Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Vortech winter help II

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 01:22 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default Vortech winter help II

http://www.wolverineheater.com/products.shtml

what do you guys think about me rigging something up so that I can heat up the blower 10-15 minutes prior to start up during the winter? the pad will pretty much be placed on the backside of the blower, hooked up to an AUX power outlet (key/power on/engine off), and then start it up safely once it's nice and warmed up enough.

Obviously I'll disconnect the power during the summer and zip tie the cord safely away from sharp/rotating parts.

Looking at the model 9 or 16. The vortech is a "torqueless wonder" so even with 480whp (intercooled), it's a pup under 2800 rpm so it's all good during winter driving...

for those who do not have a Vortech, the winter warning is pretty much to warm up the blower for 10-15 minutes via heating blanket or garage and use a small shop light placed over the blower over night. Engine block heater does nadda since it's a self-lubricated kit. If instructions are not followed, the blower destroys itself on start up.. the EXACT moment of start up! Being in Anchorage Alaska, it does get down to -25 on occasion..

Old 06-22-2010, 03:57 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Going to contact wolverineheater.com and get a customized heating pad, formatted to fit right on the back of the Vortech supercharger. Not sure about how to power it just yet, but I'll figure something out. I am thinking of possibly rigging it to work only when it's "key on/engine off" aux power only. Either that or I'll just have to sit in the car and allow the heating pad to do it's thing, 10-13 minutes before I start it up. Shouldn't be too much of a headache and it's better then using a heating blanket or shop light over night or every time I have to start her up lulz..
Old 06-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Man... I'm sorry you are having to go through such pain for that.
Just because you have to worry about it.
I worry alot about stuff and that would drive me BONKERS.

I can't believe that with today's technology centri's makers cant find a way to
help their customers out with such an issue in winter.
Shame on them.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:24 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

this whole thing sucks stealth!

my only thought on the subject is to mount a spare battery
and a switch in the trunk, solely for the heater blanket. you can
charge it periodically, when/where convenient.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

How much heat is too much though?
I mean really.. you gotta think about it two ways.

Maybe you could get an electric blanket and put the bitch over it haaha.

One thing's for sure.. You should contact Vortech and tell them to blow your hole.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:27 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

lol it does suck but I gotta do what I gotta do to have it working properly through the winter. Funny thing is, I talked to a sales rep at Pro-charger and they have no such issues with their units.. any of them, even their standard blower and how they have superchargers for industrial usage up North in Canada and Alaska as well.. no problems whatso ever. He even smirked at the idea of the vortech not being able to handle the winter weather conditions. Thought about just toughing it out just to see if it'll handle it, but a dude over at Allfordmustangs.com just blew out a bearing on his V3 after driving it through 2 winters.

This is all going to happen next year so this year, I'll still pull the blower before winter, thats no big deal (45 minute removal). If it really does prove to be a headache, I might just sell the Vortech and go Pro-charger H.O. kit all at once and be done with this issue.

on a side note, I did a 60-110mph pull today and damn I love this kit! 3rd gear-4th gear pulls great on the highway.. kinda hard letting something go that delivers such great results in power even if it's "only" 385hwp. It's all good.. if I do go pro-charger, it'll be twice as better.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:29 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
One thing's for sure.. You should contact Vortech and tell them to blow your hole.
already did.. they specifically told me NOT to use it during the winter without following all the precautions. If it does blow up and it's due to the winter issue, they will NOT cover it..

Doh!
Old 06-22-2010, 06:54 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
already did.. they specifically told me NOT to use it during the winter without following all the precautions. If it does blow up and it's due to the winter issue, they will NOT cover it..

Doh!

Holy shiat I would pop my top if they actually said that to me.
They should have stamped that **** in bold capital letters on their packaging and on their website.

A car is one of the most major investments in people's lives.
It is flat out wrong of them not to print big bold and clear such an important precaution.

Total B.S. scenario.

As far as I'm concerned the fact that they did that to you will make me NEVER even suggest a Vortech to anyone.
Stupid Facktards.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:14 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Holy shiat I would pop my top if they actually said that to me.
They should have stamped that **** in bold capital letters on their packaging and on their website.

A car is one of the most major investments in people's lives.
It is flat out wrong of them not to print big bold and clear such an important precaution.

Total B.S. scenario.

As far as I'm concerned the fact that they did that to you will make me NEVER even suggest a Vortech to anyone.
Stupid Facktards.
ditto.. they should have consulted with me BEFORE my purchase or brought it to my attention in the first place, but instead, it was conveniently tucked at the bottom of the packaging material at the very bottom of the box in a nice flat envelope. Like most people, I thought it was just the usual extended warranty crap and didn't even open it until 2 days AFTER installing the supercharger! Doh!

From what I read, they offer this warning now and only after a lot of people were blowing up their superchargers! lulz that sucks, but that's business.. they are just trying to cover their own asses and not ours if something were to happen.

Weird thing is, vortech and pro-charger look nearly identical, though I bet it has something to do with the differences in gears internally or something like that, not sure.

It's not a bad blower, just not good for winter or extreme conditions of cold. I might even keep it for a bit and mod around it until I can afford something that better for my situation.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:19 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by stealth_GT

It's not a bad blower, just not good for winter
I just can't consider an expensive mech component on a car a good device if it cannot survive a season of the year.
I just cant.

Again man I'm so sorry this happened to you.

Quick Reply: Vortech winter help II