Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Overdrive Button

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Beach Girl

Question Overdrive Button

I just bought an 05 Mustang, V8, Automatic. I don't understand the instruction manual explaining the use of the overdrive button. I can turn it on or off but I don't know what is appropriate. I drive to work about 6 miles on I-95. I'm getting ready to take a trip from FL to GA mostly on the FL Turnpike and I-75. Can somebody please explain this to me - not too technical please. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:39 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I usually keep it turned off when I'm 60 mph or below so that way the highest gear I get into is 4th. This gives me more power to accelerate if I need to. Also when I put the pedal to the floor it'll go into the lower gear I need quicker since it doesn't have to first drop into 4th, then to 3rd etc; One less gear change.

When it's in O/D ("5th" gear) then there's hardly any acceleration power at all. It's meant for when you're on the highway cruising so your RPMs are not too high. So having it on will give you better MPG, having it off will give you better performance.

You can also use it to help you slow down by turning it off to provide a little engine braking. I do that all the time.

The best thing is to just experiment with it and see how the car behaves with in off vs on in various conditions.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:26 PM
darwin06

I only turn it off for racing, I have yet a need to turn it off but to get a sportier feel like in a winding country road. Highway is where it does the most good with cruise control. Congratulations on your choice of car, and welcome to MF!
Old 06-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

for interstate travel leave overdrive on.. you'll want all gears.. its pretty rare there is any reason to turn off the overdrive.. you can turn it off if you are on roads with a lot of turns and you are driving quickly.. even if you are racing, if its from a stop then leaving o/d on wont hurt your performance, it wont shift to 5th until 4th gear runs out.. from a roll you might want to..
Old 06-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

There's no reason to turn off overdrive on these cars unless you're towing (which you shouldn't be) or on an extreme incline.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:38 AM
Beach Girl

Thanks for your answer. Overdrive is on and I'm leaving soon. My first real 'road trip' with my new car. I'm so excited.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:10 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Lets us know how it went...your trip...
Old 06-05-2009, 03:40 PM
mustangtestuser
2nd Gear Member

It very much depends on the terrain in which you drive. If you live in a flat state, then you may not need it very often, if at all. If you encounter a lot of hills, then you might use it a lot. In my area, for example, it's not uncommon for major highways to have steep grades and hills. I have to use mine all the time!

Example. At highway speeds the car wants to shift into 5th to save fuel. Now, imagine the speed limit is 60 mph and you're traveling up a steep hill or mountain. The car will stay in 5th and fall flat as it climbs. The solution is to either floor it to kick the transmission down or simply hit the button and take it out of overdrive.

If you're in a hilly area the car might also shift between 4th and 5th as you climb up and down hills. You can switch the overdrive off to save a little wear and tear on the transmission.

Last edited by mustangtestuser; 06-05-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by nineinchnail1024
There's no reason to turn off overdrive on these cars unless you're towing (which you shouldn't be) or on an extreme incline.
I can think of one "safety" reason to leave it turned off. Passing.

Sucks to have the car be two gears higher than where it needs to be. If the guy you are trying to pass is a real a-wad by the time your car drops teh two gears it needs to pass, they will have blocked you in.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:14 PM
RedStang06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG

You can also use it to help you slow down by turning it off to provide a little engine braking. I do that all the time.
Same here.

Quick Reply: Overdrive Button