Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

reset computer today and...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 08:52 PM
rly_stupid
1st Gear Member

Default reset computer today and...

first time doing this and holy crap it feels like a different car! i did this to see if my shifting would get smoother and lately i've had problems getting my car going without hopping the car(by that i mean literally hopping it with the gas pedel). i don't have that problem anymore and my shifts are still kinda hard. one thing i noticed though is while i'm idling in gear or out of gear my rpms will dip just a bit, enough to hear and feel a difference then come right back up to around 750ish(normal for mine). is this something to expect? is it the computer i guess 'relearning'. oh and would i have to reinstall my tune now? thanks yall
Old 04-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Steves07GTCS
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rly_stupid
one thing i noticed though is while i'm idling in gear or out of gear my rpms will dip just a bit, enough to hear and feel a difference then come right back up to around 750ish(normal for mine). is this something to expect? is it the computer i guess 'relearning'. oh and would i have to reinstall my tune now? thanks yall
I've been driving with my Bullitt CAI and Brenspeed 91 tune and noticed the same thing. RPM even dipped so low that it's stalled twice now- is this normal, can I expect it to stop happening pretty soon? The intake/tune combo is awesome, my car has an entirely new attitude, the only thing that has me slightly concerned is the possibility of stalling while braking (not good).

Steve
Old 04-29-2009, 09:34 PM
rly_stupid
1st Gear Member

when i first installed my tune i never noticed this issue. these mustang computers are adaptive so it may change i'm not sure. right now i'm using the 89 oct tune from brenspeed. hopefully someone can reply with an answer to both questions
Old 04-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

When I reset the adaptive learning, I expect the RPM's to be a bit unstable at first but it doesn't always happen. When it does, it doesn't persist much beyond maybe 100 miles of driving.

If you're having chronic RPM issues, I'd contact your tuner.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:20 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

There's a procedure in the battery replacement section of the owner's manual that should facilitate the ECU's idle strategy re-learning process.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:20 PM
06GTMustang
1st Gear Member

I was having a problem like some of you. After my CAI and tune were in stalled I had lot of problems with my car eating gas, acting up while driving, starting, when it did start some times it would idle real hard. It felt like the engine was flopping around in the engine bay. after 4 times of taking it to the custom shop that did the work it went a way for the most part. I still had problems with it but I thought it was normal after the tune and CAI were put in. I went to the ford dealership near my house and talked to one of their performance guys. He did some searching on his computer and found where our cars 05-07 had reported build up in the throttle body. So I bought some carb cleaner, took off my CAI at the throttle body, spread some cleaner in to it and cleaned out really well. Put it all back together and started it and HOLY............ CRAP I could not believe the result and it was really easy. So yall may want to put off your CAI and see what it looks like in there. Hope it helps.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Steves07GTCS
1st Gear Member

Hey just wanted to give an update, I said about a week ago that my car was acting up a little after installing the CAI and tune. I put a good number of miles on the car this weekend and the problem I was having with RPM dipping while braking has gone away. It does feel like the car lost some of the responsiveness I'd gained after loading the tune, but it's still significantly better than stock. All in all, the net gain was more than worth it, the car is noticeably faster, more aggressive, and a week later behaves itself perfectly.

Steve
Old 05-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Ato
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rly_stupid
first time doing this and holy crap it feels like a different car! i did this to see if my shifting would get smoother and lately i've had problems getting my car going without hopping the car(by that i mean literally hopping it with the gas pedel). i don't have that problem anymore and my shifts are still kinda hard. one thing i noticed though is while i'm idling in gear or out of gear my rpms will dip just a bit, enough to hear and feel a difference then come right back up to around 750ish(normal for mine). is this something to expect? is it the computer i guess 'relearning'. oh and would i have to reinstall my tune now? thanks yall
Did you reload your tune or unhook your battery or both?
Old 05-05-2009, 08:14 PM
rly_stupid
1st Gear Member

unhooked the battery
Old 05-06-2009, 10:14 AM
bynumj
1st Gear Member

Default Different behavior after tune…

My car really starting acting up after I loaded the new tune on it. It took on a completely new personality; it is unpredictable. The other night at about 10 pm, I was in bed and I heard my car start. I looked out the window and that bastard took off looking for a good time on its own. I ran out and tried to stop it, to no avail. The Stang rolled in at about 3am smelling of burnt tires and race fuel. I’m not sure what I am going to do with this car now. I need to contact my tuner to find out if I can tame this beast.

Quick Reply: reset computer today and...