Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

BBK throttle body voltage help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 08:40 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by modaddict
Easy tech for you...

step 1: Remove the BBK throttle body

step 2: Find the nearest trash container

step 3: place the BBK throttle body in that trash container

step 4: realize lesson learned that a TB is a waste of money for your car
AMEN BROTHER!
Old 03-25-2010, 09:48 PM
raredesign
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by modaddict
Easy tech for you...

step 1: Remove the BBK throttle body

step 2: Find the nearest trash container

step 3: place the BBK throttle body in that trash container

step 4: realize lesson learned that a TB is a waste of money for your car
Have you tried one or are you going by hear-say?
Based on what I have read, and my experience with it, I would venture to say that most of the people who have had problems with it or did not like it, did not correctly set the TPS voltage sensor since there is so much variance between our cars.
The guy i bought it from was like 1.25 volts, and mine is 1.15~1.16.
It has to be very close if not exact.

Mind you, I am early in the game with this TB and I hope I do not eat my words, but from what I can tell, there is really no reason for it to fail.
Stock motor mount and cap and stock TPS. the metal housing and gears are different....
doesn't seem like it should be bad unless it was installed wrong.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:31 AM
Fresh_GT
2nd Gear Member

Yes, throttle bodys have been known to fail in the past (like so many other mods). And Yes, there are other cheaper and easier places to get the power. Once properly calibrated, many people have used, and are still using them with no problems whatsoever (me included). The BBK TB is defiantly one of the better ones out there, second only to the GT500 TB. I sat keep it, and be happy. If it ever give you problems just swap it for a GT500 model.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:05 AM
raredesign
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fresh_GT
Yes, throttle bodys have been known to fail in the past (like so many other mods). And Yes, there are other cheaper and easier places to get the power. Once properly calibrated, many people have used, and are still using them with no problems whatsoever (me included). The BBK TB is defiantly one of the better ones out there, second only to the GT500 TB. I sat keep it, and be happy. If it ever give you problems just swap it for a GT500 model.
I see you are running a BBK TB. Since you understand how the install went, after setting the sprint to a 180 degree counter-clockwise turn that locks in place, and the voltage down to the hundreth of a volt, what is it that you would anticipate going wrong?

If there is a serious chance of something failing, I will remove it, but I am just not grasping it yet. I look at it the same as sticking on a new CAI that uses the same MAF sensor. If someone told me it could fail, I would just raise an eyebrow. I don't see the difference, as the important parts were carried over from the existing TB.

Last edited by raredesign; 03-26-2010 at 07:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-26-2010, 08:58 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by raredesign
I see you are running a BBK TB. Since you understand how the install went, after setting the sprint to a 180 degree counter-clockwise turn that locks in place, and the voltage down to the hundreth of a volt, what is it that you would anticipate going wrong?

If there is a serious chance of something failing, I will remove it, but I am just not grasping it yet. I look at it the same as sticking on a new CAI that uses the same MAF sensor. If someone told me it could fail, I would just raise an eyebrow. I don't see the difference, as the important parts were carried over from the existing TB.
The problem "we" have with the aftermarket TB is they are worthless until you start making big power with FI or you have cams/heads/LT/intake etc. Otherwise, they are a bitch to tune properly and get the correct gains and HP.

You would have been better off spending your money on suspension pieces or a sticker.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Rob72
1st Gear Member

I'm taking your side Raredesign. I'm very happy with my BBK tb. I did everything that the instructions said and ran into no pcm problems. The instructions said not to worry about checking voltage unless a code is flashed. That was last year and still no problems. And comparing any mods with fi to any that are with a na motor is like comparing apples to oranges.

Last edited by Rob72; 03-27-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:07 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rob72
I'm taking your side Raredesign. I'm very happy with my BBK tb. I did everything that the instructions said and ran into no pcm problems. The instructions said not to worry about checking voltage unless a code is flashed. That was last year and still no problems. And comparing any mods with fi to any that are with a na motor is like comparing apples to oranges.
The point being made is there is no benifit from the TB for an NA motor like the OP has. Until you need a bigger opening for more air, from a need arising from FI haeds/cam/bolt on motor, then he's wasting money.

He should have gotten a tuner/cai combo instead.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Fresh_GT
2nd Gear Member

I don't think anyone who has seriously done any research about throttle bodies expects much from a new TB on this car. The math behind the possible air flow pretty clearly shows that the stock throttle body is more than capable up to X HP. However, by the same logic, the intake tubing should be more than capable to higher HP, yet that's always the first recommendation. The dynamics of intake size and air velocity has baffled the million dollar minds at F1 and cannot be simplified to say "this throttle body is better till X HP".

Not trying to say your right or wrong, just that the topic at hand is much more complex.

Not to mention the fact that warm boosted air flows totally differently than the much colder NA air.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:19 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

if you got the TB cheap then hey why not, that's a lot less than my KB stage 2 throttle body was! I just don't think there's a lot to be gained with it until you're running a lot of power like on a boosted setup.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:28 PM
Rob72
1st Gear Member

I consider my tb as a small step in the direction of getting cams, springs and hopefully porting the heads down the road.

Quick Reply: BBK throttle body voltage help needed!