Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

pulling the trigger today,vortech or paxton?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 01:05 PM
hirevn
1st Gear Member

Default pulling the trigger today,vortech or paxton?

I will be ordering my sc from brenspeed today and have narrowed it to either the polished vortech HO or paxton HO. I might have to make it a coin toss, they both are great systems from the research ive done and the paxton will run about 270.00 less than the vortech wich should cover shipping (Im in alaska). Also the paxton is good for more hp if i ever decide to build a forged shortblock than the vortech (vortech max 550-600,paxton at appox 750hp) from what there telling me, but no plans as of now for ever needing/wanting to go big.
decesions,decesions.
guys,feel free to give an opnion.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:00 PM
bigray327
2nd Gear Member

What kind of aftercooler do you want to run, air/air or air/water? If air/air, get the Paxton. If air/water, go Vortech. Otherwise, they're very similar, since they're both the same company now.

I have a Vortech head unit and a Paxton aftercooler. That works, too.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:28 PM
hirevn
1st Gear Member

I went for the paxton with the air/air cooler, I guess it just boiled down to saving close to 300.00 for the same polished set up. also knowing if i want to forge the short block down the road it will make some big numbers if i choose to go that route. Anyway,pretty stoked i finally got a sc and look forward to the install.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:36 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

congrats hirevn, now the adventure
begins
Old 01-29-2009, 07:45 PM
hirevn
1st Gear Member

Thanks, it will be the 3rd week of febuary before i can do the install and probably end of april before it comes out of the garage. I will have plenty of time to stew LOL. In the meantime i need to install some gauges, maybe some shorties, and do something with the cam covers.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:11 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Polished FTW.........
Old 01-29-2009, 08:20 PM
hirevn
1st Gear Member

Yep, I had to go polished!!! Now do I chrome the cam covers, powder coat or ceramic coat and polish? That blower looks to good in there to leave those ugly ole things alone.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:14 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

FYI - guys the polished seem to hold more heat from what my bud who had the polished vs. my satin finish
Old 01-30-2009, 02:51 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by Stkjock
FYI - guys the polished seem to hold more heat from what my bud who had the polished vs. my satin finish
I was told the same thing with my polished Whipple......oh well

OP congrats and welcome to the boosted club!
Old 01-30-2009, 10:08 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hirevn
I went for the paxton with the air/air cooler, I guess it just boiled down to saving close to 300.00 for the same polished set up. also knowing if i want to forge the short block down the road it will make some big numbers if i choose to go that route. Anyway,pretty stoked i finally got a sc and look forward to the install.
Congrats!! I personally think you went the right way with the air/air cooler. Had I gone with an HO centri, it would have been the Paxton for sure. Keep us posted!

Quick Reply: pulling the trigger today,vortech or paxton?