Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

PA alternators

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 01:57 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default PA alternators

Anyone running one of these??

http://www.americanmuscle.com/130amp...or-0509gt.html

I have been reading online and pretty sure I have a bad alternator ( despite Ford telling me it's fine ) so I am just gonna replace it with one of these.

I keep getting the danged check charging system code on the tach everytime I connect my SCTx3 tuner...
Old 03-24-2009, 02:55 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

As long as the check charging code goes away, it's normal to get that code when you connect your tuner. There's a few other codes that pop up also, but I can't recall what they are. But they're temporary. Ignore them unless they're still there after you disconnect the tuner.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:59 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

FYI - I know 2 people who have used the PA alternator and it took a dump within a month and both of them went back to new stock alternators...

My stock alternator took a dump at about 20K miles and then I replaced it with another stocker and ran fine. (with 700 to the tires BTW)

I am about to make over a 1000 to the wheels on the stock alternator.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:04 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

dang it.. if it's not the alternator that's making my car die every few weeks or so what else could it be??

)-:

My only guess is that somehow I am trigger the engine relay disable feature on my alarm system and it disables the car from being started.. that's about it.

ps.
1000 hp? DAMN! lol..
Old 03-24-2009, 03:06 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

I'm not saying your alternator isn't bad. Hell, mine went out and I know a dozen guys who have had to replace there's. I'm just saying the stocker seems to be a better and more reliable unit than the PA's IMO.

What makes you sure you have a bad alternator?
Old 03-24-2009, 03:11 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
dang it.. if it's not the alternator that's making my car die every few weeks or so what else could it be??

)-:

My only guess is that somehow I am trigger the engine relay disable feature on my alarm system and it disables the car from being started.. that's about it.

ps.
1000 hp? DAMN! lol..
You've ruled out the battery, right? If the alt is bad, there will be codes sure as shXt...
Old 03-24-2009, 03:21 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by modaddict
I'm not saying your alternator isn't bad. Hell, mine went out and I know a dozen guys who have had to replace there's. I'm just saying the stocker seems to be a better and more reliable unit than the PA's IMO.

What makes you sure you have a bad alternator?
I checked up online with people with the same codes and they said it was more likely then not, the alternator. The code only comes up during the SCTx3 tune load, other then that it's blank. Other then that, I have no real reason to suspect the alternator.. it's been tested 2x and it was fine. Tested on the car. Everything checked out A-OK.

I may try out Bama tunes Race tune and see if that changes anything..

(O_o)

new battery as well.. replaced it last week.. before the car died again a few days ago.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:44 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Try disconnecting your battery for 20 minutes and then reloading your tune.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:54 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I'll try it when I am putting some exterior mods back on my car this week ( louvers, bullitt grill etc. )

I really hope whatever it is that's plaguing it either surfaces and it's an easy fix or it goes away.

(O.O) ??
Old 03-24-2009, 03:58 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

ps
generally speaking, if the dealership tests out the alternator and it's fine- there should be no reason to still suspect that it's faulty, correct??

Quick Reply: PA alternators