Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Whine

Old 08-10-2009, 05:33 PM
scoots
2nd Gear Member

Default Whine

I have a 2005 GT with 94,000 miles on it. The car has developed a whining sound, and I am having a tough time nailing down where it is coming from. You can hear it when giving light throttle, but as soon as you let off it stops completely. Also it gets louder as speed increases from unable to hear at 25 mph to very noticeable at 75 mph. To me it does not seem like gear whine, but I could be wrong. Could it be a wheel bearing or drive shaft related? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 08-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

First guess of course is gear whine, but you say it doesn't sound like that. Its not low on power steering fluid is it?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:48 PM
scoots
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
First guess of course is gear whine, but you say it doesn't sound like that. Its not low on power steering fluid is it?
No power steering fluid is good. You can really notice at very light throttle. For example driving on the highway with the cruise control on.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

Alternator bearing can whine when it starts going bad.

Can you tell approximately where the noise is coming from?
Old 08-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

It still sounds like gear whine to me. If you can make it sing by applying throttle, and make it stop by letting off, that's definitely what it sounds like.

If it doesn't make any whining noises while you rev it sitting still, that eliminates anything under the hood. That leaves the transmission or rear end. It could very easily be a bearing or just about anything, man. You're just going to have to keep narrowing it down until you get it figured out.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:52 PM
brunobluto
2nd Gear Member

The rear axle could be low of oil. That would cause it to whine.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:00 PM
scoots
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
It still sounds like gear whine to me. If you can make it sing by applying throttle, and make it stop by letting off, that's definitely what it sounds like.

If it doesn't make any whining noises while you rev it sitting still, that eliminates anything under the hood. That leaves the transmission or rear end. It could very easily be a bearing or just about anything, man. You're just going to have to keep narrowing it down until you get it figured out.
I took another listen and it definitely sounds like it is coming from the rear end. I had some gear whine while still under warrenty sounded different that this. I t could be heard on accel and deccel in a 35 to 50 mph range.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:01 PM
scoots
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by brunobluto
The rear axle could be low of oil. That would cause it to whine.
Are you talking about the diff?
Old 08-12-2009, 02:09 PM
brunobluto
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scoots
Are you talking about the diff?
Yes. Might be worth checking especially if you have noticed oily residue on your back wheels or pinion seal and flange.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:28 AM
bynumj
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by scoots
I took another listen and it definitely sounds like it is coming from the rear end...
Your wife isn't in the back seat is she?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whine