Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

difference between Pro-charger and Vortechs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 02:55 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default difference between Pro-charger and Vortechs?

What are the differences internally between the two? and what makes one stronger than the other?

I know I sound like a broken record, but from what I have been told, Pro-chargers are good year round, while the Vortech is NOT at all for winter time use. This is directly from the companies themselves.

I have seen a few pics of both blowers opened up, and they look nearly identical.

My only guess is that one uses a stronger type of material vs the other and uses a different type of gearing pathway...

I contacted them again about the designs but they were kinda tight lipped about why theirs was better than the other.

Anyone?
Old 06-23-2010, 08:09 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I'm like you I have no idea.
But i'd be careful with buying ANY centri now.
Who's to say that Pro-charger isn't blowing smoke up your *** about their setups being fine under extreme cold.
Right?

I'd have a bad taste in my mouth for the centri's right now if I were you. Not trying to throw cold water on you just trying to help you to be VERY careful before you go back to a centri just because of what a company rep is saying.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:21 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

ditto.. I was thinking the same thing as well. They look nearly identical and the clearance levels are probaly as exact as the vortechs. Sucks because they are great kits that make good power.. the only drawback is that they are delicate in the sense that they can be destroyed easily. lulz as rudimentary as the Roots blowers go.. I might actually have to get one rather than any other blower out there, only because they are the most sturdy from what I have read.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:39 PM
mcstang
2nd Gear Member

Stealth, at what temp do you have to worry about the Vortech?
Old 06-23-2010, 12:59 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

they say -25, but as cold as -10...

yes. Gets as cold as that in alaska winters..

)-;
Old 06-23-2010, 02:23 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

FWIW, I've heard 'prchargers' referred to a 'proleakers', but that may have been with older models.
Unless internal materials are vastly different, I don't see either being that different from each other in terms of operability in the extreme cold.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:34 PM
2006Boss
1st Gear Member

I have been running a procharger for a lit over a year and no problems...I dont see temps that cold where Im at though...Maybe just down in the teens.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:40 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

.. all this talk about superchargers makes me think about the alernatives.. possibly the FRPP top end package, along with meth injection to the Vortech during the summer. It only takes about 45 mintutes to uninstall the head unit itself... I can still make a ton of power on the kit, I'll just have to take it on and off for the winter and mod around it. Swapping out snow tires takes a good 45 minutes lulz
Old 06-23-2010, 02:49 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2006Boss
I have been running a procharger for a lit over a year and no problems...I dont see temps that cold where Im at though...Maybe just down in the teens.
I will contact procharger again just to make sure it can withstand the frigid temps up here. The sales rep was pretty certain there were no winter warnings and that they use the same supercharger kits on the HO kits on their industrial kits up here in the north.