Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

shorty headers..

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 03:11 PM
MustangRacing4.6ltr
Kenmore Fan

Default shorty headers..

looking to buy some shorty headers , dont really care about the coating , just how well they flow. any reccomendations would help! also, after headers and hi flow cats do i need to call brenspeed for another tune?
Old 09-03-2009, 03:27 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

I am looking into getting the mac shortys to go along with the pypes off road H . . . will this combo work ?

http://www.brenspeed.com/21705.html
Old 09-03-2009, 03:48 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Shorties dont really give any gains but they look nice. You definately dont need to tune for them at all.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Casey4s
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't bother with shorties. I put FRPP shorties on my car 4 years ago and they are very little if any gain in performance. It is essentially the same amount of labor to do the long tubes. I will probably replace mine sometime in the near future. But if you do decide to go the shorty route make sure thya are equal length headers. I am not sure who beside BBK make equal length shorties.

Good luck to ya...
Old 09-03-2009, 04:23 PM
MustangRacing4.6ltr
Kenmore Fan

thanks for the responses and shortys only give little gain ? so longtubes are they way to go with gt's eh?i guess ill wait for more opinions but if this is true i will need to change my exhuast setup i was just about to order...lol ...on the same note ,are we only looking at 10-15 rwhp with LT headers , hi flo cats and x pipe? last questions with LT's , how will these perform with the procharger?
Old 09-03-2009, 05:08 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

People that say shorty headers give little to no gains are being slightly misleading IMO. It is true that the PEAK gains from shorty headers are minimal, however, typically shorties offer better LOW TO MID range torque gains than long tubes. So, it comes down to how you drive your car and where do you really want to feel that extra power. At the track, long tubes are the hands down win. For a daily driver that rarely sees the top of RPM range, I think shorties are a better choice.

FWIW, I don't know where you are in CO, but long tubes will not pass emissions if you live on the Front Range. I think JBA shorties are the only 50 state legal headers. Something to think about.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:35 PM
MustangRacing4.6ltr
Kenmore Fan

ya im in adams county ,and thats why i have to go with damn catted exhaust because of colorado emissions so i probably should stick to shortys then - the car is my weekend driver but it does see the top top of the rpm range alot on the streets against those peski ls1's lol
Old 09-03-2009, 05:53 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangRacing4.6ltr
ya im in adams county ,and thats why i have to go with damn catted exhaust because of colorado emissions so i probably should stick to shortys then - the car is my weekend driver but it does see the top top of the rpm range alot on the streets against those peski ls1's lol
Keep in mind, it doesn't matter if you buy headers with or without cats. Rememoving the [functional] OEM cats is illegal and = failed emissions. Thank the Feds, not the State for that one.

I'm a couple years away from needing an emissions test to register my Mustang, but I'm curious if you can get around the issue of catalytic converters by using the drive-by stations as long as your car is tuned well enough to pass the sniffer. Those mobile emissions vans they put on the freeway on-ramps certainly don't have a visual inspection. I just haven't read or heard of anyone whose done it that way.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:55 AM
MustangRacing4.6ltr
Kenmore Fan

ya i do know that about removing cats law , but i did it on my 04 dodge ram where i actually didnt have the cats at all and went and tested and they failed me for not having cats lol so i put em back on and it passed no problem....as far as the sniffers on the highway , i usually let off the gas when i pass them so im not sure if that works or not lol
Old 09-04-2009, 10:28 AM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

will longtubes fit with the Pypes off road H from brenspeed

Quick Reply: shorty headers..