Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Need help with startup problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 07:57 AM
jwharton
2nd Gear Member

Default Need help with startup problem

I have a problem with startup since I put my Saleen Supershaker on. At first it was hardly noticeable but has progressively got worse to the point it is unbarable. When I start the car and it is worse at cold startup but still does it warm, it stumbles and does not want to idle. If you try to give it the gas it just flutters and acts like it is starving for fuel or flooding. I'm thinking that it is lean as the A/F gauge reads a solid 16. The fuel pressure is good as well If I play with the throttle I can get it to finally clean up and then it runs great, again no big plume of unspent gas so it seems as though it is lean. Brenspeed told me they thought I had fouled the plugs by flooding it. I spent $100.00 for new plugs (had Brisk and now HT0's) and got the same thing Brenspeed wants me to data-log and let them look at it, I don't have a laptop so I will pay someone to data-log it for me if I can't get it solved. My mods are in my signature plus I have a JLT catch can....any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim
Old 10-24-2011, 09:34 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

in your shoes i might look for a vacuum leak.

it seems to fit what you are describing and i have to assume
you've already done the basics which would be cleaning the MAF
and throttle body.

a fuel injector O-ring issue, would also be on my list of possibilities, but near the bottom.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:48 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Do you have a oil seperator on the driver side of the car. If you then u will get alot of blowby on the passenger side. Put another oil seperator on or a K&N breather to stop the oil totally and that may help you. Im experiencing the same thing and im hoping that this my fix. I to replaced plugs. Checked and cleaned everything and changed my fuel filter. Im hoping that this the culprit. Im getting the stage 3 installed in november and im gonna have them run through everything to see if they can find anything wrong. If i find out anything i'll let you know
Old 10-24-2011, 09:50 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

if you know someone with a laptop just borrow theres. u can uninstall the program and its very easy to datalog. Just look it up on youtube and there videos that describe everything to a T
Old 10-24-2011, 10:32 AM
jwharton
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys!
Hammer...yea I even sprayed MAF cleaner around to try to find any vac leaks. I am going to tear it down and see if there is any oil behind the throttle body.

outceltj....I have only the oil seperator on the drivers side. Let me know if it helps you.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:59 AM
jwharton
2nd Gear Member

Quick question guys...how much vacumm should i have at idle with the cams and shaker? I am at about 12-13 inches...seems low and would indicate a vacumm leam but not sure with the cams. Also if it were vac leak or something dirty and oily...wouldn't it do it all the time? I only have problems at startup, after I get it to cleanup it does great at stoplights etc.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:30 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i see -15 with the hot rods so i think your readings are in the ballpark and
are probably ok. i like that you are brenspeed tuned because we can rule
out the tune as far as i'm concerned.

if you rule out a vacuum leak, then i think next on my list, would be something
throttle body related.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:41 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwharton
Thanks guys!
Hammer...yea I even sprayed MAF cleaner around to try to find any vac leaks. I am going to tear it down and see if there is any oil behind the throttle body.

outceltj....I have only the oil seperator on the drivers side. Let me know if it helps you.
I will for sure pass it on when I get my car back. The last time I cleaned the TB i noticed oil building up in the intake tube where the ripples are. It was settling inbetween them. I was kind of shocked by how much there was.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:43 PM
jwharton
2nd Gear Member

Well if what I just found is the culprit...hammeron called it. I tore it down to a suspected area. The snorkel that the throttle body bolts to to turn the air from the shaker scoop into the SC has a stupid o-ring that just did not fit the groove right when I was installing the kit. It is about .035" diameter o-ring with about a 14" circumference and it is tooooooo big to fit. Normally an o-ring has just a tiny bit of arubberband effect when fit in the groove or at least snug. This one has excess you are trying to bunch into the slot....it's a b***h. I found it had protruded out and got pinched in an area and it could be sucking air there. I will call Brenspeed tomorrow and get a couple replacements on the way....I hope they fit better or I may be going the silicone route I will report back when I get it put back together.

outceltj- I had no oil in the elbow and that is where the PCV hose hooks to and the throttle body was still pristine as well.

Thanks for your help guys!!!!
Jim
Old 10-24-2011, 08:03 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

it sure would be nice if that turns out to be it, we'll keep
our fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: Need help with startup problem