Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

STEEDA Tri-Ax missing 3rd!! :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 06:17 AM
ScoobyStang452

Default STEEDA Tri-Ax missing 3rd!! :(

A year ago the shifter dropped and was remounted. It did however grind a little bit on the drive shaft. Now it seems pretty loose and at high RPMs (3500+) trying to get into 3rd from 2nd is near impossible without slamming the shift handle into position. Wonder if I'm losing 3rd gear, the synchro or if the shifter has to be replaced or just re-adjusted. I am looking at a hurst shifter but in the mean time I want to fix this as much as I can.
Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:38 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Why are you looking at a hurst shifter if you think it might be a synchro? That makes no sense.

You should also be looking at clutch engagement. Put the rear wheels in the air on jackstands. With a friend watching put the shifter into first gear with the engine running with the clutch pedal pressed to the floor. If the wheels spin with your clutch pedal to the floor you are not getting full disengagement.

When going from second to 3rd, make sure you are not trying to guide the Tri-Ax youself. I see so many people who try to guide it themselves and simply keep the shifter from doing its own thing. Palm the shifter from behind and just push it forward. Let the shifter do all the work. Watch this video for the technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uEgBr-9RaM

Also, when the shifter was dropped last time did anyone disassemble it internally? We get calls once in a while from people who had a shop take their shifter apart for no good reason then don't know how to put it back together internally. We can rebuild it for you if that is the case free of charge. Only cost would be shipping to us.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:42 AM
ScoobyStang452

the hurst shifter is totally unrelated to the aforementioned. Just want to try it out...maybe. Not unhappy with the tri-ax in the least!!! I am curious as to how it would just "drop" out of it's mounting though. Because now it feels pretty loose with squeeking noises and rickity play in the lever itself.
I'll test out the clutch engagement this weekend between haloween functions and see if that reveals anything.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:55 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

The rear mounting point just bolts into the car like the factory shifter. If it was not tightened enough it could come loose over time. I would put some loctite on to make sure it never backs out.

If its loose internally that again makes me wonder if the base itself was ever disassembled. But like I mentioned earlier that can be sent to us for repair if need be.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:19 PM
ScoobyStang452

I disassembled the **** and took the boot off. The shift lever itself has both retaining screws holding the two piece loose. Solved the rattling/rickety play in the lever. The isolator rubber for the shift handle is shredded..suggestions?

Second...the rear mounting as you stated before is REAL loose!! the whole unit moved back and forth/up and down/side to side. Also the set-point screws in front and behind the lever are completely backed/screwed down not providing any "shift stop".

I'm aggravated. I trusted the guy who put it in and it looks like it was done half assed!!

That's what I get for not having a lift or a set of jack-stands.

I'll see about getting that all remedied this weekend and that should alleviate missing third along with the clutch engagement test.

Last edited by ScoobyStang452; 10-29-2010 at 03:00 PM.