street machine, the FRPP Hot Rods would be the better choice. Plus the FRPP Hot Rods do not require a cam phaser limiter to be installed. They are 100% compatible with the stock valve-train.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:17 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

These guys sound amazing, but for the money might as well upgrade to comp stage 3's. If you're not concerned about sound but rather performance, go for the comp
Old 01-17-2009, 11:52 PM
abarker8541
3rd Gear Member

the stage 3s require ported heads. if you want to go with cams get stage 2 spr. there are some real nice gains with those bad boys on an n/a motor.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:58 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

And from what I've seen, when you replace the springs in getting a comp stage 2, you don't lose any low end power. I don't understand that at all. Just going by the dyno sheets I've seen.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:05 PM
turbotbirdguy79
1st Gear Member

Its odd how the frpp cams dont lose as much lower end as the comps.Im wondering if it has to do with the limiters comp recommends.I would like to see some frpp with limiters or comps without,I bet either will lose bottom end due to the cams not being able to advance as much.Im doing comps soon and will use limiters.Ive already seen a piston kiss a valve on a mustang at work with frpp cams with no limiters because the phaser crapped out.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:41 PM
abarker8541
3rd Gear Member

i wouldnt run either cam without a phaser from that manufacturer. they might say its not needed but i would still be safe and use them anyways.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:04 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by turbotbirdguy79
Its odd how the frpp cams dont lose as much lower end as the comps.Im wondering if it has to do with the limiters comp recommends.I would like to see some frpp with limiters or comps without,I bet either will lose bottom end due to the cams not being able to advance as much.Im doing comps soon and will use limiters.Ive already seen a piston kiss a valve on a mustang at work with frpp cams with no limiters because the phaser crapped out.

There have been people on here with frpp hot rods with phaser problems and they didn't blow their engine. So I'm 100% convinced what caused the problem you talk about was something else. Most likely the tuner was doing something stupid with the VCT. That was the case a while back with someone blowing their engine with a set of cams by comp. Comp Cams for for liability reasons says you should use limiters but the problem was in the tune.

The Ford engineers who designed this cam made the stock cam so they know this mod engine better than anyone. If they say it's engineered to not need any valve-train mods to support this cam, then having limiters is just a waste of time and money. You can believe them. Ford can not help it though if some tuner that doesn't completely know what they're doing goes in and messes with the VCT and screws everything up.

I emailed Doug from Bamachips about this issue and he says the reason they're not required has to due with the lift. Since the FRPP does not have a very high lift (only 1mm over stock) there's no way they can cause problems unless of course the tuner screws with the VCT. The only time limiters really make sense is high lift and high duration.

Oh and another thing. Ford Racing sells a 4.6L crate motor (the same in the GT) WITH the hot rods installed and this engine uses the stock valve-train. No limiters, lock outs or what-have-you. If it really were risky to use hot rods with no limiters, then I don't think FRPP would be selling a crate engine with them.

Last edited by SirKnightTG; 01-19-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:51 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Something else I thought of that could be a reason for phaser failure. The use of aftermarket springs with frpp hot rods will cause phaser failure. FRPP has said this and I've read it elsewhere as well. The VCT does not like stiffer springs.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:38 AM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Here is the dyno sheet for my Thumprs. The perfomance hit is at the high end.

Also the link to the sound clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S7GfbipgsY
Attached Thumbnails thumper cams-comp-cams003_s.jpg  

Quick Reply: thumper cams