Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Super Charger Question and exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

Default Super Charger Question and exhaust

I was thinking at some point of getting a super charger for my mustang, most likely the roush. I like the roush unit for many reasons, my dealership offers an engine warranty for life of the car as long as I get all services done there, oil changes and basic services are free. I was talking to a guy that has a turbo kit on his mustang and he said he went with the turbo over the super charger was heat issues. He said on long trips the super charger would over heat. I want my car to be reliable when I take it for road trips. Should I worry about this? Also I am looking for an exhaust and I have heard bad things about Roush when talking about major drone issues, does FRPP exhaust also have this problem?
Old 11-29-2009, 01:37 AM
skyboss_4evr
1st Gear Member

I have the Roush supercharger in my 2010 GT. This car has made two 550 mile roadtrips back and forth between Iowa and Ohio with no overheating whatsoever. Roush made the intercooler on the 2010 supercharger larger than in previous years, so I certainly wouldn't worry about overheating.

As for the "bad things" about the Roush exhaust... while there is some drone at around 2,000 RPM, I personally don't find it even remotely annoying. You're probably going to get some drone out of any aftermarket exhaust.
I highly recommend the Roush exhaust!

Last edited by skyboss_4evr; 11-29-2009 at 01:43 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

I have the Roush Exhaust and love it. Yes it has drone at 2,000rpm, but I wouldn't call it major and i consider it minor compared to the Flowmasters I had on my 1992 Mustang.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:08 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

I have the FRPP GTAs. Not as loud as some but do get compliments from people outside when on it. Absolutely no drone inside.

Cheers.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:11 PM
distantsoldier
2nd Gear Member

First off, turbos create more heat than supercharger. Typically you have to tap into your oil pan in order to install a turbo...superchargers have internal lubrication (I only know of one turbo that does). And additionally, 03-04 cobras, lightnings, and GT500s all come supercharged...as well as the fact that Ford will give you a warranty on the NUMEROUS superchargers they offer. They wouldnt' do that if they weren't reliable... Obviously my car came supercharged...but I picked it up 1400 miles from where I live and drove it in 2 days....no problems what so ever!
Old 11-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

My other question is yes it will take time to get this supercharger for me. I think I will get it sooner than later now that the 5.0 looks like it will be a fact. I was thinking for bolt ons to keep my warranty. Get roush exhaust, roush under drive pulley, and roush intake. I can keep the exhaust once I get the super charger and the other two are cheaper modifications. Will I see decent power increase out of this? 10-20hp?
Old 12-01-2009, 10:50 AM
distantsoldier
2nd Gear Member

you could see bigger than 10-20...but you'll definately need a tuner (~$350). Underdrive pullies usually free up about 10...Intake is usually good for 10-12....a tune would get you maybe as high as 20 by itself... The exhaust though isn't going to help unless you do the whole thing though, which gets rather expensive. But it isn't unheard of for guys to get a little over 300 RWHP (from about 260) with bolt ons.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:11 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

I have boomtubes on mine and I love them! I do not have much drone at all inside the cab! But I have heard Mixed reviews on the Roush I personally like the sound of the roush outside of the car never heard them on the highway inside the car!
Old 12-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

Well one thing I saw about the roush intake and all the other mod's I listed is there is no need for a tuner. Even if I were to get a tuner what dealer would custom tune a car with a roush intake, roush underdrive pulleys, and exhaust? Would roush?
Old 12-02-2009, 12:53 PM
distantsoldier
2nd Gear Member

i had a roush intake on an 07 GT that I had...and you can either tune it, or not tune it. If you don't tune it, you leave an additional sleave inside the intake that restricts how much airflow can pass through. Essentially, you're increasing the airflow from stock, but not much...not enough to overdo the sensor. Additionally, this effectively restricts much of the HP gains you recieve as well. I definately did not see 10rwhp with the non-tuned version...which for me wasn't worth the $250 I paid for it. You'll recieve more hp from tuning it than not tuning it.

The underdrive pullies do not need tuning as the actually free up hp that was being robbed by the engine. And you don't need a tune if you are only getting a cat-back exhaust. Roush does do some tunes for various engine parts that you order. I made arrangements with my dealership, and I get Jon Lund to tune my car. The dealership owner, service manager, and I sat down and discussed my warranty. They researched Jon Lund's qualifications...and after seeing that he is one of the premier tuners available, they agreed to let me have custom tunes made by him for my car without voiding my warranty. Everything in my sig has been installed at the dealership and tuned by Lund and still under warranty.

Quick Reply: Super Charger Question and exhaust