Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Heads and Intake Manifold? (Gurus needed!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 11:16 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

yea i agree u might as well spend the money on FI and i would not go with a vortech. Id go with a roots or twinscrew. Twinscrews are more effecient. They are more exepensive but u will have more room to grow if u ever wanted more hp. im pushing 438 on my saleen and i feel very comfortable with that. I had a dyno custom tune from brenspeed so it should be about as safe as one can get.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
I've already got cams! I have the Hot Rod cams.
You don't think the intake manifold will help with heads and cams?

What do you mean? I've already got cams and LTs.....
Same to Sparta... why are you saying for me to get cams?
I've already got Hot Rod cams....

So you're saying the heads and intake would only give me
25-50 hp with all the mods I have right now?
I was referring to myself wanting cams/heads and LTs. My valve train is stockish with manley valves, comp springs and stock cams. Heads stock, shorty JBA equal length headers.

My car would get gigantic gains with the head/cam/LT package.

I would skip the intake manifold if it were me, get some long tubes, off road pipe with no cats and maybe call it good.

Your gains are going to depend more on what your overall combo is. I could see you getting 400 rwhp with a really nice set of heads, bigger cam, 1 7/8 headers, intake, throttle body, CAI and free flowing exhaust.

If you were to add heads and LT's, 25-50 seems reasonable. You have to remember that peak power is not as important as power under the curve. You may only gain, 15-20 peak hp, but have 45-50 extar rwtq and hp at lower RPMs. Make sense?

Whats your goal?
Old 12-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Elanor05
Smoke I was going to go the same route as you but I did the math and for the money spent in this N/A setup its cheaper getting a vortech supercharger. I was looking at Livernois Stage 2 heads which is 2099 plus 85.00 shipping, then VSR Cams, Springs, retainers, phaser limiters, hardware for the heads, head gaskets, and now your up too $ 3800.00. I see you have an aftermarket clutch thats good, plus I don't know how handy you are installing this stuff but if you need someone to install this stuff your looking at 1700.00 for labor now your at $ 5,500.00 and your doing this all for 380rwhp. Go with the vortech supercharger and get 450-475 rwhp. I mean do what you want buddy but remember building your heads is a crap load of money for an additional 65 rwhp. Brenspeed can install your supercharger for $650.00 oppose to your head build for 1700.00.

This is my opinion too. It's kind of what I was getting at with Blacksmoke when I asked him his goals. I think he wants to stay NA, but, maybe he just needs to see the light . . .

BUt holy crap, if he does get a blower, he will have even more questions!!!!

Just kidding. You rock.

For around $6000 you can buy a complete TS supercharger kit and make 475 rwhp. . . .Just saying . . ..
Old 12-10-2010, 12:32 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
yea i agree u might as well spend the money on FI and i would not go with a vortech. Id go with a roots or twinscrew. Twinscrews are more effecient.
Nothing wrong with Vortech.. at 6k rpm, you'll realize you made the right choice.

- At 2k rpm, you'd wonder where your money went lol

Old 12-10-2010, 12:37 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Simon1
I was referring to myself wanting cams/heads and LTs. My valve train is stockish with manley valves, comp springs and stock cams. Heads stock, shorty JBA equal length headers.

My car would get gigantic gains with the head/cam/LT package.

I would skip the intake manifold if it were me, get some long tubes, off road pipe with no cats and maybe call it good.

Your gains are going to depend more on what your overall combo is. I could see you getting 400 rwhp with a really nice set of heads, bigger cam, 1 7/8 headers, intake, throttle body, CAI and free flowing exhaust.

If you were to add heads and LT's, 25-50 seems reasonable. You have to remember that peak power is not as important as power under the curve. You may only gain, 15-20 peak hp, but have 45-50 extar rwtq and hp at lower RPMs. Make sense?

Whats your goal?
Actually I already have LT's.

I have the following now.
CAI
LT's
catted X
Hot Rod Cams
4.10's

My goal is to get close to 350 RWHP.
I would't mind getting 400.
I am just really curious as to what I would be at
with my CURRENT mods and adding heads and maybe the intake.
Or I could scratch the intake and add UDP's and delete plates instead.

Either way where would I be after adding those to my current mods?
Right now im at about 315-320RWHP
Old 12-10-2010, 12:38 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

What are your ETs/traps with your mods??
Old 12-10-2010, 12:52 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Actually I have not been able to take it to the track yet.
Our track closed and is basically rotting while we wait for someone to buy it and get it going again.

I have always wanted to track it but have not been able to.
My racing has consisted of getting buddies together on a closed wide road we have.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:10 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Blacksmoke, aka Paranoid One , my advise to you would be to do the UDPs and the CMDPs and then see where you are at on a dyno - my guess would be around 325 - 330 rwhp. This setup would probably be considered the most rwhp/rwtq that you can get while maintaining somewhat stock drivability.

Once you go beyond this setup with a bigger intake manifold, hi-flow heads, more aggresive cams, your everyday drivability will decrease as you gain horsepower above 5500 - 6000 rpms (maybe an additional 20 - 25 rwhp). So you need to ask yourself if you are willing to spend thousands more to gain 20 - 25 rwhp up top while losing drivability. IMO, if you are not a drag strip junkie, then you probably won't need to go further than your current setup + UDPs and CMDPs.

And don't forget about all of the worrying that will come with the "black lung" intake and the additional stress you will be putting on your engine. We will be inidated with worry posts from you til you are eventually banned from MF. Haha
Old 12-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
Blacksmoke, aka Paranoid One , my advise to you would be to do the UDPs and the CMDPs and then see where you are at on a dyno - my guess would be around 325 - 330 rwhp. This setup would probably be considered the most rwhp/rwtq that you can get while maintaining somewhat stock drivability.

Once you go beyond this setup with a bigger intake manifold, hi-flow heads, more aggresive cams, your everyday drivability will decrease as you gain horsepower above 5500 - 6000 rpms (maybe an additional 20 - 25 rwhp). So you need to ask yourself if you are willing to spend thousands more to gain 20 - 25 rwhp up top while losing drivability. IMO, if you are not a drag strip junkie, then you probably won't need to go further than your current setup + UDPs and CMDPs.

And don't forget about all of the worrying that will come with the "black lung" intake and the additional stress you will be putting on your engine. We will be inidated with worry posts from you til you are eventually banned from MF. Haha
I'm glad he has a sense of humor and understands we are teasing . . .

Hey, just FYI, if you are going out and getting a little grudge racing in on the weekends with your buddies, your best mod would be a really good set of drag radials. I daily drive them. But I never drive in the rain, more out of not wanting to clean my car again then for safety.

I have 540 rwhp and can dead hook from a 5 mph roll on the street when the pavement isn't cold.

You gain more in your street racing from that than all of the things mentioned in this thread.

Except a supercharger.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I may just go with the UDP's and deletes then.

How much low end am I looking at losing with the deletes?
And dammit someone needs to change my sig title to paranoid MFer lol.

Quick Reply: Heads and Intake Manifold? (Gurus needed!)