Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

new member and new to mustangs...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 10:57 AM
rebel_logan

Default new member and new to mustangs...

hi im logan I own a 2007 Mustang GT with a few mods... im new to mustangs and fairly new to cars in general... i already have a dual axle back borla exaust set up and a steeda CAI now i am looking to better my mpg... i tend to have a heavy foot and would like to get higher mpg im averaging 18 mpg in town and bout 21 highway... what could i do to gain mpg and keep my power?

thanks, logan
Old 08-19-2010, 11:15 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Get you a Tuner and let up a little on the skinny pedal. Are you running stock wheel & tire sizes?
Old 08-19-2010, 11:19 AM
rebel_logan

yes the car is all stock aside from exaust, CAI and a few accessories... what tuner would be good for mpg? and if i was to get new wheels and tires what sizes would be good?
Old 08-19-2010, 01:04 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Look at a SCT X3 programmer. I have one with custom tunes, and am getting 17-18 MPG around town and about 25-27 MPG out on the hiway. I have a 5M w/ 3.73's as well. With an auto, you have 3.31's, so you kind of want to stick with stock wheel and tire sizes. That will eat up gas as quick as anything, not to mention rob you of power.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:37 PM
rebel_logan

ok thanks i have a 5 speed with the stock gears.. so aside from a tuner, intake, and tire/wheel sizes, what else can be done for better mpg?
Old 08-19-2010, 01:58 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mapitts
let up a little on the skinny pedal.
nuff said
Old 08-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The Steeda CAI is a tune-required CAI. Without a tune, you should be throwing a CEL for running lean. Are you sure the car isn't running an updated tune?

As far as gas mileage, buy a Prius or a bike. You might be able to save 1 or 2 MPG if you adjust your driving style but no mod will give you any gains. Even an economy tune might only save 1 or 2 MPG and then the car will be a real dog. Lighten up on the acceleration, keep your cruising RPM's below 2000 RPM, use your cruise control, cost towards red lights and have good timing, inflate your tires to 32-33 PSI and properly maintain the overall condition of the car. Keep strict, hand calculated gas mileage and maintenance records and watch for negative trends. Repeat driving habits that give you positive trends.

Of course, you could always drive downhill only and keep a grappling hook handy for when a big truck passes you.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Grabborange
1st Gear Member

What octane are you tuned for. Assume you have a tuner since you have the CAI. Instead of worrying about gas mileage you could tune it for regular (87 octane) which is cheaper. You'll lose horsepower though.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:55 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

im new to mustangs and fairly new to cars in general

welcome

I've been driving fast cars for almost 40 years and still consider myself a newbie. May the learning never end. Enjoy your mustang
Old 08-20-2010, 10:03 AM
rebel_logan

thanks guys and im not trying to get 30+ mpg lol just 22 or 23 highway and 19 or 20 intown... i bought the car with the steeda CAI and it didnt come with a tuner.. so what tuner do i need to maintain the CAI and what does throwing a CEL mean?

after i bought it i had the header back borla exaust with the x pipe... and im looking to do a little more moding but not too much more and im pretty much done with performance after the tuner... thanks Logan

Quick Reply: new member and new to mustangs...