Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 04:21 PM
qbuswell
2nd Gear Member

Default Intake

I have researched my brains out and I am am putting in a K&N drop in filter and getting a tune. I think I am going to get the tuner/tune from americanmuscle.com and getting the tune from Bama. Has anyone had problems with them or will thins work. I figure you get free tunes for life and I always have the option of getting a tune from someone else once I have the SCT SF3 tuner. Any advice? Thanks
Old 04-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Expect only 1-3 hp from the drop in only.
I've dynoed tested the K&N drop in's on a few cars and that's pretty much what I've seen.
In my experience, only the 2.5 T F4 in the Subaru's need a tune with even the drop in filter. Their AFR's are on the "critical" side of things that even adding a bit more air from a drop in can lean them out too much.
If you want more realistic and usable gains, you need a full CAI system.
Sorry can't help on tunes for the Mustang, haven't ventured their yet.

Good luck
Old 04-15-2010, 07:12 PM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Chris Rose at Tillman strongly recommended that I avoid "drop in" filters like this when running a tune. Logic here, both the drop-ins and the tune (when written for the stock intake and filter) lean up the air/fuel, and you could perhaps lean it out too much. There was also a tendency for owners to use too much oil on the K&Ns, and that oil would end up in the intake.

You're better off using a CAI that requires a tune, and then having the tune written for it.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:36 PM
qbuswell
2nd Gear Member

I just don't feel like spending $600 to $700 on the CAI/Tune combo right now. I keep reading that the tune gets you the most gain on our 2010 Mustangs anyway. I wanted to get some Flowmasters instead of the CAI. I figured with just the tuner I can get some gain now and add stuff to it later. I just want to get the best tuner and a tune from the best people.......Bama or brenspeed or whoever.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:17 PM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Yea, you're right -- the tune alone is the best bang for the buck. But, if you don't want the CAI, I just wouldn't waste your $ on the K&N either.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:32 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

Brenspeed Tunes are awesome I have them on my 10 GT cannot wait till they start writing new ones for the 5.0
Old 04-15-2010, 11:03 PM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

How much are the tunes on the GT?
How much power do they get the 4.6 liter?

Last edited by Driver72; 04-15-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:35 PM
qbuswell
2nd Gear Member

I installed my K&N drop in and took it for a spin. I know the car really well and I can't say I gained a bunch of Horse Power but I did feel better response from the throttle. I am positive it is not just in my head either. I think adding the higher flowing filter to the improved 2010 GT's intake allowed the engine to breathe in a lot better. I now am ready to move on to a tune from either Bama or Brenspeed......probably flowmaster american thunder classics first......Let the modding continue..
Old 04-16-2010, 05:56 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

did you go from 87 octane to 93 and feel the difference too?

sorry.. but i can't feel the difference in 10whp..i'm surprised you felt anything with a drop in.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:03 PM
qbuswell
2nd Gear Member

Like I said, I don't think that I feel More HorsePower....More throttle response......for $50 I think it was easy and cheap. I think a tune will compliment the system.

Quick Reply: Intake